This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evolution of the Walt Disney Pictures Opening Logo

Ok, thread that grew out of my boredom here..

I was randomly thinking about Pirates 2 and somehow my mind thought of the bizarre new disney logo that appeared at the top of the film. I wondered if this was a logo that was going to stay with us for awhile, if it was for all live action films, or if it's something that would disappear after a few years.

I thought of the opening logo and how it appeared in various forms over the past decade so I thought I'd share those with you guys.

Here, the logo that we all know and love. I don't know exactly when it began but I know that Disney plugged it in front of much older titles for the home video releases.

Then came a slew of live action films under the disney brand, but since they weren't exactly kid faire, Disney wanted a opening that reflected this change. Movies such as Rocketeer opened with this:

It's probably as simple as you can get. 1995 introduced the all CG opening when Toy Story opened in theaters.

All pixar films opened with this title. Chicken Little opened with a similar one but not quite the same. And since I didn't buy that boring film, I don't have a comparison for ya. Sorry!

Walt Disney special projects introduced a new opening for films like Dinosaur. I think some live action films also opened with this too if I'm not mistaken but I can't remember exactly. Brother Bear also opened with this some years later.

ATLANTIS: THE LOST EMPIRE recieved a very unique opening with reflections of water. It was a very cool opening and matched the film.

LILO & STITCH recieved a darker variation of the opening logo. What's unique here are the signal blips going over the castle.

Then came HOME ON THE RANGE. The last Disney 2D feature film until who knows when. This opening logo was also unique to the film, having the logo branded onto the brown background. Very cool, though the film wasn't.

And lastly, we come to the over-elaborate opener for Pirates 2. We start in the sky, pan down to see a city, river, fireworks, and then finally truck over the castle. This one may grow on me but I think it's a bit much.

What do you guys think? Do you like the newest opening logo?
    Yes, I love it!
    78.05%
    No, I don't care for it
    12.20%
    I'm Undecided.
    9.76%

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Re: Evolution of the Walt Disney Pictures Opening Logo

I love the new logo/opening. Its neat seeing the pirate ship and the train moving.

Comment

I'm a big fan of the new logo. It's nice to see the castle in all its 3 dimensional (non-Pixarish) glory. It's almost a movie in of itself.

Comment

I'm not a fan. The tag is much too long, (as it ran in front of Pirates 2), not instantly recognizable, and the castle isn't very attractive.

I like the idea of updating the logo, but I'm not liking what they came up with.

Comment

I love this one the best myself. I just love to replay this one on YouTube lots of times. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIVSYhuuPU0
          Hayley B. - MiceChat's very own Delawarean. :bow:

Join MiceChat Gold.

Comment

Anything that shows Cinderella Castle is fine by me.

Comment

I really like it. It's pretty.

When we saw Pirates 2 @ midnight everyone Aww-ed and clapped. It was kind of cool.

Comment

I'm lovin' the newest logo. I love how they used the intro of "When you wish upon a star".

Comment

I love the new intro so much

Comment

Originally posted by mikeland View Post
                    Anything that shows Cinderella Castle is fine by me.
                    It isn't Cinderella Castle. It is a mish mash of parts. The base is of Cinderella Castle, but the top is a strecthed up version of Sleeping Beauty Castle. I think it makes for an ugly mix. I think it would have been much better to use Sleeping Beauty Castle in a nice, simple setting.

Comment

You are all going to laugh, but the first time I saw it, during Pirates 2, I got all teary eyed. I think it is beautiful and it reminds me of the parks and the fun times my family and I have while there.

Comment

I really like it, and I hope to see it used in other films.
                        "Tonight I wash my hands of you
                        You set the bar I could not live up to
                        Tonight the light is breaking through
                        So thank you very little and send me postcards from hell"
                        Zebrahead

Comment

It's a step ahead of the cheap blue card. but I still prefer the "Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color" painting with Disneyland's Sleeping Beauty Castle, TinkerBell and fireworks, as on the TV show bumpers. Very artful and emotional.

The composite castle and setting in this new CGI bumper are kind of "cold" by comparison.

