This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'There Will Be Blood'

I saw this film for the second time yesterday. If possible, it was even more riveting and dazzling to absorb. Daniel Day-Lewis creates yet again a wholly unique and unforgettable character in his "Daniel Planview." As with his Bill "The Butcher" Cutting from Scorsese's ''Gangs of New York', Hawkeye of Michael Mann's 'Last of the Mochicans', Christy Brown of 'My Left Foot' and Cecil Vyse from 'A Room with a View' Day-Lewis truly transforms. And he's a terrifying and magnetic creature, you can feel his will from the screen.

Director/Writer Paul Thomas Anderson adapted his script from the 1927 novel, 'Oil!' by Upton Sinclair and it's a marvel. Even better its great to see him evolve from the quirkier fare of 'Magnolia' and 'Boogie Nights' to a true cinematic American epic.

Paul Dano from last year's 'Little Miss Sunshine' is exceptional as an ambitious preacher and the young boy Dillon Freasier who plays Planview's young son, H.W. is just heartbreaking.

Daniel Day-Lewis should win his second Academy Award as Best Actor for this film.

With nods to the year's masterful performances given by George Clooney in 'Michael Clayton', Johnny Depp in 'Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street', 'American Gangsters' Denzel Washington and Russell Crowe, Brad Pitt in 'The Assassination of Jesse James by The Coward Robert Ford', Viggo Mortensen in 'Eastern Promises' and a few more, Day-Lewis has transcended.

http://www.therewillbeblood.com/
    Last edited by ALIASd; 01-16-2008, 11:41 AM. Reason: additions
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Re: 'There Will Be Blood'

Have you read the book? I read The Jungle by Upton Sinclair and was bored out of my mind. Just curious if it's better - I have to admit, I have been curious about this movie though.
    sigpic
    Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

Comment

I received a copy of it at yesterday's screening and am looking forward to reading it. Hope you get a chance to see this film soon.
      Last edited by ALIASd; 01-20-2008, 01:34 PM.
      "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Comment

Daniel Day Lewis was robbed not getting best actor for 'Gangs.'

He was equally brilliant in 'There will be blood.'
        Originally posted by Grumpee
        I only care for Disney bling!

Comment

He's going to get best actor this year, but the real question is can There Will Be Blood take the best picture prize from No Country For Old Men?
          Marquis d'Bod of the RCMC... always and forever

Comment

Originally posted by Master Gracie View Post
            He's going to get best actor this year, but the real question is can There Will Be Blood take the best picture prize from No Country For Old Men?
            Seen them both and I personally liked 'There will be blood" more but think 'NCFOM' will take it.
            Originally posted by Grumpee
            I only care for Disney bling!

Comment

I cannot wait to see this film!! Thanks for the review.

Comment

I believe the Academy will split things up between 'NCfOM' and this film in the major categories. The Coens will get Best Director and Best Picture, Best Actor to Day-Lewis and P.T.A. will get the Best Adapted Screenplay award.

Miramax Films co-produced both films with Paramount Vantage so Disney wins either way by association. Hopefully 'Ratatouille' and 'POTC: AWE' win in their respective categories as well.

Comment

Too bad, his work in the film is a huge part of its success.

Jonny Greenwood's 'Blood' score disqualified by AMPAS

Jonny Greenwood's original score for "There Will Be Blood" has been ruled ineligible by the music branch of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.

The news comes on the heels of last week's Best Foreign Language Film controversy, which left the two most critically acclaimed efforts of the year in that category out of contention (Romania's "4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days" and France's "Persepolis").
                  The disqualification has been attributed to a designation within Rule 16 of the Academy's Special Rules for Music Awards
                  http://www.variety.com/blog/89000048...370020437.html

Comment

Elswit tops ASC Awards with 'Blood'

Cinematographer wins feature honor

By Steve Chagollan
                    Variety
                    Posted: Sat., Jan. 26, 2008, 10:00pm PT

Robert Elswit staved off a tough field Saturday night at the American Society of Cinematographers awards ceremony when he topped the feature competition for his work on Paul Thomas Anderson’s “There Will Be Blood.”

“I just think it’s impossible to pick these five films apart from one another,” said Elswit, who has shot all of Anderson’s movies dating back to the filmmaker’s 1996 feature debut “Hard Eight.” “I’m really lucky that Janusz (Kaminki) did extraordinary work a year after he resigned from the ASC, and that Roger (Deakins) is competing with himself. To avoid this (from happening again) there should probably be a category called ‘best cinematography in a movie by Roger Deakins.”

As Elswit suggested, it’s anybody’s guess as to whether Deakins’ two noms, for “No Country for Old Men” and “The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford,” might have split the vote in Deakins’ disfavor. With the ASC’s nominees in perfect alignment with those of the Academy for only the second time in the ASC’s 22 years of bestowing awards, one might view Elswit’s ASC win as an Oscar bellwether. But given that the ASC’s 298 members only represent a fraction of the Acad’s 6,500-plus strong who are eligible to vote for Oscar’s winning cinematographer, it’s more like comparing apples and oranges.

The last time the two organizations matched noms, John Seale won both contests for “The English Patient,”a film with which this year’s “Atonement” -- shot by ASC and Oscar nominee Seamus McGarvey -- has been often compared.

Like that of Deakins, Elswit’s skill is evident in more than one film released this year; he also shot “Michael Clayton,” whose star, George Clooney, worked with Elswit on “Good Night, and Good Luck.”
                    http://www.variety.com/index.asp?lay...d=VR1117979690

Comment

I saw There Will Be Blood yesterday and must say that it was magnificent.

Comment

Just came back from TWBB and wanted to get this thread back on the boards. This movie was incredible with Daniel Day-Lewis blowing the competition for Best Actor out the window. Not many people are interested in watching this one, but if you get the chance, don't pass it up. I've never seen a better actor then Day-Lewis.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X