X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Song of the south

Originally posted by Opus1guy View Post
    As you can read...I'm not a huge fan of the overall film. I'm all for it being re-released, but somehow I imagine Bob Iger sitting through a screening of this film and saying to himself, "Racism, schmaism. Who's gonna wanna buy this turkey?"

I completely agree with everything you said. I mean The animation was nice but not on par with Snow white or Pinocchio and daresay lower than Dumbo.(don't get me wrong Dumbo is a great film) and the Live action sequences were oddly composed. In addition to the story being idealistic and sappy the score was waaay out of control with the exceptions of the musical numbers. But i guess it is an important film in Disney history.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir.Mouse View Post
      But i guess it is an important film in Disney history.
      I know, how in the heck can I own every Disney film, if they won't release them all?

"We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together."

-Walt Disney

Comment

Originally posted by OogieBoogie View Post
        It was released over in Europe and Japan.
        On VHS, BETA and Laser Disc. There have been no official DVD releases.

For me, as an African American, the insulting thing is the way slavery is depicted. it seems in an effort by Disney to neutralize the film and not harm anyone, it bears an heir of ignorance
        This is one of the points of the story that is not very well related by the film. The film takes place after the American Civil War and none of the characters are currently slaves, still an ideal/naive look at Reconstruction. But it also is in line with how Walt Disney presented history. New Orleans Square was designed to take place around the 1860s (with more 1920s influences today, but still prior to the 1960s) and yet it has never been criticized for not mentioning any tensions found in the city, such as "White" and "Colored" facilities.

Originally posted by Opus1guy View Post
        As you can read...I'm not a huge fan of the overall film. I'm all for it being re-released, but somehow I imagine Bob Iger sitting through a screening of this film and saying to himself, "Racism, schmaism. Who's gonna wanna buy this turkey?"
        Which is probably why a lot of people are not desiring a big release like the ones for The Little Mermaid or The Jungle Book that come complete with television commercials and Disney Store merchandise. The Walt Disney Treasures line seems to be the right outlet. The line already has limited production, higher purchase price, minimal/no advertising, no merchandise, and is not even available at the Disney Store. The Walt Disney Treasures line is perfect for people who want a cop of Song of the South.

Comment

I saw it a few years ago, but fell asleep at the end. Did they ever find all the pieces of his head?

Comment

Originally posted by aashee View Post
            Although is has possibly the best Disney song of all time Zip-a-dee-do-dah.
            Better than all the Phil Collins stuff?
            Originally posted by Aristocat
            I miss David.
            Originally posted by Ginarella
            All I know is that David is a pimp Gryffindor.

Comment

Originally posted by larasound View Post

Just a little better than "Son of Man" or "You'll be in my heart"

Comment

I didn't think Bobby was that bad. Did anyone else? I thought he was actually one of the better child actors for his time, at least one of the best in a Disney film. Opus1 was being pretty harsh IMO. Sure he wasn't Haley Joel Osmond in Sixth Sense, but compared to some of those other Disney kids, I don't know, I just didn't think he was bad. I mean, geeze, that was over 50 years ago, of course it would be sappy. Did you ever watch Pollyanna? Give a poor, sad, and eventually dead guy a break.

Comment

I think that's the point. We keep trying to put it in modern context but it can't be done. I don't think Shirley Temple movies acurately depict inter-racial relationships but that doesn't invalidate them as movies. Almost all movies during about a 20 year period of time were sentimental to the point of banality. Just think, Summer Magic, In Search of the Castaways, Pollyana, Swiss Family Robinsons, Apple Dumpling Gang, Escape to Witch Mountain... etc. If we want to talk about racist representations look at Gone With the Wind, I haven't heard anyone talk about banning that or "The Jazz Singer" or "Birth of a Nation". Or if we're going to extremes, let's ban Dumbo. I don't know anyone who denies that the crows' song is more than a little bit of sterotyping.

Disney has always been about hope and unrealistic dreams coming true. Disney painted the world the way he wished it was, not the way it actually was. I can think of dozens maybe hundreds of period movies that are stupid to the point of cruelty but that was the time and we can't change it now.
                  If you find the movie offensive then don't watch it. I don't think however that those of us that want to see it again should be censored that way.
                  sigpic
                  I raise my Kitties right.... they only watch the finest shows.

Comment

(Kudos to anyone who actually gets this.)

Comment

well it's not like Disney should fully depict the horrific floggings and murder that happened in those days. If Disney wanted to be historically correct then the films would lose there intrigue and fantasy. and lets not forget that "The Black Cauldron" is already dark with out the historical references. Most Disney movies that are based on historical text have a strong tendency towards the
                      majestic. and with a film like SOTS it doesn't quite work.

Comment

No kudos for you.

Comment

aww man I was counting on those good o'l kudos!

Comment

Originally posted by larasound View Post
                            Not better than "Welcome"? my favorite!! :yea:

Originally posted by Jazzman View Post
                            No kudos for you.

