This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flags Of Our Fathers

Has anyone heard the buzz about this? Clint Eastwood has been making two movies side by side. Flags Of Our Fathers tells the story of the battle at Iwo Jima form the perspective of the American soldiershow bravely fought for their country. Letters From Iwo Jima tells the story of the war from the perspective of the japanese who fought for the honor of their nation.

I have already heard a couple of heart wrenching stories of how Flags Of Our Fathers is opening the dialogue between the men who were there and their families. War stories that have been buried deep in their hearts and minds are ready to be told.

I am hoping to find the time to go see both films. My husband and I don't get out to regular movies very much, but we are going to find the time to see this together.

From what I have heard, Letters From Iwo Jima is the more powerful of the two films.
    Anything listed on the park maps as an attraction is fair game for inclusion in the Rally.
    I cannot confirm nor deny the inclusion of any attraction in the Rally.

May the Gumballs Be with You...Always.

NO GOATS!

Re: Flags Of Our Fathers

Here's a good piece on the film.

Unconventional path for Eastwood's 'Flags'

By Gregg Kilday
    The Hollywood Reporter
    October 20, 2006

With its moody depiction of the iconic flag-raising atop Iwo Jima, the one-sheet for Clint Eastwood's "Flags of Our Fathers," opening today, promises a conventional exercise in wartime heroics. But as moviegoers are about to discover, when Eastwood hits the beach, the path he takes is anything but conventional.

Based on James Bradley's nonfiction best-seller, "Flags" isn't a simple celebration of men under fire but a more complicated study of the nature of heroism. And formally, the screenplay, which was begun by William Broyles Jr. ("Jarhead") and reworked by "Crash's" Paul Haggis, takes an even more unorthodox route.
    full article at http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr..._id=1003285777
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Comment

I have quite a few co-workers reading this book. I probably will watch these in the theater on the first day. It looks like Mr. Eastwood is looking for another Oscar. Good for him.
      Last edited by Alchimedes; 10-21-2006, 11:02 AM. Reason: mispell
      1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Comment

I saw Flags of Our Fathers last night. The movie was great, although it messes with your idea of what a hero is. It's great that a movie does that, but I can't help but feel like a part of my innocence (or naivety, whichever you like) was lost while watching the film. I'm beginning to question a lot of things about America's past...

Anyone else feel similar?

Comment

I saw it and I did not care for it. I thought it was a confusing movie saying there is no right and wrong and I won't be seeing Clint's version of Japan's side of the battle of Iwo Jima. What's next, a movie from the Nazi point of view? But then I didn't like his Unforgiven either.
          "There's a Great, Big Beautiful Tomorrow ... Waiting at the End of Every Day." -- Disneyland's Carousel of Progress

Comment

Originally posted by Soulquarian View Post
            I'm beginning to question a lot of things about America's past...
            Very good! You and everyone else should!

Comment

Originally posted by HeavensLight View Post
              I saw it and I did not care for it. I thought it was a confusing movie saying there is no right and wrong and I won't be seeing Clint's version of Japan's side of the battle of Iwo Jima. What's next, a movie from the Nazi point of view? But then I didn't like his Unforgiven either.
              :lmao:

Comment

Originally posted by HeavensLight View Post
                There are two sides to every story. The moment we dismiss the other side just because, is the moment we become just as bad as we consider them to be...

IMO of course.

Comment

Haven't seen the movie, loved the book.

Comment

Originally posted by DisneySeaFan View Post
                    Haven't seen the movie, loved the book.
                    I just read the book recently, and went to see the movie last night.

Both are excellent. I heartily recommend this movie. Eastwood did an excellent job.

In my mind, there is no question that this film is told in a way that praises the heroic Marines that won this bloody, bloody battle.

What it does more than anything, like other recent World War Two films, is to strip any sense of "romance" from the notion of war itself. It is a terrible business, and even many of those who survive it are doomed to a lifetime of silence and nightmares surrounding it.

And it reminds us that taking things out of context, blowing them out of all proportion, and even misplaced hero worship are all part of "the American Way".

Bravo to the author, John Bradley...bravo to Eastwood and Spielberg and the rest of the cast and crew...and mostly bravo to those brave Marines who never made it back from that nasty place.

--Barry
                    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X