Ad Widget

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mary Poppins on Broadway Review

Mary Poppins Review
    Okay, I promised Dustysage I would do a report on this after I went when we met at a Sunday Mice Chat meet last November. So, here it goes.
    My husband and I took our 2 children to see Mary Poppins on Broadway on April 24th, 2007 at the New Amsterdam Theatre. They both loved it, they are ages 9 and 6. They have been acting it out ever since we got home from New York with the London Cast Recording. The theater is beautiful inside. There are frescos and plaster designs all over the walls and ceiling. I felt that the theatre was very kid friendly; they gave us boosters for the children to sit on so they could see over the other rows of patrons and actually welcomed them to the theatre and hoped that they would enjoy the show. Afterward they asked the kids how they enjoyed it and then listened to their answer not just asking and ignoring as sometimes happens.
    I had the opportunity to see Mary Poppins in the West End in London almost 2 years ago and wanted to take the kids to see it also. Because we were familiar with the play sets I chose to sit in the mezzanine (on the 3rd row, center section and on an aisle) so we could see better than on the floor in orchestra and the balcony is just a little too high up. The sets are very tall and beautifully done with lots of detail in most of them. I love the silhouette pictures on the wall of the hallway in the Banks home. They remind me of the little shop on Main Street in Disneyland.

I will go through the major numbers describing the scenes and compare the 2 different performances as best as I remember them:
    Act I
    Chim Chim Cher-ee: written by Richard M. Sherman and Robert B. Sherman with new material by George Stiles and Anthony Drewe.
    Introduction by Bert. Address is projected onto a screen with a drawing of the neighborhood. Lights come up behind the screen to see the Banks home.

No. 17 Cherry Lane: written by George Stiles and Anthony Drewe.
    Both versions are an introduction to the characters living there and whom Mary Poppins will be coming to help. Sets are very similar if not identical. Looks like a huge doll house open to the audience with working stair cases and doors that open and close. Roof conceals the nursery for the children.

The Perfect Nanny: written by Richard M. Sherman and Robert B. Sherman.
    The children sing what they want in a nanny and it is rejected by their father. Song is identical to the movie version, just a little different inflection in the way it is sung.

Practically Perfect: Stiles/Drewe

Jolly Holiday: Sherman/Sherman with new material by Stiles/Drewe

Being Mrs. Banks: Stiles/Drewe

A Spoonful of Sugar: Sherman/Sherman

Precision and Order: Stiles/Drewe

A Man has Dreams: Sherman/Sherman with new material by Stiles/Drewe.
    Mr. Banks sings about the plans he had for his life. He wanted to study the stars and learn all that he could about them.

Feed the Birds: Sherman/Sherman be continued

Re: Mary Poppins on Broadway Review

Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious: Sherman/Sherman with new material by Stiles/Drewe.

Temper, Temper: Stiles/Drewe

Chim Chim Cher-ee: (reprise)

Act II
    Brimstone and Treacle (part 1): Stiles/Drewe

Cherry Tree Lane and Being Mrs. Banks (reprise): Stiles/Drewe

Brimstone and Treacle (part 2): Stiles/Drewe

Step In Time: Sherman/Sherman with new material by Stiles/Drewe.

Anything Can Happen: Stiles/Drewe

The end

Very good review thanks for posting it.
      The earth is round.... or so i've found.

Amazing review. Thank you so very much for doing this for us!

MiceChat 101: Be NICE! If you don't play well with others, you are in the wrong sandbox.

Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

I took this pic back in December, we didn't go see it though, we saw the Lion King

Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler
          Tassie, I found a quote for ya :lol:!

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia."

Charles M. Schulz
          Originally Posted by MWalton
          :lol: Did the pages take that long to reach around to your part of the world?!? :lol:

I saw it in London in march and (surprisingly) loved it! I'm not a fan of the "modern musical" but this show was very captivating. Of course, over half of the music was familiar and Shermaney goodness.

Ooh, thanks for this!
              Good morning, son
              In twenty years from now
              Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
              And I can tell you 'bout today
              And how I picked you up and everything changed
              It was pain
              Sunny days and rain
              I knew you'd feel the same things...

There is a nice and newer video in the Disney "Live Events" section of their official website that shows a lot more stuff than the old one. It is much better. I'll try to put the link but no guarantees it will work.

Hope you enjoy.

By the way, ALIASD posted in the News section of micechat that the last performance of Mary Poppins in London will be in January of 2008. If you are there, see it before it leaves!!

Ad Widget