This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cousin Orville
    Talk about humiliation, Bob Iger has been beaten up in the press by Eisner and everyone else mercilously as someone who is "a nice guy, but has no creative abilities".
    It would be my guess, if I was Mister Iger that I would now have a chance to refute these damning critiques and really make a name for myself beyond the shadow of Eisner. Decentralizing biz development decisions to the divisions is a big step and shows that he is not the micromanager that Michael was. That aloone shows strong leadership and telegraphs trust to all those heads, they will now be loyal to him as they are also accountable. I don't think Iger pertends to be someone he's not, and at the same time will really work hard to make a reputation for himself as a great leader at the company. It's show time for him and I'm hoping he does a great job. We'll have to see how he handles creative challenges. I do think the lawsuit is credible, just not sure what the result will do for the company.
    Most of this is true, and would be very re-assuring if we are talking about ABC, or Warner Brothers or Univeral or Standard Oil. But Disney is different. Iger has no interest, nor ever has had any interest in theme parks or animation. And those department heads he just gave power to...David Sainton at WDFA and Jay Rasulo at WDP&R actually came from Strat Planning. These are the guys who killed Animation and are currently killing WDI. These are the guys being handed more power.

I'm sorry, I've been holding back until now, but I'm getting angry. You guys out there in fan world do not know how bad it is inside Disney. You just don't know. Read DisneyWar, go to SaveDisney, see Dream on Silly Dreamer. If you guys care about the parks, Bob Iger is not your guy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Mr. Eggz; 05-15-2005, 03:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sir clinksalot
      My company just changed CEO's ... there was only 1 candidate period. This is not an unusual situation.
      Did your board CEO recived a 45% no confidence vote and your board Chairman 25%. Did your chairman say that there would be a thurough inteview process that would take 10 months and then not release the details to the stock holders?

There is no basis for this lawsuit. Just because they didn't interview outside candidates, just because Eisner was in on the interviews doesn't mean that you can just sue them.
      It seams that the Court of the state of Delaware disagees with you, as they have accepted the complaint. Did you read the complaint?

The Board of Directors of the Walt Disney Company, George Mitchell, said that Eisner would not sit in on the interviews and then it turns out Eisner did. One of two things happened, either Eisner bullied Mitchell into being present for the interview which means Mitchell is not stong enough to represent the interests of the share holders, or Mitchell lied to the owners of the company. Are these acceptible practices for a publically owned company?

This lawsuit has no justification, it's frivolous and has no point other than to divert attention from the good things going on with the company right now.
      Good things? Like the lay off of people who have been with the company for 25 years?

I have also seen it quoted that the SaveDisney people don't think Iger is capable of doing the job. He hasn't even started yet, give the guy a chance.
      He was the President and COO for 5 years. He lied to the board of Directors about FOX family. He had his chance.

Comment

Even though Roy is the largest shareholder?
        Roy may be the largest Shareholder, but he doesn't hold a sizeable portion of the company. The various groups like CalPERS have the most influence. Roy should not have any more say than Joe Nobody with 1 share.
        Roy's name alone, forgetting all he's done for the company, should count for something.
        To quote Shakespeare, "What's in a name?" Why should his last name count for anything? He is not Walt. He does not know what Walt would do. If you're going to use this logic, the person with the most say should be Diane Disney-Miller.
        Iger had his chance as President/COO and did nothing.
        If you do believe that Michael Eisner is a micromanager, then he was kept under close watch during his presidency. We won't be able to fully know how well Iger does until the end of this year. Likewise, what did Roy do? He did not do a damn thing even though he says problems arose in '94. If he trully felt it was bad, he would have left then. Why did he leave in 2003? Because he was kicked out. If it weren't for the age limit, Roy would still be at the WDC not making a deal about anything. Roy only did anything because he lost his job.
        Jay Rasulo at WDP&R actually came from Strat Planning....
        Rasulo is one of the good guys. It was Pressler who was bad for the parks. Rasulo is doing good things (along with Oumiatt and Weiss).
        Good things?
        Yeah, like multi-hundred-million-dollar attractions, Extreme Makeover for Disneyland, Extreme Makeover for ABC (which has at least 5 bona fide hits & has the largest season-to-season audience growth for any major network in the coveted adult 18-49 demographic in at least 25 years), big movies (in the present and future), stock price up, and more things I can't think of right now.

-Michael
        Walt Disney

Comment

<<To quote Shakespeare, "What's in a name?" Why should his last name count for anything? He is not Walt. He does not know what Walt would do. If you're going to use this logic, the person with the most say should be Diane Disney-Miller.>>

What's in a name? Plenty. Roy's father and uncle formed the company and were responsible for making it one of the best known companies in the world -- and most loved. Roy himself worked for the company in films and televsion before becoming a board member and later the vice chairman of the company, and head of animation.

He knows the inner workings of the company as much as anyone. Look, I know you have an unnatural attatchment to Michael Eisner. I do understand that. He was once a personal hero of mine and I've had the priv...the experience of meeting him on more than one occassion. That was then, after he (because of Roy Disney) along with Frank Wells and Jeffrey Katzenburg not only saved the company, but brought a moribound studios back from the dead in both animation and live action. But the last decade has been a constant push in the other direction. Disney, and Eisner, became pulled too thin. And quality went from being the primary motivation of anything with the Disney name to something far less.

I don't think Roy Disney is perfect. I don't think he should be running Disney. I don't think he's a saint. But, yes, his name should count for a hell of a lot.

As for Diane, she's never been a part of the company (not even a board member unlike her now-deceased sister Sharon). That was even when husband Ron was running Disney. Should her opinion matter? To some degree, absolutely. But she shouldn't simply have power handed to her. That's not what I'm advocating with Roy. He's earned it.

<<If it weren't for the age limit, Roy would still be at the WDC not making a deal about anything. Roy only did anything because he lost his job.>>

Sadly, this is something I am almost in agreement with you about. It does seem Roy and Stan only went public with their issues when they were about to be kicked off the board. I certainly would have more empathy for them if they had gone public 2-4 years sooner.

<<Rasulo is one of the good guys. It was Pressler who was bad for the parks. Rasulo is doing good things (along with Oumiatt and Weiss).>>

Well, I do think Rasulo 'gets it' to some degree when it comes to the parks. But I also have major issues with what's been going on at WDW in terms of quality, show and upkeep ... I think the jury is certainly out on him. And I believe Al Weiss's time has come and gone. WDW needs fresh blood in the executive suite. Quality has nosedived in the last decade with Weiss at the helm.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
          Working...
          X