• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fishbulb
    MiceChat Contributer
    • Feb 2005

Matthew Vaughn OFF of X3

GUYS! Matthew Vaughn, of Layer Cake fame, had to taken over at the helm of the X Men franchise but has now just walked from the project!

My blue sky would be to have Singer suddenly swoop in and save this troubled project. What is sad is that it was beginning to come together. Fans were starting to believe that Matthew Vaughn was going to be able to pull it off. Let's see what happens folks.

Full Story Here
    "All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals.
    Homer Jay Simpson

• ah schucks
    �o� Tom �o�
    • Mar 2005

He was never a great choice personally if the choose British directors capable of helming large ensemble casts with amazing visuals I vote for Guy Ritchie.

Comment

• Jazzman
      Banned User
      • Jan 2005

Guy Ritchie? Blah. Would you really want to see Madonna playing a mutant on... the...

Oh, wait a minute, she already has, huh....

Comment

• THE BOB
        Sock Puppet
        • May 2005

Joss Whedon all the way, he knows the characters.
        "They have the Swiss...."

Comment

• Speedway
          Former Epcot CM
          • Jan 2005

Joss Whedon, god. Before I discovered Disney, I was the worlds biggest Buffy and Angel fan. He really knows how to make the fans happy.
          BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
          October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
          October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
          April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
          October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
          October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
          October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
          October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
          December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
          July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
          July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
          July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
          February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
          February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
          TRIP REPORTS

Comment

• ah schucks
            �o� Tom �o�
            • Mar 2005

Whilst I enjoy Joss, he is wrapped around the axel helming the pro-woman flick Wonder Woman. He knows how to empower women so I would rather he stay on board that project.

Comment

• Reaver
              Reaver of Souls
              • Jan 2005

Joss Whedon? Please, no. He's good at what he does, but in charge of the XMen? That just wouldn't be a good combination at all...
              Honor those who fall under the sword.
              But pity the warrior who has slain all his enemies.

Comment

• ah schucks
                �o� Tom �o�
                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Reaver
                Joss Whedon? Please, no. He's good at what he does, but in charge of the XMen? That just wouldn't be a good combination at all...
                His writing on Astonishing X-men shows an excellent understanding of the mythos of Xavier's school of gifted children. I would consider him a forerunner for the film, other than the fact he has never proven himself as a big screen director.

Comment

• Reaver
                  Reaver of Souls
                  • Jan 2005

Originally posted by ah schucks
                  His writing on Astonishing X-men shows an excellent understanding of the mythos of Xavier's school of gifted children. I would consider him a forerunner for the film, other than the fact he has never proven himself as a big screen director.
                  That's my big fear. I know he knows the material, but I never particularly cared for Buffy. Far too much goofy and slapstickish stuff going on. Buffy, Hercules and Xena are all very similar feels to me. And that's not a good thing...
                  Honor those who fall under the sword.
                  But pity the warrior who has slain all his enemies.

Comment

• ah schucks
                    �o� Tom �o�
                    • Mar 2005

I look at guys who work well with ensemble casts- Whedon proved he is good with groups of actors, a rare trait amoung a lot of directors and seating with a great post team and excellent producers he could helm a project on this calber.

Then I think of guys who have proven they can do both well, per example Mr and Mrs. Smith helmer- Doug Limen who helmed GO and Bourne Identity and Swingers---he has a mastery for the subtlty, a sort of poor man's Bryan Singer.

Or Paul Weitz who directed About a Boy and In Good Company who is a solid filmmaker, conveying human struggle and subtle humor without coming off as quirky like a Kevin Smith or something.

Comment

• Xharryb
                      Happy Memories
                      • Jan 2005

While Whedon would be my first choice also (I wanted him to get the job before they gave it to Vaughn), you can pretty much forget about him doing it at this point. A. He's busy finishing up Serenity so that he can get Wonderwoman rolling. B. He prefers to write the projects he works on and with the time crunch and such, they will be using the script they already have done for X-3.

