• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tim Burton's 'Nightmare' recurs - USA TODAY 10/18/06

Burton's 'Nightmare' recurs

Posted 10/17/2006 9:08 PM ET

Robert Hanashiro, USA TODAY
    Tim Burton's Nightmare Before Christmas will be in theaters Friday.
    He says 3-D "makes the movie weirdly better."

By Claudia Puig, USA TODAY

Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas has a new dimension to its spookiness, after all these years. And the years add up, appropriately enough, to 13.

With Halloween looming around the corner, Friday the 13th just passed, and in celebration of its significant anniversary, The Nightmare Before ChristmasNightmare stands alone. There will not be another installment, he says. But that's not for lack of trying on the part of Disney, the studio that released NightmareThe Corpse Bride and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and who is in pre-production on the screen adaptation of another macabre story, Sweeney Todd Jack Visits Thanksgiving World."

Part of his desire to keep the movie a solo offering has to do with the connection the stop-motion animated film has forged with die-hard fans.

"You can't screw around with that," says Burton. "It's not a mass-market kind of thing. It's kind of specialized."
    The movie's enduring popularity has surprised even Burton. "It sort of snuck up on me," he says. "The goal in my mind was a kind of emotional payback for (holiday specials like) Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer and How the Grinch Stole ChristmasTim Burton's Nightmare Before Christmas,Nightmare on Elm Street kind of thing," he says. "I thought having my name on it might end up actually frightening people more. But they thought differently."

Meanwhile Burton is gearing up for his favorite holiday, with Helena Bonham Carter and their son, Billy Raymond, 3.
    "I like the run-up from Halloween to Christmas," he says. "It's quite an electric, emotional time of year."
    And now that he's a dad, he gets to share the spooky thrills.

Though Billy Raymond is not quite ready for the film experience, Burton says, he likes to play with his Nightmare toys.
    "He likes Jack. He's got a great Jack pillow," he says, rifling through his wallet for photos of his boy dressed in a skeleton suit.

When told the golden-haired toddler resembles his actress mother, Burton agrees. "Luckily, he looks more like her. It's probably for the best."
    Last edited by ALIASd; 10-17-2006, 10:23 PM. Reason: sp
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Ad Widget