Comment

See I don't see it that way, it seems like there's a whole "Disney world" that has yet to be explored and the movie following is just another adventure through the gates of the castle...

ok not really, but I do get a big epic feelign out of it more-so then the blue card.
                            "Tonight I wash my hands of you
                            You set the bar I could not live up to
                            Tonight the light is breaking through
                            So thank you very little and send me postcards from hell"
                            Zebrahead

Comment

I really love the new opening. I was wowed with it when I saw Pirates 2. In fact it was worth paying 8 bucks just to see that part alone. Yes I am being a little sarcastic there but really it is an awesome opening. There needed to be a new opening logo and this was definitely amazing.
                              Originally posted by aashee
                              We are 100% grade A Disney Dorks.

Comment

Thanks for responding, everyone, as I really do enjoy reading everyone's viewpoints.

I think it looks great artistically, and whoever worked on it did a fine job. But I'm not too on board with it. I'm all for a new look for their live action features but I think this opening is maybe... too Disney for its own good? I'm not sure if that makes any sense so I'll try to explain.

For instance... the first Pirates film. They really went out of their way to start the film without anything in front. No "walt disney pictures presents" or anything. Just BAM you're in the movie. Now this new opener is just too much I think. It's telling everyone in the audience "HAHAHAHA YOU'RE WATCHING A DISNEY MOVIE!" I sorta feel that they're taking the popularity of Pirates and are now shoving the Disney name down everyone's throats.

I would prefer it to be more subtle. The various changes for Atlantis, Lilo & Stitch, and even Home on the Range I very much enjoyed. Even pixar's opening is very much in the spirit of the one we're familiar with.

The new one just goes "LOOK AT US!" and for that, I would like them to tone it down. Humble is how I would want Disney to be and I know I'm a minority on this so feel free to throw your tomatoes now.

Comment

All of the examples you provided suit their respective films very nicely.

The simple logo was effective because it was simple, yet held a lot of charm. It was instantly recognizable, and its simple, silhouetted style was manageable because it could be resized to any proportion - to the big screen, to the side of a DVD slipcase, and it transferred appropriately without losing any visibility.

The new logo, however, is truly a grand way to start a grand Disney film. The Pirates of the Caribbean films are truly epic, and the new Walt Disney Pictures title sequence is befitting for such a film. The sequence is great because not only can children feel the magic, but it is also something that adults can relate to and enjoy.

The only issue I see with the new logo is that it can't be resized easily, and when using the Walt Disney Pictures logo on packaging and promotional materials, Disney will still have to revert to the old silhouette logo. Its not a big issue in this case, but I don't understand Disney's new way of using multiple logos for the same thing.

I also wish that the new Walt Disney Pictures sequence was truer to its roots, and stuck entirely with Sleeping Beauty Castle instead of going with a mish-mash of the Sleeping Beauty and Cinderella Castles.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

Comment

Where do you guys see the mish mash of Cinderella Castle and Sleeping Beauty Castle? It looks all Cinderella to me.

Comment

Originally posted by BDBopper View Post
                                      I really love the new opening. I was wowed with it when I saw Pirates 2. In fact it was worth paying 8 bucks just to see that part alone. Yes I am being a little sarcastic there but really it is an awesome opening. There needed to be a new opening logo and this was definitely amazing.

Haha! It sure was BDBopper.
                                      Hayley B. - MiceChat's very own Delawarean. :bow:

Join MiceChat Gold.

Comment

It's a definite improvement, albeit an imperfect one.

I like the second star to the right, the train, and the sailing ship. They might be better, though, if they all read more clearly as belonging to The Magic Kingdoms of Disneyland. But, the expansiveness of this world and the fact that the horizon is visible do very much appeal to me.

I also like that the castle walls are made very prominent because they convey a great deal of meaning to the audience. However, the river that leads to the castle isn't as effective because it doesn't seem as much like a moat. In fact, the moat, in this case, leads straight through the castle where one would normally expect a drawbridge. And, that configuration just doesn't make any sense, even symbolically.

The pyrotechnic pixie dust is nice, although I'm not so sure that audiences read it as belonging to Tinker Bell. The sequence appears to show fireworks, first, and pixie dust, second.

The Disney crest on the banner is a nice touch. However, I really don't like the amalgam of castles. There has to be a better way to maintain the integrity of each edifice while representing them all. The composite, unfortunately, looks awkward and meaningless. And, in this effort to better align Walt Disney Pictures with The Magic Kingdoms of Disneyland, the medieval calligraphy Disneyland uses as its logotype really should also be employed for the studio's imprimatur, as well as for the trademarks of all the other Magic Kingdoms.

Comment

Working...
                                        X