This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: High-Def DVD Battle Heats UP

The only reason you need 1080p is if you have a 50 inch tv...

Comment

To the majority of people purchasing out there, all they really care about is the price point. Its only the technophiles who really care about the differences in HD and Blu-Ray. I'm in the technology world, but when it comes to these things I can't really tell the difference much between 720 and the higher formats. I just want something that looks nice and isn't going to break the bank for me.

Its these people who are going to decide the war. Its going to be what the average joe picks up that decides this standard. If Blu Ray can't compete on price with HD-DVD then they'll be sunk. The only real thing that BluRay has over HD-DVD is capacity. Other than that, you can't tell much difference between them. HD-DVD has an edge that its much cheaper to produce an HD-DVD than it is a Blu-Ray disk. Right now I'll take a huge price point difference over that extra capacity.

Comment

It's important not to trivialize the future...

The only DVD player I ever bought was the one included on my PS2. I've had it since 2002. I loved the way the DVD's looked compared to VHS.

However, I hardly ever buy DVD's. The main deal breaker for me when purchasing a DVD are the special features. Commentaries, Featurettes, easter eggs, etc. This was something that didn't really exist when DVD's first came out. You'd get production notes and a trailer.

It's hard to predict the future because we don't know what unforseen goodies may come down the line. Of course, the average person goes for price over quality, so who knows, it may not even be a factor.

Comment

The format war will be won by the format with the cheapest player and brand recognition. Remember that most people buying these things have no clue about the technology involved. Example:

Wal-Mart Customer - I wanna hd movie player for my new TV.

Wal-Mart Employee - Ok, we have HD-DVD players and Blu-Ray players.

Wal-Mart Customer - What's a Blu-Ray? I want hd movies. Gimme that cheap HD-DVD one.

Comment

Ya'll are talking about the Blue Ray Discs right??
            if so they sure are expensive~
            I WILL love HIM 4eveer!!
            :love: 7 Days :love:
            Kellie's Saying of the day:

Comment

Funny thing in all of this is that "Buena Vista Distribution" (aka Disney) is on the HD-DVD board... In fact Disney was going to be HD-DVD, the Blu-Ray change was over the Pixar Merger, and the fact that Steve Jobs and Apple we're part of Blu-Ray. (Apple has always had a strong relationship with Sony).

Disney in fact was a big part of the HDi programming interface in HD-DVD.

(Wierder yet is Microsoft wrote it, but the Toshiba Players all run under the Linux Kernel! =-)

Comment

Ability of the eye to see 1080p

A person's ability to distinguish small details is described by visual acuity. When individual pixels are barely resolvable, increased resolution brings no benefit for the viewer, unless the viewing distance can be shortened or the display enlarged. For many users' television viewing distances, in order to see the full benefit from 1080p content a display must be bigger than usual or the viewing distance needs to be closer than usual. The ability of the eye to resolve 1080p content also depends on the amount of contrast in the picture. For optimum viewing of resolution it has been recommended that you sit back a maximum of approximately three times the height of your display.[7][8][9]

(Stolen from WikiPedia).

Comment

Great info/opinions, pinkerton! thx.

Comment

I believe it was ILM many many many years ago that determined beyond a certain amount of pixels that the human eye can't even tell the difference...it was like 2000 or something...

Comment

What's the point of having high capacity on the Blu-Ray if the studios aren't going to use it?

Blu-Ray is probably going to be the standard for video games eventually, but movies don't have as much data as games, even with the bonus features.

IMO, the capacity of the HDDVD is PLENTY for movies and bonus features.

Comment

You only say 1080p is not important if you don't have it

But ya, there is a diference if you like fast moving things. And if you are going to go hi-def why not go full hi-def? With price points falling almost every week there is really no reason not to do it, if you are going to go hi-def.

Plus go to your local store, look at the selection of HD and then the selecion of Blu-Ray and see how much more vast the Blu-Ray selection is, and the price point for both versions are the same on average. Then go try to rent sme HD from Blockbuster

Comment

With price points being low for HD-DVD players and more good titles coming out in the upcoming holiday season, this battle will become more heated.

Comment

One reason why I feel hd dvd will win out in the end is not price but features. The web enabled features are a great feature that blu ray cant do. Add that price and the fact that ps3 is sinking faster then the titanic, I think the writing is on the wall. I saw 14.98 hd dvd movies at wal mart the other day. Big hugh section, at least 30. They had blue rey too, and guess where in a little stact next to the ps3 games. Humm I wonder witch one is gonna sell more.

