Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone remember (and miss) movie theatre lobby cards?

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone remember (and miss) movie theatre lobby cards?

Lobby cards have been produced and shipped to theatres for display in their lobbies since their inception in the early 'teens.

However, with the decline of the traditional theatres and their replacement with multiplexes with tiny lobbies, lobby cards themselves became a thing of the past. Consequently, by 1985 most American studios stopped making them.

However, interestingly enough, these very same American studios have continued producing "American" lobby cards for distribution abroad. Some of these lobby cards find their way back to this continent because of collectors' demand. These newer cards are not priced as high as the classics, although they can be just as rare. The bottom line is that if you like to collect, say, Johnny Depp, you may find it just as difficult as collecting Clark Gable.

I used to love looking at the posters and lobby cards on display in the lobby at the theatre when I was a kid. I really don't know why the rise of multiplexes ruined that experience, because there are many multiplex lobbies that are huge and have plenty of room for lobby cards and artful poster displays.

Re: Anyone remember (and miss) movie theatre lobby cards?

I dont remember these. My sister worked at a theater in the later 80s so I have a lot of old movie posteds (especially all the roger rabbit...tummy trouble ones) but thats about it

A little piece of heaven

Comment

Re: Anyone remember (and miss) movie theatre lobby cards?

Originally posted by MollyTrolly View Post
      I dont remember these. My sister worked at a theater in the later 80s so I have a lot of old movie posteds (especially all the roger rabbit...tummy trouble ones) but thats about it
      Yeah, by then theatres had pretty much stopped using lobby cards, so it's not surprising that you wouldn't have seen them or recall them.

I liked them because they added to the overall feeling of just seeing a movie being a kind of "event," whether it was big or small.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X