• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Darkbeer
    Darkbeer
    • Jan 2005

Why Disney won't re-release ''Song of the South'' from its vaults -3/4/07

Alone among the great Disney features, "Song of the South" has never been released on videotape or DVD in the United States and hasn't been screened in a stateside theater since 1986.

Despite Academy Awards, groundbreaking technology, a black leading man and a script that often turns racial stereotypes on their head, the 1946 movie has been damned as an embarrassing throwback, a whitewash, the racist skeleton in Disney's film vault.

Brode said he can appreciate the company's worries about the film's reputed racism - "which is not to say I believe it is racist, because I don't."

It could be, he said, that as foreign copies of the movie trickle into the United States, people will come to see this "very great film" for its intentions, rather than its flaws.

But if that happens, it's years away. For now, Brode said, he's frustrated by what he considers far more troubling images of blacks in film.

"I can't believe 'Gone With the Wind' is shown on television today," he said. "I can't watch it.

"That people would think 'Song of the South' is racist and would have no problem with 'Gone With the Wind' is just bizarre."
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com
  • sixwoofys
    Helmsdad
    • Feb 2007

Re: Why Disney won't re-release ''Song of the South'' from its vaults -3/4/07

It's difficult to understand how they can have an entire ride based on a film that they won't show because...?..What? They don't agree with it? That has got to be one of the strangest ironies. They have a RIDE but the actual movie is somehow inappropriate!?

I have the movie as I'm sure anyone who wants it does. It's not hard to get at all. I don't know what Disney thinks they are accomplishing but continuing this absurd policy. We love Uncle Remus.

Thanks for the updates Darkbeer.
    P.S. Keep the great pictures coming! We love them.
    sigpic
    Did I just say that?

Comment

• cellarhound
      MiceChatter
      • Jan 2005

I actually, I can't sit through Gone With the Wind either... But for other reasons.... :sleep:
      Check out my other blog:

Comment

• MagicKingdomBoy
        MiceChatter
        • Feb 2007

They have a RIDE but the actual movie is somehow inappropriate!?
        Just you wait. They'll "fix" that eventually, too, just like they "fixed" Pirates' politically incorrect depictions of exploitation of women.

Comment

• Aladdin
          Prince Ali
          • Jan 2005

It's assinine for Eisner and now Iger too be fearful and
          ashamed of the place of "Song of the South" in Disney
          history, and it's importance in the entire history in ALL
          of movie making. It's truly unjust for Disney to deny
          viewing of this movie, even on youtube, if they refuse
          to release it themselves.

By censoring this movie, especially when it has been
          released so many times in the past, They (disney)
          at this late date, by refusing to re-release it, should
          be considered as giving up all right to it, and Song
          of the South should be considered Public Domain.
          Critter Country's a mess ev'r since the Country Bears were kicked out. Ya can't cover pooh with honey and 'spect people ta like it.
          An Adventurers It's Time to Put the Spotlight Back on Bring Back the REAL Disney Gallery
          Life for Me! ~ ~ ~ Melvin, Buff, and Max!!! ~~~~ Dump the Dream Suite!
          Meese-ka Moose-ka Mice-Chatter!

Comment

• TifaOnACloud
            • Feb 2005

I agree with his sentiments. As much as I love 'Gone with the Wind', even I always get a laugh out of the scene where one of Scarlett's slaves tells her of Sherman's March, "Don't worry, Miss Scarlett. We'll stop 'em!" Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiighhhhtttttt.

Is it really that hard to simply view the film as a product of it's time and not think that it advocates racism in the modern age? It's a classic that deserves recognition for it's strengthes, not derision for it's weaknesses.

Comment

• Tom Chaney
              Godwin Glacier, Alaska
              MiceChat Round-Up Crew
              • Feb 2005

The whole controversy over "Song Of The South" reappears from time to time here. I dunno. It's a really entertaining film and the most sympathetic and "aware" character in it is Uncle Remus. Just because he is happy with his lot, however, is sometimes viewed as racist.

We live in a world where the most heinous thing that can happen to an individual is to be offended... and everybody is just itching to be offended by something.

Let "Song Of The South" slumber a few more years. Perhaps, someday, we'll all be able to "breathe in, breathe out and move on."*

*...acknowledgement to Jimmie Buffet for this line.
              "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
              -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

Comment

• Morrigoon
                insufferable know-it-all
                • Jan 2005

Oh goody, I haven't gotten to use this in a while:

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

Comment

• barfownz
                  Legend
                  • Nov 2005

This is a cheesy reason why not to re-release it. They show racist movies on public cable TV.

Comment

• BFJen
                    For You!
                    • Feb 2006

Well, until then, You can get the dvd off ebay for around $150.00 - there's obviously a desire to see the movie!
                    sigpic
                    Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

Comment

• barfownz
                      Legend
                      • Nov 2005

Originally posted by BFJen View Post
                      Well, until then, You can get the dvd off ebay for around $150.00 - there's obviously a desire to see the movie!
                      Bought mine for $29.99.

Comment

• seafaring_ghost
                        The Steampunk Dread Baron
                        • Jun 2006

what i find odd is universal studios released a straight to dvd version of the song of the south last year called the adventures of brer rabbit with many big names such as wayne brady, danny glover and wanda sykes. so if universal can release a version why cant disney put out the original
                        The fountain of youth really is in Florida... thats why they built Walt Disney World where they did.