I read this morning that one of the names being tossed about is Brett Ratner... Hate that choice. Another name I heard was the guy who recently directed Flight of the Phoenix. I'm not familiar enough with his work to have an opinion.

I also hear that it's a very risky, potentially controversial script. I starting to get very curious in that "good or bad, i just wanna see what they have up their sleeves" kinda way.

Comment

• ah schucks
                        �o� Tom �o�
                        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Xharryb

I read this morning that one of the names being tossed about is Brett Ratner... Hate that choice. Another name I heard was the guy who recently directed Flight of the Phoenix. I'm not familiar enough with his work to have an opinion.
                        John Moore---most famous for having been a game developer and project manager who directed early animatics for games in the mid 90's on the first Sega platforms. He made an independent film called Jack's Bicycle and then went on to receive critical acclaim and peer recognition for his stylish modern warfare film "Behind Enemy Lines" the least annoying and most realistic performance by Owen Wilson. He followed it up with a unknown film and then recently made the well crafter "Phoniex" that displayed his ability to direct an ensemble cast. He is a relative newbie to the scene but an excellent choice. Thanks for this rumor tidbit Xharryb!

Comment

• ah schucks
                          �o� Tom �o�
                          • Mar 2005

Also lean on Moore, Ratner has been recently in deep talks at Fox on "Rush Hour 3" and his last superhero project dropped out because it moved too slow...oddly enough it would have been the current Superman project being helmed by former X-men directer Bryan Singer.

Comment

• Xharryb
                            Happy Memories
                            • Jan 2005

Originally posted by ah schucks
                            Also lean on Moore, Ratner has been recently in deep talks at Fox on "Rush Hour 3" and his last superhero project dropped out because it moved too slow...oddly enough it would have been the current Superman project being helmed by former X-men directer Bryan Singer.
                            I'm all about this Moore guy getting the shot based on the info you have provided... also because i think Ratner is a terrible choice. My worry is that Ratner is a more recognizable name (which is either a good thing or a bad thing depending on how the suits look at it), and Chris Tucker just backed out of Rush Hour 3 YET AGAIN, which leaves an opening in Ratner's schedule.

Comment

• Speedway
                              Former Epcot CM
                              • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Reaver
                              That's my big fear. I know he knows the material, but I never particularly cared for Buffy. Far too much goofy and slapstickish stuff going on. Buffy, Hercules and Xena are all very similar feels to me. And that's not a good thing...
                              Whoa whoa whoa.....sure, I agree with Hercules and Xena.....

But, if you would do me one favour.

Download/buy/watch the Buffy Season 5 episode, 'The Body', directed and written by Joss Whedon. It will blow away all your preconceptions of the series.

I totally agree with your statements, but they are only true with Seasons 1-3. After that, special effects developed and the cast (and crew) grew up. The series was adult material (not in a saucy way - well some episodes were) in the second half of the series, and it raises all sorts of emotions.

No matter how emotional you are, 'The Body' will affect you in ways you thought Buffy or Joss Whedon could. And it will show you that it deserved an Emmy far more than Star Wars: The Clone Wars. :monkey:
                              BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
                              October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
                              October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
                              April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
                              October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
                              October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
                              October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
                              October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
                              December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
                              July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
                              July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
                              July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
                              February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
                              February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
                              TRIP REPORTS

Comment

• sir clinksalot
                                MiceChatter
                                • Feb 2005

I think John Moore would be an excellent choice. Flight of the Phoenix wasn't the best movie, but he did a great job directing it.

And think about it ... Flight of the Phoenix ... X3 ... Dark Phoenix ...

Comment

• Fishbulb
                                  MiceChat Contributer
                                  • Feb 2005

Sigh.

It's down to two directors.

John Moore, who did both BEHIND ENEMY LINES and FLIGHT OF THE PHOENIX,

Brett Ratner, who did the Rush Hour movies and the good but pedestrian Red Dragon

Whatever just make the freaking thing!

FULL STORY
                                  "All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals.
                                  Homer Jay Simpson

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                  Working...
                                  X