What happens when something goes into the vault?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thrax
    careful...i'm contagous!
    • Aug 2006

What happens when something goes into the vault?

can you really not find it in stores or is it just a marketing plow?

i've been trying to find beauty and the beast? and sleeping beauty but all I can't find them
    sigpicDISNEYROYALTY
  • I Heart Disneyland
    Banned User
    • Aug 2005

Re: what happens when something goes into the valt?

They go into the vault, meaning they are no longer available for sale. Sometimes they come back out in a few years. I've been wanting Peter Pan for quite some time...I am thrilled it's back out right now!

Comment

• Mighty Mikerscope
      Can see my car from here
      • Oct 2006

Re: what happens when something goes into the valt?

I know what you mean!

I need Pinocchio, and Jungle Book on DVD!!! (And Song of the South).
      Far from the frenzy of the frantic world above.

Comment

• merlinjones
        Minion
        • Jan 2005

Re: What happens when something goes into the vault?

If you get into Hollywood, always check at Amoeba Records on Sunset - - they get used DVD copies in from time to time (but they are pricey for those OOP titles - - maybe $35.-50.).
        “I love the nostalgic myself. I hope we never lose some of the things of the past.” -- Walt Disney

Comment

• prince_david
          MiceChatter
          • Jan 2007

I got Sleeping Beauty & Beauty and the Beast new and sealed on half.com for 20-30 each i think.

Disney: true inspiration!

Comment

• Alice's Wonderland
            Directly directed
            • Feb 2005

You can get them on ebay. Just make sure it's a region1 disc, unless you have a different dvd player, and be patient. Beauty and the Beast is on the list to come out in Blu-Ray but I don't know when.

Comment

• tinkermonkey
              has a brand new mindset
              MiceChat Moderator
              • Oct 2005

Jungle Book comes out on DVD in October (it was previewed on the Peter Pan disc)
              I love my awesome crazy wonderful friends!!

"Do you remember in kindergarten, how you�d meet a kid,
              then 10 seconds later you�d be playing like you were best friends?"

:love:

Comment

• PragmaticIdealist
                • Jun 2005

Disney imposes a moratorium on the sale of the feature-animation video releases that is equivalent to the theatrical re-release schedule the company used to employ.

Disney's animated films were unique in the motion-picture industry because they were re-released to theatres every seven years.

Comment

• Experiment626
                  This is my car, Stitch :)
                  • Oct 2005

Originally posted by tinkermonkey View Post
                  Jungle Book comes out on DVD in October (it was previewed on the Peter Pan disc)
                  I saw that too! :yea:
                  http://twitter.com/DisneyBrat
                  www.foursquare.com/user/disneybrat
                  http://www.facebook.com/Melissa.M.Solorzano

Comment

• sir clinksalot
                    MiceChatter
                    • Feb 2005

We have the first edition DVD's that were released for Pan, Mermaid, Jungle Book, etc.

But we do typically upgrade them when the 2-disc versions come out and we give the older ones to my mom or Kristi's mom so the kids have something to watch when they are there.

Comment

• quasimodo1384
                      Practically Perfect
                      • Feb 2005

I think the films usually stay in the vault for 7 to 10 years before re-release. Obviously there are special exceptions. Generally you can find them online at any of the sites people listed already, or someplace like amazon.com. But, usually they are more expensive that way than there are in stores during their release.

As for me? Right now I'm waiting for Snow White. I can't believe I missed that one!

Oh, and I'm not sure, but I think Disney might have the unsold DVDs shipped back to them?

Comment

• jurgenb52
                        oh bugger
                        • Mar 2005

Disney has this system pretty well figured out. With the content they are selling they have a unique opportunity to release the films for short durations and then pull them just as quickly as they showed up. It might not make sense to do that with just any movie, but with Disney animation they can, especially the classics.

Since they began selling the animated features on VHS to the public in the 80s they have come in waves. Snow White was the last to be released on vhs (If I'm not mistaken it was because it was the most treasured of the films and Roy didn't want it to be in the publics hands) and has since come out only once on DVD (that I remember). Disney creates a huge demand for these DVD's because they are only available for a short amount of time and then if you want them you either have to wait or spend way more buying off e-bay or some tiny local shop that has one or two copies left.