Comment

• Athlonacon
                          FastPass n00b
                          • Feb 2005

Here's a laundry list for Disney and their decision:

Ignorant
                          Foolish
                          Saddening
                          Gutless
                          Stupid

...and after I started having more faith in Iger.

Comment

• Disney Wrassler
                            Get the Iodine!
                            MiceChat Round-Up Crew
                            • Jul 2005

Looks like people will have to continue getting it from other sources since Disney doesn't want to give into the customers demands here. It's unfortunate, but true.

Comment

• Wally
                              Fastest Man Alive
                              • Dec 2006

I agree with Disney's stance. I haven't seen Song of the South, but I'm guessing the racism is fairly mild. However, that really is irrelevant, since Disney by it's very nature of having its 'squeaky clean' image is the biggest target in media and the amount of money lost over bad PR would trump any money that would be made over the sale of the DVD.
                              "If we cut the budget are you going to be the one standing at the exit explaining to guests why the ride they just rode is a piece of crap?" - - John Lasseter

Comment

• Experiment626
                                This is my car, Stitch :)
                                • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Athlonacon View Post
                                Here's a laundry list for Disney and their decision:

Ignorant
                                Foolish
                                Saddening
                                Gutless
                                Stupid

...and after I started having more faith in Iger.
                                Iger said this about the movie? How sad. If Walt Disney made it then it should at least get a shot on DVD. Afterall, if it wasn't for that man who created that film then Iger wouldn't be in charge of such a large company, now would he? I got to watch it on YouTube not too long ago and I thought it was a great movie!
                                http://twitter.com/DisneyBrat
                                www.foursquare.com/user/disneybrat
                                http://www.facebook.com/Melissa.M.Solorzano

Comment

• Digital Jedi
                                  Solar Flare Foamer
                                  • Mar 2006

The last time I saw Song of the South it was during it's last theatrical release. I don't recall anything worthy of putting it on the blackball list. I guess it's racist to believe that a black man in those days would have the audacity to be positive about life... Wait, isn't being positive about life what eventual brought about change in our society? Seems like a racist attitude would be the opposite. A story about a man who was joyless because he knew he and his progeny had nothing to live for.

I don't know. I think it's humorous how all these (from what I've observed) white men make decisions about what they think will offend black people, but black people seem to be the ones who have the least problems with it.

By the way, my wife's all time favorite movie is Gone With the Wind. She's read both books and plays the movie more times then I could possible care to see again. Oh yeah, she's a black woman, too.

Comment

• PirateChick
                                    Queen of Sarcasm
                                    • Jan 2005

I saw this movie last month at my fiance's grandparents house. I didn't find anything wrong with it. They just portrayed how things were during that time period. Things have changed and there are many movies out there that are just as bad if not worse than this one. I know Disney wants to be squeeky clean and all but this movie was groundbreaking for the time with animation and life action together. Sure the grandmother lived in a plantation but the majority of it was kids acting like kids and listening to a grandfather type telling stories.

Comment

• Loomis
                                      Vegetarian Disneylander
                                      • Nov 2005

I think with time, enough monetary incentive and the right people behind the project it could still be a reality.

Song of the South is an interesting case. It is certainly not a racist film in and of itself, as it seems to have more of a message of universal harmony than anything else (i.e. finding your laughing place). It is, therefore, one of the few films shunned not because of outrageous racism or the way someone is treated, but because someone is not acting in a certain way. That is, Uncle Remus is not a downtrodden slave, but has rather a happy go lucky one. Now, admittedly, this may not be historically accurate, nor terribly realistic, and I can understand why there would be a fuss over this. For a long time it puzzled me, but if the point of keeping history alive is to stop people from repeating the errors of the past, then we can't sugar-coat that history. On this level at least, Song of the South may hold some guilt.

However, the sword swings both ways. Song of the South also holds its own positives for the African American community. James Baskett was the first to win a special Academy Award for his performance as Uncle Remus, and was the first African American male to do so. We must remember these positive points as well as the negative, as self empowerment is just as important as overcoming the ills of the past.

Ok, putting on my Devil's Advocate hat for a moment, let us assume we all think SotS is a racist film. Let's say we think it is pure evil. Let's then compare it to DW Griffith's 1915 Birth of a Nation, a film that pretty much praises the efforts of the Ku Klux Klan. (Slightly worse, in my humble opinion, than a singing slave). Yet, the film community still accepts this film as a 'classic' for its technical achievements (being a 3 hour+ silent epic) and it is available in multiple DVD editions. So really, it's all about context. Just as Leonard Maltin puts some fairly 'out there' animated shorts into context on the Treasures tins, the same could be done for SotS (by a leading member of the African American community for example).

Let's face it - as Disneyland fans, we know that Disney hasn't completely ignored the film, basing at least one popular attraction on it. I think given the right timing and the right incentive, we could still see it released to home cinemas.

Comment

• ALIASd
                                        Top Shelf!
                                        MiceChat News Team
                                        • Jun 2005

Originally posted by Loomis View Post
                                        However, the sword swings both ways. Song of the South also holds its own positives for the African American community. James Baskett was the first to win a special Academy Award for his performance as Uncle Remus, and was the first African American male to do so.
                                        Hattie McDaniel won the Academy Award as Best Supporting Actress for 'Gone With The Wind' (1939). Mr. Baskett was given an Honorary Award for 'Song of the South' at the 1948 Academy Awards.
                                        Last edited by ALIASd; 03-07-2007, 08:39 PM.
                                        "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X