X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Baloo
    • Jun 2005

Re: Disney Disputes Pirate Ride Ash Scattering - ABC News, 11/16/07

i think the problem with some of the blos is that it seems like they promote some of these problems to occur.

for instance, was it necessary for Mr. Lutz to let everyone that reads his stories that attractions at Disneyland lack cameras. Worse is he gives names and locations of some of these attractions.

Why the need to prmote that? Seems like he just gave rude teenagers and or other vandals or people just wantng ot create trouble ideas of where they can be done.

Comment

• GroovyYaYa
      • Aug 2005

Originally posted by Darkbeer View Post

But how much "media" space did Disneyland get in the last few weeks with Al's stories about "small world" and the ashes. A LOT, and just in time for the Christmas season.

How much promotion have websites created in general, how many extra bodies have visited Disney parks and hotels, watched a specific movie, etc?

Those are thing Disney wants, and if they were smart, would not ignore and make "bad/rude" official comments about them. Rob Doughty made a big mistake in his comments to ABC News, IMHO.
      Respectfully, the media space that Disneyland got in regards to Al's article is NEGATIVE media space, and naturally, would not be desirable in the company's eyes. Sure, the statement made leaves something to be desired, but they had to respond and to some extent, deny. My first thought when reading Al's article was first EWWWWW, then "dang, hope I don't get behind Susie who is spreading Aunt Sarah, 'cause my asthma would DEFINITELY go off at that!"

By admitting it happens, they'd be opening themselves up for some lawsuits - annoying at the very least. There would be folks who would probably spread some ashes - fireplace and otherwise - then go and complain about it in order to see what free stuff they could get.

Comment

• TheDisneyInquisitor
        Disney Memory Maker
        • Jan 2005

Originally posted by BigThunder View Post
        Very stupid PR tact for the resort to take. This denial will only keep the story alive longer. You've got a reliable reporter on the Disney scene saying one thing, and the Company basically calling him a liar. This fuels the fire of continued speculation on the part of the media. When will they finally wake up and figure out the power of the web?
        You make the assumption that anyone outside of the Disney park-centric community (mostly comprised by this site, the Magical WDW site and a few others) actually cares. What does Disney get out of confirming this? Nothing. What does Disney get out of denying this? Nothing. So I mean yes, it would have been better if they just ignored the article (PR-wise anyway)... but if they felt the need to do either, there really isn't much of a difference between a denial and a confirmation in this case.
        Walt Disney

Comment

• Monorail Man
          MiceChatter
          MiceChat Administrator
          • Jan 2005

Originally posted by GroovyYaYa View Post
          Respectfully, the media space that Disneyland got in regards to Al's article is NEGATIVE media space, and naturally, would not be desirable in the company's eyes.
          Yes, it's negative to the result, but it's not as if it puts the park at blame. It's basically a "here's a bunch of crazy people who dump ashes, and they are doing it at Disneyland". Disney could just say, "Yes, this is a serious problem. However, our Cast Members have policy and procedures that prevent this, and there is nothing to be worried about." Instead, they deny it like crazy, which is typical corporate spin.
          -Monorail Man

Comment

• Susabelle
            I may be nutz...but...
            • Dec 2006

Originally posted by speederscout View Post
            Something that I haven't seen mentioned on ANY of these 'cremation' topic threads is this: Disney's main concern about people spreading an unidentified 'dust' around. Anyone remember the anthrax scares in the not-to-distant past? And remember that Disney IS on 'target' lists.

That's why the rides are cycled out and shut down and the police are called: to identify the 'human remains' and to make sure it isn't something truly nefarious and deadly.
            ABSOLUTELY!!! It just might be something more sinister, and if a bunch of guests drop dead from anthrax or something, how will Disney spin the story then? Hmmmmm?
            susabelle

Comment

• sir clinksalot
              MiceChatter
              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by speederscout View Post
              Something that I haven't seen mentioned on ANY of these 'cremation' topic threads is this: Disney's main concern about people spreading an unidentified 'dust' around. Anyone remember the anthrax scares in the not-to-distant past? And remember that Disney IS on 'target' lists.

