Announcement

Collapse

Your Assistance Please

We need your help to battle spammers and also to keep our community user friendly.
PLEASE BE KIND TO OTHERS - Refrain from personal attacks. Avoid politics and harsh language whenever possible. If someone is violating our simple rules, DO NOT confront them, simply report the post.
STOP SPAMMERS - Report the post. DO NOT respond to them.

2017 is a year of renewal for us, we have lots of exciting changes on the way for you, but we don't have time to deal with trolls and spammers. If you find yourself suspended and need to plead your case, you will need to do so after your suspension. We are happy to address your concerns if you made a simple mistake. However, please note that those with a history of bad behavior and pushing our rules to the limit will not be given the courtesy of a reply.

MiceChat offers a number of ways for you to communicate and get involved. We offer Facebook Groups and Pages, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest accounts. We have a front page filled with amazing content. We offer weekly meetups in the parks. Meets and events all over the world. Podcasts and videos. And we continue to maintain forums for your posting convenience. But with all those options, we can't be everywhere all the time. We need YOUR help. Please don't poke the trolls. Report posts and leave reputation. We'll do our best to keep the forums clean and active, but we can't do so without your help.

Thank you for your support folks, it's going to be a really fantastic year in the MiceChat world.
See more
See less

Oscar Nominations: 'Dreamgirls' denied best picture nomination - MSNBC, 1/23/07

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oscar Nominations: 'Dreamgirls' denied best picture nomination - MSNBC, 1/23/07

MSNBC, 1/23/07

Full Story:
    Follow me on Twitter and Facebook.

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest received four nominations for Art Direction, Sound Editing, Sound Mixing and Visual Effects.

Cars received two nominations for Best Animated Film and Original Song.

Apocalypto was nominated for Makeup, Sound Editing and Sound Mixing.

The complete list of nominees is at www.oscar.com.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by sir clinksalot View Post
          I dunno, I think A.M.P.A.S. REALLY needs to get with the times here and start recongnizing great comedic performances.

I mean, to nominte Peter O'Toole just because his name is Peter O'toole is stupid. From all accounts I've heard his performance in Venus is good ... but not at all award worthy.
          The only way to really know is to actually see the films yourself, then the feeling of an Academy Award-worthy performance will seem justified.

Having seen all of the films nominated above (save for 'Letters from Iwo Jima' which I'll do this week) I'd say its a near perfect, well-rounded list.
          My pick would remain...

'BABEL' - a MC review - 10/17/06
          http://www.micechat.com/forums/showt...ighlight=babel
          "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Comment

Originally posted by sir clinksalot View Post
            I mean, to nominte Peter O'Toole just because his name is Peter O'toole is stupid. From all accounts I've heard his performance in Venus is good ... but not at all award worthy.
            I agree. I think Sacha Baron Cohen for Borat would've been an edgier (and probably more deserving) choice.

That Dreamgirls didn't get a Best Picture nod was stunning. Even more telling, three of its eight nominations were for Best Song and it was shut out of the directing and writing categories. For all its critical accolades, Dreamgirls was clearly not a movie the Academy took seriously.

This may be one of the most anticlimactic Academy Awards ever. Does anyone think Forest Whitaker, Helen Mirren, Eddie Murphy and Jennifer Hudson are NOT going to win the acting awards? The only major race that might be interesting is Best Picture. With Dreamgirls out of the running, Babel becomes the clear favorite, but I'm rooting for The Departed. Even if it doesn't win for picture, please, please, PLEASE will the Academy finally give Martin Scorsese a Best Director Oscar? This is his best work in years and he got career performances out of Matt Damon, Leonardo DiCaprio and Mark Wahlberg.

In the Animated Feature category, I don't think Cars is a lock. As visually stunning as it was, it was overlong and emotionally distant. Happy Feet was more of a crowd pleaser and will probably win.

We'll all find out on February 25th.

Comment

Originally posted by disneytim View Post
              Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest received four nominations for Art Direction, Sound Editing, Sound Mixing and Visual Effects.

Cars received two nominations for Best Animated Film and Original Song.

Apocalypto was nominated for Makeup, Sound Editing and Sound Mixing.
              and also to be noted...

Best animated short film

Lifted” (Buena Vista)
              A Pixar Animation Studios Production
              Gary Rydstrom

The Little Matchgirl” (Buena Vista)
              A Walt Disney Pictures Production
              Roger Allers and Don Hahn

Gary Rydstrom’s First Pixar Short to Debut at Chicago Fest -AWN.com 9/26/06
              http://www.micechat.com/forums/showt...ghlight=lifted

Walt Disney Pictures' animated short, 'The Little Matchgirl' - 7/17/06
              http://www.micechat.com/forums/showt...ight=matchgirl
              "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Comment

Originally posted by Aladdin View Post
                Animated Film: Surprisingly, the same nominations as the Golden Globes. A little surprised that Over the Hedge wasn't nominated ~ I think it was better than Monster House. Would have liked to see Open Season in this Categorie as it was one of my favorite movies of the year, almost better than Cars.
                I was surprised Over the Hedge wasn't nominated too. It was fun, entertaining and had a good heart.

MAKE UP: Why not Pirates? Jack is has increase profitability of
                Maybeline 643%! Just because it's CGI make up, doesn't make
                it any less. Certainly Davey Jones deserves the Oscar. And Tia
                Dalma is certainly a new trend setter in make up stylings!
                No matter how good it looks, you can't classify CGI effects as makeup. That's one of the reasons why POTC was nominated for Visual Effects and will likely win. My choice for Makeup would be Pan's Labryinth. I haven't seen the film yet, but the overall look of it is amazing and the makeup effects are impressivie.

Comment

Originally posted by Aladdin View Post
                  MUSIC (Song) Am I the only one who just doesn't get "Dream Girls"?
                  Nope. My neighbor (who loves musicals btw) and her boyfriend walked out of it. They hated it. I personally have not interest in seing it.

However, my guess is that it was probably real close and it just didn't get enough votes to be in the top 5.

Comment

The Prestige scored two minor nominations too,

but Disney's big triumph of course is

The Queen, from the "new" Miramax, got 6 nominations including Best Picture.
                    "I'm working on changing Hollywood...at the studio that fired me twice."
                    --John Lasseter

Comment

Comment

DisneyTim
                        No matter how good it looks, you can't classify CGI effects as makeup. That's one of the reasons why POTC was nominated for Visual Effects and will likely win. My choice for Makeup would be Pan's Labryinth. I haven't seen the film yet, but the overall look of it is amazing and the makeup effects are impressivie.
                        Oh, yeah! and what about Capt Jack and Tia Dalma, huh, huh, huh!
                        Do'nch like the make up on them. Tia Dalma Dalma look Mawv-ahh-lus!
                        or doen't the Academy consider DIRT as make up
                        Critter Country's a mess ev'r since the Country Bears were kicked out. Ya can't cover pooh with honey and 'spect people ta like it.
                        An Adventurers It's Time to Put the Spotlight Back on Bring Back the REAL Disney Gallery
                        Life for Me! ~ ~ ~ Melvin, Buff, and Max!!! ~~~~ Dump the Dream Suite!
                        Meese-ka Moose-ka Mice-Chatter!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X