Announcement

Collapse

Your Assistance Please

We need your help to battle spammers and also to keep our community user friendly.
PLEASE BE KIND TO OTHERS - Refrain from personal attacks. Avoid politics and harsh language whenever possible. If someone is violating our simple rules, DO NOT confront them, simply report the post.
STOP SPAMMERS - Report the post. DO NOT respond to them.

2017 is a year of renewal for us, we have lots of exciting changes on the way for you, but we don't have time to deal with trolls and spammers. If you find yourself suspended and need to plead your case, you will need to do so after your suspension. We are happy to address your concerns if you made a simple mistake. However, please note that those with a history of bad behavior and pushing our rules to the limit will not be given the courtesy of a reply.

MiceChat offers a number of ways for you to communicate and get involved. We offer Facebook Groups and Pages, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest accounts. We have a front page filled with amazing content. We offer weekly meetups in the parks. Meets and events all over the world. Podcasts and videos. And we continue to maintain forums for your posting convenience. But with all those options, we can't be everywhere all the time. We need YOUR help. Please don't poke the trolls. Report posts and leave reputation. We'll do our best to keep the forums clean and active, but we can't do so without your help.

Thank you for your support folks, it's going to be a really fantastic year in the MiceChat world.
See more
See less

Could Bob Iger release 'Song of the South' after all?

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could Bob Iger release 'Song of the South' after all?

At the recent shareholders meeting in new Orleans, someone asked Bob Iger if they were concidering ever releasing 'Song of the South', a movie that has sparked debate for decades. In the past, Disney has said that they will not release it here in North America because some people feel it's racist in it's depection of African Americans living on a plantation in pre-civil war Georgia. The response that Bob Iger gave though ran like a shockwave through the audience.

Iger's response was ""The question of 'Song of the South' comes up periodically, in fact it was raised at last year's annual meeting ..." Iger said. "And since that time, we've decided to take a look at it again because we've had numerous requests about bringing it out. Our concern was that a film that was made so many decades ago being brought out today perhaps could be either misinterpreted or that it would be somewhat challenging in terms of providing the appropriate context."

Does this mean that we might be seeing Song of the South in the video stores soon?

To find out more, please check out the article at http://www.orlandosentinel.com/busin...dp-classifieds
    Last edited by dramaqueen; 03-26-2007, 01:10 PM.
    Growing older is manditory
    Growing up is however, optional

Re: Bob Iger is Rethinking releasing 'Song of the South' - Orlando Sentinel.com

I hope so. It's a wonderful film of the bond between Johnny and Uncle Remus, and of the inspiration of the storyteller. It is not a racist film at heart.

Here's an article I wrote on the subject for SaveDisney.com ("In Defense of Disney's Uncle Remus"):

http://songofthesouth.net/news/archi...indefense.html

Comment

I'd like to see it again, but if you really read Iger's response, it was basic weasle words that ultimately means: "Uh...no."
      "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
      -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

Comment

I think the appropriate way to do it would be to make it online order only. That way it's not being "pushed onto an unsuspecting public" in any way, but those people who do want to see it and are willing to put out just a little extra effort can do so. That also makes it available to educators.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

Comment

The answer should be no... There is no way of providing an apporpreate context for the film without editing the film itself. Walt, himself was confronted with this decision, and decided against it.
          Check out my other blog:

Comment

Originally posted by Morrigoon View Post
            I think the appropriate way to do it would be to make it online order only. That way it's not being "pushed onto an unsuspecting public" in any way, but those people who do want to see it and are willing to put out just a little extra effort can do so. That also makes it available to educators.
            What an excellent idea.
            BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
            October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
            October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
            April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
            October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
            October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
            October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
            October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
            December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
            July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
            July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
            July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
            February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
            February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
            TRIP REPORTS

Comment

Originally posted by cellarhound View Post
              The answer should be no... There is no way of providing an apporpreate context for the film without editing the film itself. Walt, himself was confronted with this decision, and decided against it.
              i think everyone goes overboard with being too PC. you don't need to edit the film in any way. GOne with the wind has been out both on video and DVD and has never been editted. you release it on DVD and you put on the 2 disk edtion things like Martin luther king's speech and talks about how blacks were treated after the civil war and how far the african amercan community has come. remember that this film was set after the war and the people in the movie weren't slaves. also remember that there was a poor white family in the story too and how the little girl was treated.

