• Show
Clear All

• 'The Shadow' knows Sam Raimi

Raimi sees 'Shadow' at Columbia

'Spider-Man' director teams with studio on superhero

By Erin Maxwell
    Variety
    December 11, 2006

Sam Raimi is prepping to produce a new adaptation of "The Shadow" at Columbia.

The deal comes after a lengthy negotiation with the studio to nab the rights to the Walter B. Gibson superhero with the power to impair the minds of men. The project is set with Raimi and Josh Donen under their Buckaroo Entertainment banner.

"The Shadow" began in pulp novels in the 1930s before becoming a legendary CBS radio show, which starred a young Orson Welles. Since then, "The Shadow" has been adapted for comics, books, television and several film versions, including Universal's 1994 big-budget pic starring Alec Baldwin. The film grossed $32 million at the box office.

No word on whether Raimi will helm the superhero's bigscreen revival.
    http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...goryid=13&cs=1

"If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Re: 'The Shadow' knows Sam Raimi

Woohoo!

I've been a Shadow fan for many years... not sure how many more out there there are, though. After all, the 1994 Universal film didn't do too well.

I have faith in Sam Raimi, though.
    -Tim

Comment

Let me guess, if Sam Raimi is on board, so is Bruce Campbell.

Comment

Was I the only one who liked the 94 movie? Wait I was 9 when it came out... I still like it.

Why not re-do Dick Tracy and the Phantom while they are at it.

I'm mixed on this.

Comment

Actually, I quite liked the 94 version. Alec Baldwin portrayed Lamont Cranston rather well, I thought.
          -Tim

Comment

Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?...the Shadow knows!
            I am a huge Shadow fan. Ever since KNX1070 (in L.A.) would play it during it's drama hour around 15 years ago (which I don't think they have anymore). Now I listen to it on XM. This movie would be cool. I'd see anything Superhero related that Sam directs, but he's only producing this. Maybe it'll still be good. I saw the 94 movie and it was ok. I think it could have been more edgy. It was often an edgy show bakc in the day. Anyone remember the episodes where people were eaten alive by rats, or where an evil midget posed as a child and committed murders? So who would be a good "wealthy young man about town"? Remember everyone... "the weed of crime bears bitter fruit!"

Comment

My cat's name is shadow.... .
              St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

Comment

Personally, I also loved the 94 movie. Shame most people didn't. I still tend to answer the door to friends with "The Sun is Shining..." Still, if Raimi were to helm this, it should be at least as entertaining.

Comment

I've been a Shadow fan for many years... not sure how many more out there there are, though. After all, the 1994 Universal film didn't do too well.
                  i'm hear with yhea! i'm a hugh shadow fan, (it's my second favorite movie of all time), I LOVE THIS MOVIE, and would love to see another one

Why not re-do Dick Tracy and the Phantom
                  i don't know about Dick Tracy cause that was such a classic, the phantom though i watched today and would love to see another mabye while there at it they could make another Rocketeer, theres a reallly good movie
                  sigpicDISNEYROYALTY

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X