That's why the rides are cycled out and shut down and the police are called: to identify the 'human remains' and to make sure it isn't something truly nefarious and deadly.
              Exactly. How many people really believe somebody was spreading baby-powder in Pirates?

Originally posted by Ride Warrior View Post
              Definitely. The security check points at the park entrance are not there for no reason. Park officials are doing their best to monitor/eliminate any possible lethal threats that could place guests in harm's way.
              Those bag-checks are absolutely pointless. In the 2 occasions we went through them this weekend we were just waived through. They are there to give people a false sense of security. Like somebody couldn't have something harmful on their person.

Originally posted by mousechild View Post
              Disney gains nothing by confirming the practice of ash dumping. No matter how silly it looks it is better for them to deny, deny deny. The story now is unconfirmed reports of remain dumping. If Disney confirms that this has occurred there are tons of Stories that can be written. Favorite place to dump ashes, how it happens, how Disney responds, think up whatever version you want none of them are good for Disney.
              See my post about the baby-powder. If Disney comes out, says that it does indeed happen, and let's people know what becomes of their precious remains that will make people think twice.

It's also, as speederscout said, very suspicious and I think the penalty for dumping ANYTHING at Disneyland (even baby-powder) needs to be more severe.

Going back to the Antrhax scare for a second. You can't say Bomb in an airport/airplane, you shouldn't be able to sprinkle any type of powdery substance ANYWHERE without permission.

Comment

• ravencroft
                MiceChatter
                • Jul 2005

I know the Internet makes communication far more available than any time in human history but are there not a few things we ought not talk about? Just because we decide to keep certain topics confined to small groups does not imply we lack knowledge or sophistication.

I think Al Lutz is doing absoultely everything he can to raise his exposure, and the exposure of these websites. I think he is bordering on poor taste by stirring up the ashes scattering at Disneyland.

By raising awareness, it will most likely happen more now. It will, potentially, shut down rides more. Perhaps it may bring the authorities down on Disneyland Resort to do something more about the problem.

Al's reports on security cameras are on the good side. If Disney decides to increase the amount of camera coverage, I think this is a good effect. Everyone reading here knows (or should know) about the crazy antics that take place within the Park.
                Last edited by ravencroft; 11-20-2007, 07:10 AM.
                --
                http://www.bewaterwise.com

Comment

• sir clinksalot
                  MiceChatter
                  • Feb 2005

Originally posted by ravencroft View Post
                  I think Al Lutz is doing absoultely everything he can to raise his exposure, and the exposure of these websites. I think he is bordering on poor taste by stirring up the ashes scattering at Disneyland.
                  I couldn't disagree with this post more. I think Al tries (and does pretty good about) keeping a VERY low profile. You don't typically see him online too much, at meet's he keeps a very low-profile, etc.

Of course if a news outlet (like the ones you saw last week) ask Al to participate in a story he's going to do it. Who wouldn't. It's good for the site. If you knew Al, you would know that being a celebrity isn't at all what he's after.

Comment

• ravencroft
                    MiceChatter
                    • Jul 2005

Originally posted by sir clinksalot View Post
                    I think Al tries (and does pretty good about) keeping a VERY low profile. You don't typically see him online too much, at meet's he keeps a very low-profile, etc.

Of course if a news outlet (like the ones you saw last week) ask Al to participate in a story he's going to do it. Who wouldn't. It's good for the site. If you knew Al, you would know that being a celebrity isn't at all what he's after.

Al's goal is to get as many readers for micechat and miceage as he can. As he is able to do so, he can set the agenda for Disneyland. He is then able to bring attention to the things he does not think are right and he is then able to affect change. If there are no readers, DLR won't listen to what Al has to say or what Al thinks about what is going on at the parks.

