Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Disney Store?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Disney Store?

    Is it any good to work at the Disney Store? I am pursuing a job at the one at QuailSprings Mall here in OKC. They start good pay and plus they have four job openings. Is it anything like working in a Disney park merchandising store?

  • #2
    I don't think it would be as much fun as working in the parks. I had applied at the DS near me and they never called me back. A few months later, I'm working DCA! Been there for over 4 years now. Good luck!
    I want my cake back!
    sigpic

    Comment


    • #3
      My condolences.

      Comment


      • #4
        Oh TheManator, TheManator, TheManator...

        Granted, I haven't worked at the stores, only at the parks. But I have known people who worked at the stores, and, as a former CM of Disney in general, I feel I have something to contribute here.

        Right now, you are VERY comfortable with your conviction that Eisner is a good guy. I'd hate to see you put in a position of disillusionment. Granted, "The Children's Place" now owns the stores, so perhaps you wouldn't be put in that position. But working there will change you, and change your attitudes as well as your approach.

        That said, there are certainly good reasons to do it, and as long as you are open to the idea that you may hear and learn things you do not currently agree with, it could be a worthwhile experience for you.

        Aw heck, go for it, it'd be good for ya

        Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...


        Comment


        • #5
          I love to hear how the OLC employees working at their Disney Stores in Japan feel about working there.... Hmmm...

          Comment


          • #6
            At one time, the Disney Stores were fun to work in. I had two close friends working in one of the Kansas City stores in the 90s. However, they changed everything around during the Pressler years and started pushing for more agressive sales. At the same time, they cut back on positions and upkeep in the stores. To make things worse, they started to focus only on childres clothes and toys, pushing out most of the adult clothes and collectables.

            Saddly, the Disney Stores are just a shadow of their former selves.

            However, if you are in OKC, the Stores are as Disney as you are going to get. I'd say go for it. At the worst, you can always quit!

            Let us know if you get the job.

            -Dusty
            MiceChat 101: Be NICE! If you don't play well with others, you are in the wrong sandbox.

            Find us on Facebook: .

            How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,
            Save

            Comment


            • #7
              They also used to have a wonderful watch collection to choose from.
              I have a Gepetto pocket watch and a Mad Hatter Wrist watch from the disneystore
              "He gets around you know he knows all the pretty girls." ~ Walt Disney

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Dustysage
                At one time, the Disney Stores were fun to work in. I had two close friends working in one of the Kansas City stores in the 90s. However, they changed everything around during the Pressler years and started pushing for more agressive sales. At the same time, they cut back on positions and upkeep in the stores. To make things worse, they started to focus only on childres clothes and toys, pushing out most of the adult clothes and collectables.

                Saddly, the Disney Stores are just a shadow of their former selves.

                However, if you are in OKC, the Stores are as Disney as you are going to get. I'd say go for it. At the worst, you can always quit!

                Let us know if you get the job.

                -Dusty
                Exactly the spot I have been in. The stores are now owned by The Children's Place (TCP), yes. The stores have gone through many changes.. but TCP is changing them again for the better.

                1) New product. We are starting to get new product in the stores including new styles and designs. This includes infant clothing to come in the fall and an expansion in adult clothing.
                2) Remodels. The stores are going to be remodeled soon. Many of them already have dates set or will be completed within the next calendar year. The new designs will fit well with the look of many other stores in the mall to help the stores look and feel fresh. The other main focus is on more animation or should I say characters. As much as there was before, more will be added!
                3) New and old. Many stores were closed after the quick Pressler expansion era. Some of these stores will be re-opening in the same location or in a better location that is still close. There will also be new store locations added along with the new outlet stores that are opening also.
                4) Better pricing. The idea is to have low prices, always. Instead of being on sale from time to time certain items will be on sale more. Also, many items got a permanent markdown.
                Regular prices:
                kid's tees $10.50 -> $9.50
                adult tees $16.50 -> $12.50
                regular size plush (mickey, minnie, etc) $16.60 -> $14.50
                smaller, specialty plush $12.50 -> $9.50

                Those are just some examples. But then sales are added on top of that. :o

                Yes, the stores are focused on selling... any store or business is but it is done so in a fun and rewarding way. Given strong managment I'm sure your experience at the store will be amazing!
                Last edited by BigPigletFan; 05-12-2005, 08:49 AM. Reason: $95 - $9.50

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by BigPigletFan
                  kid's tees $10.50 -> $95.0
                  $95 Dollars for a childrens T-Shirt!!!!! :P

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I may like the work Eisner has done, but that doesn't mean that I don't love Disney. I feel like Eisner has done much good for Disney; well, at least more good than bad. Until I move to FL next year, this Disney Store experience will help me with my understanding (more) of the company.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by TheManator
                      I may like the work Eisner has done, but that doesn't mean that I don't love Disney. I feel like Eisner has done much good for Disney; well, at least more good than bad. Until I move to FL next year, this Disney Store experience will help me with my understanding (more) of the company.
                      Eisner did only a quick mention of of the sale of the stores at the shareholder's meeting. Yes, you will learn about the Disney company although you are not exactly affiliated with it. You might just end up learning more about TCP and what Disney no longer offers at the store (DVC discounts, AP tickets, etc.)