It seems to be generational. You'll see Snow White out on Blu-Ray (or whatever format wins out) when the next generation is ready to buy it. That seems to be the idea anyway. It's worked for the last 25 years or so pretty well. Does make it difficult when I want Snow White and Sleeping Beauty on dvd and can't go to the store and buy them. So, it could be a good or bad thing that they go "back into the vault" once their limited release time is up.
                        Infinity and Beyond:
                        The technology of today is changing the media of tomorrow.
                        http://www.infinityandbeyond.tabert.com/

Comment

• Barbossa
                          Infinitized!
                          • Jan 2005

Anybody know when they are planning to release Pinocchio in a Platinum Edition in the future?

Comment

• Mighty Mikerscope
                            Can see my car from here
                            • Oct 2006

Originally posted by tinkermonkey View Post
                            Jungle Book in October is great news!!

Anyone heard anything about Pinocchios next release?

I just checked Amazon and the cheapest "like new" Pinocchio was $26 plus shipping. Cheapest new was $37.90 plus shipping, and finally, one reseller named "ValleyCD" was selling a USED-VERY GOOD condition Pinocchio DVD for $166.14! It must come with Jiminy Cricket inside!
                            Far from the frenzy of the frantic world above.

Comment

• thrax
                              careful...i'm contagous!
                              • Aug 2006

Beauty and the Beast is on the list to come out in Blu-Ray but I don't know when.
                              what about dvd? i don't care about blue ray
                              sigpicDISNEYROYALTY

Comment

• jurgenb52
                                oh bugger
                                • Mar 2005

Beauty and the Beast was out on regular dvd within the last couple years. I bought it but can't exactly remember how long ago that was. Chances are it won't come back for a little while on regular dvd.... but one can always hope.
                                Infinity and Beyond:
                                The technology of today is changing the media of tomorrow.
                                http://www.infinityandbeyond.tabert.com/

Comment

• Barbossa
                                  Infinitized!
                                  • Jan 2005

On ultimate Disney they have some lists that give a rough idea when upcoming platinum editions will be released

Snow White is coming back out maybe in October 2008, I guess on Blu-Ray.

Which reminds me, I got a question. Can the new high-def DVD players play the regular DVDs? Are they backwards compatible?

Comment

• Hayley B
                                    Delawarean Girl
                                    • Jun 2006

I wanted to also say that you can normally get Disney Movies cheaper on Half.com too or sometimes Amazon.

Here's what I got from Half.com:

Buy & sell electronics, cars, clothes, collectibles & more on eBay, the world's online marketplace. Top brands, low prices & free shipping on many items.

Buy & sell electronics, cars, clothes, collectibles & more on eBay, the world's online marketplace. Top brands, low prices & free shipping on many items.
                                    Hayley B. - MiceChat's very own Delawarean. :bow:

Join MiceChat Gold.

Comment

• prince_david
                                      MiceChatter
                                      • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Barbossa View Post
                                      On ultimate Disney they have some lists that give a rough idea when upcoming platinum editions will be released

Snow White is coming back out maybe in October 2008, I guess on Blu-Ray.

Which reminds me, I got a question. Can the new high-def DVD players play the regular DVDs? Are they backwards compatible?
                                      I think Disney is using Blu-Ray for their discs but we will see. Blu-ray and HD-DVD players ARE backward compatable, although I am not sure if they will upscale to high definition resolutions. Really the best bet for a Blu Ray player right now is a PS3, since a base PS3 costs 500 and the cheapest regular blu-ray DVD player still costs 600$.. I am hoping these prices come down.. I have an XBOX360 so I am not sure what I will be doing when it comes to High Def DVDs I am going to wait its too much money and not worth it now.

Disney: true inspiration!

Comment

• Tinker_bell3101988
                                        Angel Eyes
                                        • Mar 2007

i was searching something on tinkerbell on google the other day cause im doing an art paper on her and i accidentaly came across a site that had sleeping beauty and snow white for like 15-20 bucks and now i can't find it again...but i searched "Disney animator Marc Davis movies" and thats when it came up if any of you have any better luck finding the site

For it was not into my ear you whispered, but into my heart. It was not my lips you kissed, but my soul. -Judy Garland

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X