Kudo's all around.... on me!

"We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together."

-Walt Disney

Comment

gee thanks! munch munch...

Comment

Honestly, if you don't want an idealized and not to mention fantasized view of things then don't watch Disney movies. Do you think it's possible to pop through chalk drawings in Edwardian England? Do you think a cat can come back to life in Victorian Scotland? Do you believe in mermaids, talking animals, flying elephants, fairy godmothers and little boys that live forever? Because Disney isn't about realistic representation.. it's about storytelling. Usually those stories are fairytales and I'm sorry but most fairy tales don't go into the living conditions of the period.

Black Cauldron was from books that were based on Welsh myths and even though it did a poor job of translating those books they were still based in a romanticized version of that time. I've personally seen much more romantic and un-realistic live versions of the story of King Arthur than Sword in the Stone. If you want kids to get the facts have them read books. Movies are for entertainment unless you're watching a documentary.
                                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Queentitania19 View Post
                                  Honestly, if you don't want an idealized and not to mention fantasized view of things then don't watch Disney movies....
                                  Right on!

Usually those stories are fairytales and I'm sorry but most fairy tales don't go into the living conditions of the period.
                                  vary true, however debatable. I mean fairytales in some ways are folk accounts and heightened retellings of grim reality. One might consider the story of Hansel and Gretel a symbolic portrayal of families living in the midst of famine. You could also venture to say that, depending on who is telling the story, the Mother Goose tales underline recurrent themes of poverty, crime, death, and danger.
                                  So there you have it. But honestly, SOTS is a good movie and I’m going to buy the DVD.
                                  Last edited by Sir.Mouse; 12-09-2007, 12:38 PM.

Comment

That is true. Fairy tales are sometimes ways of sending a message that should be passed down. But the message varies from story to story. Hansel and Gretel may be a story about famine but the Book of Three (Black Cauldron) series is about real honor and loyalty and the best rewards of humanity. The story uses the details to convey the message. Most fairy tales, like the ones of the Grimm Brothers, don't go into such details as historical accuracy. It sets the story, gives the message and calls it a day.

SOTS wasn't meant to be an in depth look at the relationships of post civil war civilization. It was meant to be a piece of whimsy and story telling. Condemning it for being an unrealistic representation is as ridiculous as condemning Mary Poppins for giving a romanticised version of the caste structure of Edwardian England. Or the Happiest Millionaire for turn of the century Boston or even Pirates of the Caribbean for glossing over scurvy and disease mortality rates. It isn't part of the story so it doesn't belong in the movie.
                                    sigpic

Comment

http://boxofficemojo.com/features/?id=2417&p=.htm

Box Office Mojo had an interview with Dick Cook. Song of the South is mentioned on page 2. They are continuing to think about it apparently.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Comment

Right on!

vary true however debatable. I mean fairytales in some ways are folk accounts and heightened retellings of the grim reality. One might consider the story of Hansel and Gretel a symbolic portrayal of families living in the midst of famine. You could also venture to say that, depending on who is telling the story, the Mother Goose tales underlines recurrent themes of poverty, crime, death, and danger.
                                        So there you have it. But honestly, SOTS is a good movie and I’m going to buy the DVD.
                                        Great points. Good post!

That is true. Fairy tales are sometimes ways of sending a message that should be passed down. But the message varies from story to story. Hansel and Gretel may be a story about famine but the Book of Three (Black Cauldron) series is about real honor and loyalty and the best rewards of humanity. The story uses the details to convey the message. Most fairy tales, like the ones of the Grimm Brothers, don't go into such details as historical accuracy. It sets the story, gives the message and calls it a day.

SOTS wasn't meant to be an in depth look at the relationships of post civil war civilization. It was meant to be a piece of whimsy and story telling. Condemning it for being an unrealistic representation is as ridiculous as condemning Mary Poppins for giving a romanticised version of the caste structure of Edwardian England. Or the Happiest Millionaire for turn of the century Boston or even Pirates of the Caribbean for glossing over scurvy and disease mortality rates. It isn't part of the story so it doesn't belong in the movie.
                                        Another great post!

Originally posted by mycroft16 View Post
                                        http://boxofficemojo.com/features/?id=2417&p=.htm

Box Office Mojo had an interview with Dick Cook. Song of the South is mentioned on page 2. They are continuing to think about it apparently.

Dick Cook: I don't know. We've definitely given it a lot of thought. When we do Song of the South, we have to do it in such a sensitive, smart way and be very respectful.
                                        Sounds more than continuing to think about it... rather, sounds more like it's DVD release is actually inevidable. ?

-Walt Disney

Comment

I just read that article and all I have to say is please, please, please do not remake Swiss Family Robinson. It's an amazing movie... leave it alone.

It does sound like they are dancing around a commited statement because they can't figure out how to introduce it. Dismiss the controversial statements while still honoring it as an accomplishment in film. It's a dilemma.
                                          sigpic

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X