• Show
Clear All

• Osmond family patriarch George dies at 90

George Osmond, 90; patriarch of family of singers including
    Donny and Marie

By Valerie J. Nelson
    Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
    November 7, 2007

George Osmond, the patriarch who launched the singing and entertainment careers of the Osmond family 45 years ago during a fortuitous trip to Disneyland, has died. He was 90.

Osmond, who had been in failing health, died Tuesday of complications related to old age at his home in Provo, Utah, said family spokesman Kevin Sasaki.

George Osmond

Less than a day before, his daughter Marie Osmond, who is a contestant on "Dancing With the Stars," dedicated her latest performance on the ABC TV show to her parents. Her mother, Olive, died in 2004 at 79.
    George was a singer who taught four of his sons -- Alan, Wayne, Merrill and Jay -- to perform as a barbershop quartet. When he failed to get his sons an audition with "The Lawrence Welk Show," Osmond took the youngsters to Disneyland as a consolation prize.

After giving an impromptu concert at the park, the brothers were hired to perform regularly. Within weeks, the father of singer Andy Williams saw their act in Anaheim and recommended them to his son. They debuted on "The Andy Williams Show" in 1962. About a year later, a 6-year-old Donny joined the group.
    Last edited by ALIASd; 11-12-2007, 03:42 PM.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Re: Osmond family patriarch George dies at 90

Are you and Darkbeer the only ones who can post a new thread on this forum?

Comment

Originally posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
      Are you and Darkbeer the only ones who can post a new thread on this forum?

The MiceChat News "Club":

Dramaqueen, sir clinksalot, cellarhound, AliasD, OogieBoogie, TheDisneyInquisitor, disneytim and BigPigletFan
      "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Comment

So we can PM you breaking news and ask you to post it?

Comment

that was aweful news. He lead such a full life.

just finished watching oprah.. the entire osmond clan was on 120+.. they did this as a tribute to their father..

This show was wonderful

Friends for life

Comment

Very sad. But he lead a full and wonderful life, and was surrounded by a close knit, wonderul loving family. Now he and Olive are together again.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Originally posted by AGhostFromThePast
            all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

Comment

Originally posted by penguinsoda View Post
              Very sad. But he lead a full and wonderful life, and was surrounded by a close knit, wonderul loving family. Now he and Olive are together again.
              Yep this is so true.. like marie put it today.. they are now dancing again once again

Friends for life

Comment

"During a fortuitous trip to Disneyland" I wonder if there is any connection between that and the Disneyland TV episode starring the Osmond brothers and Kurt Russell. There was a subplot where the youngest Osmond brother wanted to ride on the "new" Haunted Mansion ride.
                Last edited by MikeChat; 11-09-2007, 11:19 AM.
                When I go to Disneyland, I tune my FRS Radio to channel 2, without a quiet code. They're faster than a cell phone and you can talk to a whole group at a time, and you don't have to get everyone's cell phone number in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
                  So we can PM you breaking news and ask you to post it?
                  I guess it could be sent to either of this section's Mods and/or any one else listed above including Dusty as a submission request.

Comment

Originally posted by HauntedMansionMike View Post
                    "During a fortuitous trip to Disneyland" I wonder if there is any connection between that and the Disneyland TV episode starring the Osmond brothers and Kurt Russell. There was a subplot where the youngest Osmond brother wanted to ride on the "new" Haunted Mansion ride.
                    That was Donny who kept taking off because he wanted to ride Haunted Mansion.

They were also on the "Disneyland After Dark" episode, which was several years earlier. They were all little kids on that one. I think Donny was like no more than 5 or 6.

Comment

But what I meant was, were they guests on two episodes of the Disneyland TV show because they got their careers from a fortuitous trip to Disneyland
                      When I go to Disneyland, I tune my FRS Radio to channel 2, without a quiet code. They're faster than a cell phone and you can talk to a whole group at a time, and you don't have to get everyone's cell phone number in advance.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X