• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Cry-Baby' - The Musical

Musical Cry-Baby Wells Up as New York City Workshop Begins

By Ernio Hernandez
    Palybill.com
    23 Apr 2007

The upcoming Broadway-bound musical Cry-Baby begins its New York City workshop April 23, Playbill.com has learned.

Tony Award-winning choreographer Rob Ashford — who is attached to the work — told Playbill.com columnist Harry Haun, "I start a workshop [April 23] of Cry-Baby, the new musical based on the John Waters 1990 movie."

According to Ashford, Conrad John Schuck (Annie Get Your Gun) and Jan Maxwell (Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, currently seen in Coram Boy) star in the workshop with the Johnny Depp title role "played by a 22-year-old guy from L.A. you've never heard of, but you'll know him after this — James Snyder," Ashford added. Following the four-week NYC workshop, the Tony winner noted "we'll do it again in La Jolla in September."

A production spokesperson also confirmed to Playbill.com that Tony Award nominee Megan Lawrence (Pajama Game) is featured in the cast with Christopher Hanke, Alli Mauzey, Chester Gregory II, Elizabeth Stanley, Nicolette Hart, Carly Jibson, Rachel Stern, Cameron Adams, Ashley D'Ambrosio, Kearran Giovanni, Case Dillard, Spencer Liff, Meggie Cansler, Charlie Sutton, Nick Blaemire, Michael Buchanan, Peter Matthew Smith, Eric Christian, Joanna Glushak, David M. Lutken and Nicolas Dromard.

Snyder recently appeared in a reading of Rock of Ages and has been seen onstage in the Los Angeles runs of The Fantasticks and Star Wars Trilogy in 30 Minutes. Following a stint on the VH1 reality series "In Search of the Partridge Family," he appeared in the films "Pretty Persuasion" and "She's the Man."

Mark Brokaw stages the new musical based on the film by John Waters about "the baddest boy in town" who falls for a good girl in 1954's Baltimore. The show features a book by Mark O'Donnell and Thomas Meehan with music and lyrics by David Javerbaum and Adam Schlesinger.

The Cry-Baby world premiere was previously scheduled for February-March 2007 at Seattle's 5th Avenue Theatre and was delayed because there was no available Broadway house for a transfer. As the musical could also not be scheduled as part of their new season, La Jolla Playhouse nabbed the musical's debut for a Nov. 6-Dec. 23 run.

Pajama Game's Lawrence was part of a previous reading in the role of Hatchet-Face opposite Joe Mandragona as Cry-Baby and Christopher J. Hanke as Baldwin.
    http://www.playbill.com/news/article/107555.html
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Re: 'Cry-Baby' - The Musical

And yes, in the film Johnny Depp's singing performance was lip-synced to the voice of L.A. rockabilly hero James Intveld. He's great to see & hear live!
    http://www.jamesintveld.com/
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Comment

The movie is great! It would be interesting to see what it is like on stage.

Comment

i love the movie, but i dont think i'll want to see the musical

Orlando doing good
        http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=9a0_1212091354&p=1

www.Myspace.com/butterflytat20
        Princess of Randomness

Comment

I loved the movie too. Though, if there were a Johnny look a like rememblence character, I might consider seeing the musical.

Comment

First Hairspray and new Cry Baby. WHEEE!!! Yes, I also liked Cry Baby too. Kind of reminds me of Grease a little. But I do love Cry Baby.
            Hayley B. - MiceChat's very own Delawarean. :bow:

Join MiceChat Gold.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginarella View Post
              I loved the movie too. Though, if there were a Johnny look a like rememblence character, I might consider seeing the musical.
              Wade "Cry-Baby" Walker - James Snyder
              photo at:
              http://www.imdb.com/gallery/hh/09990...nyder,%20James
              Last edited by ALIASd; 04-27-2007, 08:32 AM.

Comment

Pink Flamingos the Musical here we come!
                "Tonight I wash my hands of you
                You set the bar I could not live up to
                Tonight the light is breaking through
                So thank you very little and send me postcards from hell"
                Zebrahead

Comment

LOVED Cry Baby!!!!! I actually rented it a while back and forced hubby to watch it......he fell asleep....phhhht. Guys.

Comment

Just out of curiosity........when was the last time a truly original musical opened on Broadway? I mean - not based on a movie or full of songs by a already well know singer or band? Don't get me wrong - I think this'll be fun... but where are the Original Ideas? It just seems like cheap theatre.

Comment

original? what's this strange word? must.....find......dictionary.

Comment

Wow. I really need to see the movie. It sounds really awesome. Thanks for the tip.
                        Originally posted by aashee
                        We are 100% grade A Disney Dorks.

Comment

Originally posted by ALIASd View Post
                          Wade "Cry-Baby" Walker - James Snyder

http://www.imdb.com/gallery/hh/09990...nyder,%20James

He's ok but they could find better, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by cpdisneyprincess View Post
                            Just out of curiosity........when was the last time a truly original musical opened on Broadway? I mean - not based on a movie or full of songs by a already well know singer or band? Don't get me wrong - I think this'll be fun... but where are the Original Ideas? It just seems like cheap theatre.
                            Have you seen RENT? I highly recommend you see it LIVE before you see the movie.

Comment

Cry Baby + No Johnnie = Meh ... no thanks.

And Cry Baby is indeed John Waters worst movie.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X