Looks like you drank the kool-aid!
                    --

Comment

• Lindawdwtravel
                      New MiceChatter
                      • Nov 2007

I have to say, I really laughed when I heard this on the news. It brought me back to the day I was working in the Disney Res Center in Orlando & I actually got a phone call from a lady who wanted to know if she could scatter her husbands ashes at the Polyenesian because that was his favorite place to stay. So I say, yes, I believe the news....
                      Linda (former DRC Cast Member)
                      Mice Chat Travel Planner
                      [email protected]
                      www.magicalvacationworldtravel.com

Comment

• GroovyYaYa
                        • Aug 2005

Originally posted by Monorail Man View Post
                        Yes, it's negative to the result, but it's not as if it puts the park at blame. It's basically a "here's a bunch of crazy people who dump ashes, and they are doing it at Disneyland". Disney could just say, "Yes, this is a serious problem. However, our Cast Members have policy and procedures that prevent this, and there is nothing to be worried about." Instead, they deny it like crazy, which is typical corporate spin.
                        Actually, they DON'T have policies and procedures to prevent this - at least not affective ones. They aren't allowed to detain people, so there are NO repercussions for people. Also, you might not blame the company... but we are an extremely litigious country. Also, some people are VERY creeped out by ashes. I am purposely NOT mentioning it to some of the people going with me on my next trip - my mother is one, and she wouldn't even let a small vial of my grandparents' ashes in her house.

Frankly, I'm not sure if some innocent park-goer who gets a faceful of ashes from someone else deciding grandma needs to spend eternity on Big Thunder or Pirates wouldn't have grounds for some sort of complaint/lawsuit if it can be proven that Disney is aware of people doing it. My asthma isn't bad at all - mainly allergy induced - but if I inhaled Uncle Fred, I'd probably end up getting a ride in an ambulance so I could get some extra oxygen and get my lungs cleared out.

Comment

• Queentitania19
                          Making my own Mousekteers
                          • Nov 2007

As a former CM from WDW I can say that I know people dump their deceased on the rides. And nothing Disney does will stop them. I suppose the people that think it's in poor taste to mention it would rather unknowingly inhale great aunt Mattie? Either way you're still inhaling her, right? I've always thought it was kind of sad, but in a sweet way. As for the whole web media argument, that is what the fracas in L.A. is about right now. Studios disregard the internet for the huge financial opportunity that it is. Everyone suffers from it. Particularly writers, actors and directors.
                          sigpic
                          I raise my Kitties right.... they only watch the finest shows.

Comment

• Sabres2006
                            MiceChatter
                            • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Monorail Man View Post
                            Instead, they deny it like crazy, which is typical corporate spin.
                            The use of the term "spin" makes my skin crawl....(not because of anyone here, but for a very specific reason).

Here's why - I'm a PR professional, and I belong to a professional organization with a very specific code of ethics. Let's just say "lying" or "omitting the truth," and "spinning," really is not a part of public relations at all (really!), and can actually get you barred from being a member of this organization (the largest PR professional organization in the country). I actually quit my first PR job because the head of the organization wanted me to lie on news releases.

Unfortunately, many people employed in public relations roles are not qualified and do not care about real public relations, and have tainted the profession. There is no place for "spin" in public relations...

As a whole, I have been seriously disappointed in and underwhelmed by The Walt Disney Company's PR department. You would think it should be an example to me as a young professional...it's an example, of what NOT to do.
                            "When entering the theater, please move as far to the end of the row as possible. Stopping in the middle is distinctly unpatriotic." -Sam Eagle

"I may have invented these bifocals I'm wearing, but I can assure you they're not rose-colored" -Ben Franklin, The American Adventure

Comment

• ravencroft
                              MiceChatter
                              • Jul 2005

Uh Oh! Something tells me this thread won't be featured on the mousechat roundup over at Mice Age!
                              --

Comment

• sir clinksalot
                                MiceChatter
                                • Feb 2005

Originally posted by ravencroft View Post
                                Uh Oh! Something tells me this thread won't be featured on the mousechat roundup over at Mice Age!
                                Uhm, all of the news stories in this section are linked to the MiceAge home page.

Just look in the MiceChat news-feed. It's still there.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X