Comment

Originally posted by Cmash95 View Post
                i think everyone goes overboard with being too PC. you don't need to edit the film in any way. GOne with the wind has been out both on video and DVD and has never been editted. you release it on DVD and you put on the 2 disk edtion things like Martin luther king's speech and talks about how blacks were treated after the civil war and how far the african amercan community has come. remember that this film was set after the war and the people in the movie weren't slaves. also remember that there was a poor white family in the story too and how the little girl was treated.
                A great idea. Very well said.
                Sig by Poisonedapples!

Comment

Release it. It will prove once and for all that the film is not racist, and deflate the balloon of those that say it's racist, yet have never seen it.

You don't have to add any other content, not directly related to the film, to "soften" the image of the film.

Do make it a Disney Treasure release, but include other stuff from the vaults that have been held back due to PC concerns, or better yet no bonus stuff at all, just a clean sharp restored digital transfer is all I ask.

Comment

It's setting is POST civil war.

And the MAJOR reason why it is being debated so much
                    is that Disney HAS released it overseas on Video/lasar disc,
                    but not in the US. Disney has even released the movie in
                    US theaters as recently as the 1980's.

This whole brew-ha-ha would have reduced to nothing, by
                    now, IF they would have released SotS on video/dvd.
                    Critter Country's a mess ev'r since the Country Bears were kicked out. Ya can't cover pooh with honey and 'spect people ta like it.
                    An Adventurers It's Time to Put the Spotlight Back on Bring Back the REAL Disney Gallery
                    Life for Me! ~ ~ ~ Melvin, Buff, and Max!!! ~~~~ Dump the Dream Suite!
                    Meese-ka Moose-ka Mice-Chatter!

Comment

Read Neil Gabler's WD book and you see how much bruhaha there was even back then about the film. Too bad the post civil war thing does not read that clearly. I think that they dressed the family to the nines and that created a greater divide of inequality visually. The sad thing is that Walt made it to save money on Animation. I enjoy the movie because I think it has heart in the right places, but i see why it is offensive. As a kid, I loved Uncle Remus and didn't think anything of it. I just loved him for him.
                      "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

Comment

I would be so excited about having the film. I have been trying to teach my children the value of old films, and this one would just add to their teaching. I agree that sometimes we become so pc that we forget about the art and beauty of the music in the film. Please bring it back!

Comment

Originally posted by cellarhound View Post
                          So, pretend it never existed and maybe it will go away?
                          -Osky

Originally posted by sleepyjeff
                          Before we totally disregard extremism; lets remember the lesson of the 3 little pigs.

The moderate pig lost his house to the wolf too
                          .-- .. .-.. .-.. / .- -. -.-- --- -. . / -... --- - .... . .-. / - --- / - .-. .- -. ... .-.. .- - . / - .... .. ... ..--..

Comment

>>There is no way of providing an apporpreate context for the film without editing the film itself. Walt, himself was confronted with this decision, and decided against it.<<

That was only during the Civil Rights era. The film returned to theatres in the 70's as one of the highest-grossing reissues ever. And again in the 80's.

It's a tempest in a teacup.

Comment

Re: Could Bob Iger release 'Song of the South' after all?

I think that they dressed the family to the nines and that created a greater divide of inequality visually.
                              These people are not dressed to the nines

And this young lady makes a big deal about the lace gift she is given, both sides of money and poverty are portrayed in Song of the South.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X