• ALIASd
    Top Shelf!
    MiceChat News Team
    • Jun 2005

'The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian'

First look: British newcomer Barnes brings sexy back to 'Narnia'

Disney Enterprises
    The adventure continues: Ben Barnes, who had a small role in
    last summer's Stardust, has the lead in Prince Caspian.
    He plays the rightful heir of the Narnia throne.

By Susan Wloszczyna
    USA TODAY
    January 21, 2008

The first film inspired by C.S. Lewis' seven-part Chronicles of Narnia had much to offer beyond The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe. There was the faun (James McAvoy's sweet Mr. Tumnus), the talking beavers and Santa, too.

But with a quartet of mostly unseasoned child actors as the Pevensie kids, the 2005 release was severely lacking in an elixir that fuels many fantasy epics: sex appeal.

MORE: Peter Dinklage big on dwarf role in 'Caspian'
    VIDEO: See the trailer
    PHOTOS: Check out more scenes from 'Prince Caspian'

But that was then. This is wow. Ben Barnes, 26, the British newcomer who plays the title role in Prince Caspian, has visitors to the film's Internet Movie Database message board virtually drooling.
    The graduate of London's Kingston University can't believe he's playing the main character from one of his favorite childhood tales.

"It still hasn't sunk in," he says. "It's been a whirlwind."

One minute, Barnes was doing an audition tape in London. The next, he was in L.A., charming director Andrew Adamson. A couple of weeks later, he stood on Narnia's set in New Zealand.

Anna Popplewell, who co-stars as Susan, says Barnes might need to invest in bodyguards soon.

"He's very gorgeous," says the actress, 19.
    Full article at:

'Prince Caspian' update - 2/5/07
    Last edited by ALIASd; 05-16-2008, 06:21 AM.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006
  • Queentitania19
    Making my own Mousekteers
    • Nov 2007

Re: 'The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian'

:lmao: That is fantastic. Of course, caspian is supposed to be very handsome.
    sigpic
    I raise my Kitties right.... they only watch the finest shows.

Comment

• Maverick
      What's a motto with you?
      • Apr 2007

who cares if he is sexy all that matters is if he can kick some @$$!
      Marquis d'Bod of the RCMC... always and forever

Comment

• FanaticFangirl
        I'm Back!!!
        • Apr 2007

I am very excited about this movie. Prince Caspian wasn't my favorite book of the Narnia series. But I think the movie version will kick some serious butt.

Comment

• ALIASd
          Top Shelf!
          MiceChat News Team
          • Jun 2005

The newest production photos are terrific:
          "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Comment

• Queentitania19
            • Nov 2007

I don't remember Caspian ever kicking anything. He mostly leads from behind. Even on the Dawn Treader he never really fights anyone. Mostly he is young, honest and determined.
            sigpic

Comment

• disneytim
              Thanking the Academy
              MiceChat News Team
              • Jul 2005

Swords Raised for Prince Caspian
              by Gregory Ellwood
              Hollywood Hitlist, MSN.com

After its predecessor, "The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe," surprised industry experts by grossing more than $290 million in the United States alone, you'd think the media would be taking "Prince Caspian" far more seriously. But the potential blockbuster seems amazingly under the radar compared with May's other openers. Therefore, it's not surprising that Disney sat your intrepid columnist down with director Andrew Adamson and producer Mark Johnson to watch a good 45 minutes of the upcoming flick. And, not surprisingly, there is a lot about the new movie for audiences to get excited about.
              The verdict: "Caspian" looks to be a noticeable improvement over "Wardrobe" and should win over some moviegoers who wanted more "Lord of the Rings"-style scope to the "Narnia" franchise.

Full Story (with some minor spoilers): http://movies.msn.com/movies/hitlist/02-26-08?GT1=7701

I have to agree with Ellwood. Except for hardcore Narnia fans, there doesn't seem to be a lot of buzz or anticipation for 'Prince Caspian.' I haven't seen much advertising either. Of course, after all the bombast over 'Pirates' the last two years, anything less for Disney's major summer live-action release seems rather insignificant. Is this low-key approach (for now) the smart way to go, especially with 'Caspian' in its second week of release going up against 'Indy 4'?

Of course, the trailer for last year's 'POTC3' didn't premiere until mid-March (the trailer for 'Caspian' debuted last December), so there's still plenty of time to build momentum. I just expected a harder push for a movie that's going to be crushed by Spielberg and Lucas a week after it premieres.
              Follow me on Twitter and Facebook.

Comment

• Queentitania19
                • Nov 2007

I'm now very nervous about this. I understand creative license but what the heck is this about Peter not being able to adjust to living in the real world? I hate it when they change the fundamentals of a character just because they think they need more drama.
                sigpic

Comment

• ALIASd
                  Top Shelf!
                  MiceChat News Team
                  • Jun 2005

Disney sweetens 'Narnia' videogame

'Prince Caspian' game to feature new scenes

Disney Interactive's 'Prince Caspian' vidgame
                  will feature two live-action scenes shot by the film's cast and crew.

By Ben Fritz
                  Variety
                  April 22, 2008

Comment

• Goofy Daddy
                    Knight that says Nee!!
                    • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Queentitania19 View Post
                    I'm now very nervous about this. I understand creative license but what the heck is this about Peter not being able to adjust to living in the real world? I hate it when they change the fundamentals of a character just because they think they need more drama.
                    I agree. It seems that hollywood, even when handed a "tried and true" story that has proved popular through multiple generations, can't help but put their own tweaks into things for "relevence" or "additional drama" and it usually ends up ruining the core of what made the source materiel so good.