Comment

I just posted this in another thread, but it is worth posting here I think too:

Originally posted by Chernabog
                              I just purchased the Blurays of Ratatouille and the Pixar Shorts today.

I first watched the short of "One Man Band" and my jaw absolutely freaking dropped. It looks.... I can't even begin to describe how amazing it looks. There are textures I've never seen before. Wow, just.. wow.

Ratatouille has a really stupid game, but the movie itself is also visually breathtaking. I saw the DVD version last week, and while it looks really good, the Bluray version is a definite step up (I'm running the Bluray (Ps3) via HDMI input into a 50" 1080p LED-DLP set). It sounds fantastic as well, but I don't have the best speakers right now and can't use the subwoofer due to neighbor issues, so it is hard to compare.

Visually though... sorry bluray haters, but you're missing out on the Disney stuff.
                              I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)
                              sigpic

Founding Member of the BA!

Comment

I'm not a blu-ray hater I just don't think the extra price is worth it. If Disney would release their things on HD-DVD your jaw would be hitting the floor as well. Yes, Blu-Ray currently has more studio support but that's a rather fluid thing and can change rather quickly. I personally want HD-DVD to win because its cheaper and very comparable in quality.

Comment

I'm definately not a Blu-Ray hater, and if Blu-Ray wins the HD war, I'm totally fine with it.

But I don't have an HDTV so spending all that money on a Blu-Ray player and Blu-Ray DVD's right now makes absolutely no sense for me. Personally, I'm fine with what I have for now. There are a few other things on the purchase front we need to worry about before a new TV. (Fix up truck, new computer).

Comment

Originally posted by sir clinksalot View Post
                                    There are a few other things on the purchase front we need to worry about before a new TV. (Fix up truck, new computer).
                                    Awwwww -- you forgot "send Chernabog to Toyko 'cuz he's such a swell guy" I'm honestly not caring all that much who wins the format war (I do have an unused HDMI slot) -- as long as SOMEONE wins. I'm not going to get an HD-DVD player unless the scales massively tip AND the studios don't give up on Hi-Def formats entirely.

That's where the HD-DVD camp annoys me. It was dying a nice little death, but recent activities have slowed the process, ultimately hurting the consumer who has no idea which format to get. Bluray scales would be skyrocketing by now and the prices would drop on the players.

I don't want to see hi-def discs go the way of the dodo, a la laserdiscs.

I do agree though, if you do not have an HDTV don't bother with either format until you (are forced to) get one.
                                    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)
                                    sigpic

Founding Member of the BA!

Comment

Totally. I'm not saying I don't want an HD-TV, because if I had the $$ laying around right now I'd certainly be getting one.

It's all about priorities.

Comment

Originally posted by kcnole View Post
                                        I'm not a blu-ray hater I just don't think the extra price is worth it. If Disney would release their things on HD-DVD your jaw would be hitting the floor as well. Yes, Blu-Ray currently has more studio support but that's a rather fluid thing and can change rather quickly. I personally want HD-DVD to win because its cheaper and very comparable in quality.
                                        Blu-Ray has more potential to grow in the future. Everything electronic changes at a rapid pace these days. Blu-Ray has a better chance of keeping up with those changes.

And doesn't Blu-Ray have a scratch resistant polymer? That alone is a huge seller for me. I hate not being able to use DVD's because of that.

Originally posted by sir clinksalot View Post
                                        What's the point of having high capacity on the Blu-Ray if the studios aren't going to use it?

Blu-Ray is probably going to be the standard for video games eventually, but movies don't have as much data as games, even with the bonus features.

IMO, the capacity of the HDDVD is PLENTY for movies and bonus features.
                                        The EXACT same thing was said for videogames. Why go to Blu-Ray when current games don't even full a double layer DVD? Then comes Killzone 2 with a whopping 1GB first level.

The fact is, NO ONE can predict the future in terms of what can be done. I remember the first time I played that Snow White game on the Platinum DVD. I couldn't believe it. Never saw that coming based on the "features" most DVD's had at the time.

Comment

^ But the fact remains, right now, most companies ARE NOT using even a portion of the capacity for the Blu-Ray for movies.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X