                      On another note the first new Disney store has opened in Queens, NY.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        While TCP is going to offer better prices and open more stores there will be a "price to pay". TCP will not have the quality merchandise that TDS had. They don't care if the shirt falls apart after 3 washes or Mickey fades. You bought it cheap that is there take. They also plan to expand the chain to over 700 stores again. Do some cities really need a Disney Store in EVERY mall? Disney Stores will soon stop carry any form of Disney media (The Incredibles was the last pre-purchase Disney movie). Lastly, TCP specializes in children and they plan to take DS back to a complete child focus. Adult merchandise will soon become a thing of the past like it did before.

                        Oh yeah, the "contract" for the Disney Store license name that TCP has has an annual renewal on it. Disney can cancel the "name" Disney Store with TCP next year if they want to.

                        Thankfully there is still DisneyDirect - Whew!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Why don't you give it a try? It is not Disney, but it is a "Disney-like" experience. You'll also receive three complimentary park passes a year, 30% off Disney Store merchandise and Children's Place merchanidise.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by burgirl
                            While TCP is going to offer better prices and open more stores there will be a "price to pay". TCP will not have the quality merchandise that TDS had. They don't care if the shirt falls apart after 3 washes or Mickey fades. You bought it cheap that is there take. They also plan to expand the chain to over 700 stores again. Do some cities really need a Disney Store in EVERY mall? Disney Stores will soon stop carry any form of Disney media (The Incredibles was the last pre-purchase Disney movie). Lastly, TCP specializes in children and they plan to take DS back to a complete child focus. Adult merchandise will soon become a thing of the past like it did before.

                            Oh yeah, the "contract" for the Disney Store license name that TCP has has an annual renewal on it. Disney can cancel the "name" Disney Store with TCP next year if they want to.

                            Thankfully there is still DisneyDirect - Whew!
                            Last edited by BigPigletFan; 05-17-2005, 01:03 AM.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Well, the Disney Stores I have visited this past year, only four, have had a great selection for Adults. Hell, I bought several Donald shirts for adults :P Hell, I've had two of them for more than six months, and wear them often, but they didn't 'fall apart' after three months. In fact, those two shirts have had their colour longer than some of my shirts from WDW and DL!

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                Originally posted by TheManator
                                Well, the Disney Stores I have visited this past year, only four, have had a great selection for Adults. Hell, I bought several Donald shirts for adults :P Hell, I've had two of them for more than six months, and wear them often, but they didn't 'fall apart' after three months. In fact, those two shirts have had their colour longer than some of my shirts from WDW and DL!
                                Yes, and keep in mind these changes I am talking about are quite recent too. So if you went in the stores in December and were upset with the lack of adult clothing.. that was still all of Disney's merchandise. So go back and visit before you get upset and vent again.

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  Originally posted by burgirl
                                  While TCP is going to offer better prices and open more stores there will be a "price to pay". TCP will not have the quality merchandise that TDS had. They don't care if the shirt falls apart after 3 washes or Mickey fades. You bought it cheap that is there take. They also plan to expand the chain to over 700 stores again. Do some cities really need a Disney Store in EVERY mall? Disney Stores will soon stop carry any form of Disney media (The Incredibles was the last pre-purchase Disney movie). Lastly, TCP specializes in children and they plan to take DS back to a complete child focus. Adult merchandise will soon become a thing of the past like it did before.
                                  I don't agree that there will be a price to pay with the quality of the merchandise. I've got 2 little boys and I love the clothing at TCP. My kids put their clothing through the ultimate test and after continuous washes these shirts have still kept their color and shape. Let me tell you, they have held up much longer than the clothing I bought at the Disney Store when Disney owned it.

                                  As far as adult merchandise becoming a thing of the past...who knows as its all a matter of sales. If the adult merchandise (clothing) doesn't sell, why carry it? But then again, we walked into a DS the other day and saw they finally had the coolest adult t-shirts that we haven't seen in a long time. To me, I think they were actually a lot better in design than the ones at DL park.

                                  Comment

                                  Get Away Today Footer

                                  Collapse
                                  Working...
                                  X