X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Mary Poppins' umbrella sales increasing

'Mary Poppins' umbrella sales increasing

NEW YORK, Oct. 19 (UPI) -- Since the musical "Mary Poppins" began previews Saturday at New York's New Amsterdam Theatre, sales of its trademark umbrella have dramatically increased.

The parrot-handled umbrella used in the stage production has become a popular sales item at the New York locale since the musical's launch -- despite its $40 price tag -- said the New York Post.

The item which the famous magical nanny calls her own pales in comparison in cost to the "retractable beak" umbrella the Walt Disney Co., whose 1961 film popularized the musical, sells online.

That piece of memorabilia from the Hollywood studio's Web site costs $99.95 per umbrella, the Post said.
    http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/view.ph...9-060319-7154r
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Re: 'Mary Poppins' umbrella sales increasing

I've been wanting one of these SO bad! Ever since I found them online on the London Musical web site!

Comment

Id buy it.
      "I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. "Groucho Marx

Comment

Sell Them at WDW they sure would come in handy for those aftenoon downpours )

"To All Who Come To This Happy Place Your Welcome!"

Comment

I'd buy that in a heartbeat !! Thanks for the post. I' see if I can find the "retractable beak" umbrella online.
          Mark

Contribute to my Johari or start your own!!
          http://kevan.org/johari?view=MarkS01

Comment

I'll have to remember this next month.
            Amanda
            Just remember without a well written Disney Villain, there would be no point in the Heroes and the Princesses. Have you hugged a Disney Villain today? :love:

Comment

:lol: One of the guys I worked with had one and loved it. I wonder if the cast and crew has the fun umbrella... :croll:

Comment

Yeah, I saw the show in London last year when it first opened, and I almost bought the umbrella...Mary Poppins is my fav Disney movie, and I thought it would be cool to have her parrot umbrella...but it was 25 pounds which equals about 50 dollars, so I perhaps I'll buy it in NY :0)
                *~*~*Prince Dalton*~*~*

Comment

Is there a tiny caution on each brolly reading: "WARNING: Do not attempt to fly"?

Comment

Originally posted by princedalton View Post
                    Yeah, I saw the show in London last year when it first opened, and I almost bought the umbrella...Mary Poppins is my fav Disney movie, and I thought it would be cool to have her parrot umbrella...but it was 25 pounds which equals about 50 dollars, so I perhaps I'll buy it in NY :0)
                    Did you like the musical??

Comment

I picked up the umbrella today, and it was $40.

Still the most expensive umbrella I have ever bought, but whatever...it's Mary Poppins!
                      Amanda
                      Just remember without a well written Disney Villain, there would be no point in the Heroes and the Princesses. Have you hugged a Disney Villain today? :love:

Comment

Here is a link to the cool version at disneyshopping.com:

http://disneyshopping.go.com/webapp/...tegoryId=14843

>>Mary Poppins Articulated Parrot-Handled Umbrella

$99.95 (Item #96483P)

After Mary Poppins arrived with her fanciful Parrot-handled umbrella, Number 17 Cherry Tree Lane was never the same again. Walt Disney Collectibles presents this practically perfect umbrella, inspired by the original prop from Walt Disney's 1964 musical masterpiece ''Mary Poppins.'' The wooden Parrot handle observes the world through baleful glass eyes...un-moved until a deft touch of the hand opens its articulated beak, which opens and closes like a puppet. Adventure is yours until the wind changes. This item is not 100% water resistant. Comes in sensible lined-box. 39'' L x 3'' W x 2'' D. Wood, Iron, 100% Cotton. Certificate of Authenticity. Imported.<<

Comment

Tuner trumpet their trinkets

Musicals ring up millions in sales
                          with range of sophisticated souvenirs

By Gordon Cox
                          Variety
                          January 1, 2007

Broadway merchandising is growing up.

Twenty years ago it wasn't uncommon for theaters to stock a skimpy inventory of souvenir T-shirts, posters and programs.

But swag has evolved ever since tuners such as "The Phantom of the Opera" learned the marketing value of iconic logos. Now some newer kids on the block -- including "The Color Purple" and "Wicked," which reports 2006 merchandise receipts of a whopping $6.25 million at the show's Broadway outpost alone -- have raised the stakes even higher, turning merchandise into a booming ancillary biz.

"Merchandising has gotten more sophisticated," says David Schrader, managing director and chief financial officer of Disney Theatrical Prods., which trades on its own shows (including "Mary Poppins" and "The Lion King") in the U.S. and the U.K. "Sellers are paying more attention and getting a little smarter, and the consumer seems to be more accepting of it."

Disney has always done well on the merchandise front, which is no surprise to those who associate Broadway trinkets with kids' stuff such as "The Lion King's" Simba beanbag, one of that production's top-selling items.

But even Disney didn't expect a higher-end product for grown-ups, a sturdy parrot-head umbrella that retails for $40, to turn into the strong seller it has become for "Mary Poppins."
                          http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...goryid=15&cs=1
                          "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Comment

Originally posted by merlinjones View Post
                            Here is a link to the cool version at disneyshopping.com:

http://disneyshopping.go.com/webapp/...tegoryId=14843

>>Mary Poppins Articulated Parrot-Handled Umbrella

$99.95 (Item #96483P)

After Mary Poppins arrived with her fanciful Parrot-handled umbrella, Number 17 Cherry Tree Lane was never the same again. Walt Disney Collectibles presents this practically perfect umbrella, inspired by the original prop from Walt Disney's 1964 musical masterpiece ''Mary Poppins.'' The wooden Parrot handle observes the world through baleful glass eyes...un-moved until a deft touch of the hand opens its articulated beak, which opens and closes like a puppet. Adventure is yours until the wind changes. This item is not 100&#37; water resistant. Comes in sensible lined-box. 39'' L x 3'' W x 2'' D. Wood, Iron, 100% Cotton. Certificate of Authenticity. Imported.<<
                            Now on sale for $49.99!!

It wasn't me, it was Lisa! :angel:

Comment

I want one!

Comment

So where can I find one for $40 then??
                                and I WANT ONE OF THESE SO MUCH!!!!
                                (excuse me )

Comment

This item is not 100% water resistant.
                                  hmm, not 100%, so is it or is it not okay for use in actual rain?

ETA: found this one
                                  "the $40 one", and it is nylon and appears this one will keep you dry for sure
                                  Last edited by Hippie; 01-05-2007, 10:20 AM.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                  Working...
                                  X