Comment

• Queentitania19
                      • Nov 2007

OH my gosh, have you heard that they've decided to make all the Telmarines Spanish to highlight the conflict between them and the English Pevensies.... can we say politically incorrect anyone?????
                      sigpic

Comment

• Goofy Daddy
                        Knight that says Nee!!
                        • Dec 2006

Originally posted by disneytim View Post
                        I haven't seen much advertising either. Of course, after all the bombast over 'Pirates' the last two years, anything less for Disney's major summer live-action release seems rather insignificant. Is this low-key approach (for now) the smart way to go
                        I am not much of a TV watcher and yet I have seen the ad for this many times now so I am not sure what you mean by "low-key approach" and not seen much advertising.

At least once a night on network TV I see an ad for it and on Disney Channel they show a "behind the scenes" type of ad almost twice an hour during their 6pm to 8pm time slot.

I agree they will probably push Indy 4 more/harder but then the Indy franchise has far more potential to attract crowds outside the fantasy genre than Narnia has and Indy has more history.

Comment

• Angie_Duke
                          Fortuosity!
                          • Mar 2008

Just a question, when was sexy ever in Narnia to begin with?
                          I like The Happiest Millionaire. What's wrong with that?

Comment

• FanaticFangirl
                            I'm Back!!!
                            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Angie_Duke View Post
                            Just a question, when was sexy ever in Narnia to begin with?
                            When they started making movies.

Hollywood has a reputation for hiring the really really good looking people in the world.

I was worried for a bit. Because Caspian in the movie poster looks all sexy and stuff. My brother and I were like "WTF?" Caspian is supposed to be a bit of a geek and a little younger in the books, if I remember correctly.

And . . . *shows off shiny new banner I made*

Comment

• ALIASd
                              Top Shelf!
                              MiceChat News Team
                              • Jun 2005

Who are you going to sell more tickets (books, DVDs, merchandise, etc.)worldwide with - the kid you makes your Jamba Juice drink in the strip mall or the best actor found in a multi-continent search that fits a specific type envisioned by the director, producers and studio with hundreds of millions of dollars on the line?

Comment

• Goofy Daddy
                                Knight that says Nee!!
                                • Dec 2006

Originally posted by ALIASd View Post
                                Who are you going to sell more tickets (books, DVDs, merchandise, etc.)worldwide with - the kid you makes your Jamba Juice drink in the strip mall or the best actor found in a multi-continent search that fits a specific type envisioned by the director, producers and studio with hundreds of millions of dollars on the line?
                                Is there a third choice?

Comment

• ALIASd
                                  Top Shelf!
                                  MiceChat News Team
                                  • Jun 2005

Originally posted by Goofy Daddy View Post
                                  Is there a third choice?
                                  This has been in play since the days of Douglas Fairbanks Sr., Constance Talmadge, Gloria Swanson, Rudolph Valentino and Clara Bow.

Comment

• Angie_Duke
                                    Fortuosity!
                                    • Mar 2008

Originally posted by FanaticFangirl View Post
                                    When they started making movies.

Hollywood has a reputation for hiring the really really good looking people in the world.
                                    My god! I never would have thought!

Originally posted by FanaticFangirl View Post
                                    I was worried for a bit. Because Caspian in the movie poster looks all sexy and stuff. My brother and I were like "WTF?" Caspian is supposed to be a bit of a geek and a little younger in the books, if I remember correctly.

And . . . *shows off shiny new banner I made*
                                    My comment was not on why they casted this guy in the role of Caspian (and I agree with you he looks nothing like I imagined) but the fact that the article's headline implies that there was a sexy male presence in Narnia prior to Caspian. It was a joke but, still, who do you think it was?
                                    I like The Happiest Millionaire. What's wrong with that?

Comment

• Queentitania19
                                      • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Angie_Duke View Post
                                      My god! I never would have thought!

My comment was not on why they casted this guy in the role of Caspian (and I agree with you he looks nothing like I imagined) but the fact that the article's headline implies that there was a sexy male presence in Narnia prior to Caspian. It was a joke but, still, who do you think it was?
                                      I always kind of had a crush on King Trinian from the Last Battle.
                                      sigpic

Comment

• ALIASd
                                        Top Shelf!
                                        MiceChat News Team
                                        • Jun 2005

The first industry trade reviews:

New U.S. Release

The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian

Unquestionably the first film sequel with the distinction of taking place 1,300 years after the initial series installment, "The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian" features more clanging swords than all the Robin Hood and Ivanhoe movies put together. Closer to a straight-ahead medieval battle picture than the fantastical, other-worldly journey depicted in "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe," this new entry is a bit darker, more conventional and more crisply made than its 2005 predecessor, which pulled in $292 million domestically and an amazing $452 million internationally. Given the abundant visual wonders and large action quotient, Disney and Walden Media have no reason to fear B.O. will be far off those marks this time around.
                                        full review at:
                                        http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117...goryid=31&cs=1

Film Review: The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian

Bottom Line: A bit of the magic is gone, but the enchantment lives on.

The lion is back, the witch puts in an appearance, but that musty old wardrobe has been put out of commission in "The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian," a worthy if somewhat less wondrous successor to that 2005 phenomenon.

Several shades darker in tone than the previous edition -- which, to be fair, didn't carry the burden of expectation that a sequel must bear -- the return to Narnia still casts a transporting spell that should nicely build on that $745 million worldwide foundation.
                                        Full review at:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...jsp?&rid=11075

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X