• Show
Clear All

• 'Lone Ranger' rides for Disney

Disney preps 'Lone Ranger' remake

By Borys Kit and Carl DiOrio
    The Hollywood Reporter
    March 27, 2008

"The Lone Ranger"

Writers Ted Elliott and Terry Rossio are going from "shiver me timbers!" to "Hi-yo Silver!"

The writing duo, best known for their work on the "Pirates of the Caribbean" films, are in final negotiations to write a live-action big-screen adaptation of "The Lone Ranger" for Disney and producer Jerry Bruckheimer.

The project will be made by Disney and Jerry Bruckheimer Films in association with Entertainment Rights.

"Ranger," owned by Classic Media, began life as a 1930s radio show. Its popularity led to movie serials, TV shows, comic strips and comic books, toys, novels and more.

The hero's origin story begins with a group of Texas Rangers chasing down a gang of outlaws led by Butch Cavendish. The gang ambushes the Rangers, seemingly killing them all. One survivor is found, however, by an American Indian named Tonto, who nurses him back to health. The Ranger, donning a mask and riding a white stallion named Silver, teams up with Tonto to bring the unscrupulous gang and others of that ilk to justice.

Despite the long-standing presence in pop culture, however, "Ranger" has not enjoyed success in modern times. The character's most recent shot at the big screen, 1981's "The Legend of the Lone Ranger," failed so badly that the film's star, Klinton Spilsbury, never worked in Hollywood again. In 2003, WB Network aired a TV movie that served as a backdoor pilot, but it also bit the dust.

Part of the problems are the character's tropes -- wearing a mask, using only silver bullets, a creed that includes not killing your fellow man, the exclamation "Hi-yo Silver, away!" -- which can seem musty to today's audiences.
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...80bb7be375dd49
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Re: 'Lone Ranger' rides for Disney

I really hope it is better then the 80's version. I'm curious how it will turn out.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Comment

Part of the problems are the character's tropes -- wearing a mask, using only silver bullets, a creed that includes not killing your fellow man, the exclamation "Hi-yo Silver, away!" -- which can seem musty to today's audiences.
      Alright -- have to disagree with at least half of that statement.

Masks haven't stopped people from enjoying the Batman movies. Silver bullets -- not sure why that's musty. Unless it's because of the werewolf movies made since Lone Ranger started. Not killing fellow man? Well, I don't believe that was always the case for the Lone Ranger. Like almost any superhero, it was the last resort to stop the villain. Ok, Hi-yo Silver might be up there close to Robin's "Holy..." exclamations.

Lone Ranger has *so* much potential. It's really a great western for people that hate westerns. I grew up with a father that watched almost nothing but westerns and The Lone Ranger was one of the few that I would willingly watch.

He's just a great Batman-like character. They'd have to really be sloppy for this to not work.

As long as they keep the dark and mysterious aspect of the Lone Ranger, it should work well enough.

I'd say this and Sam Raimi's version of The Shadow would be the top two of my most anticipated movies not yet really in production.
      -Tim

Comment

It would be great if a new Disney/Bruckheimer colaboration does for The Lone Ranger (and Westerns?) what it did for pirates after that other little Pirate trilogy.

Comment

Awesome!

I think this will turn out great. I'm a fan of Ted and Terry's work with Pirates of the Caribbean and it's cool Jerry Bruckheimer is producing it.

Comment

Could this bring a new attraction to Frontierland

Comment

Originally posted by Oswald the Rabbitt View Post
              One could only hope...

Could be a great way (or excuse, whichever works) to bring back some of the classic attractions.
              -Tim

Comment

this will be intresting.
                thats all I can say.
                My Art site
                http://mediafan658.deviantart.com/

Comment

It'd be awesome if this could bring some new life to Frontierland! Very interesting news, indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by Oswald the Rabbitt View Post
                    I remember hearing rumors that Disney was already in some early stages of planning an attraction (possibly a big, E-ticket style ride) and put it in Frontierland.

I think that would be cool if it became a reality.

Comment

Hopefully we can expect a lot of explosions from Michael Bay.

AUTOPIA: Fan Since 1991

Comment

Originally posted by TheRockr View Post
                        Hopefully we can expect a lot of explosions from Michael Bay.
                        Hopefully (?) he'll be too tired from 'Transformers 2'.
                        "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Comment

Cool news.

I think it'd be great if they actually filmed it in Black and White.

Comment

Originally posted by sir clinksalot View Post
                            Cool news.

I think it'd be great if they actually filmed it in Black and White.
                            Well, we can dream, but even the Clayton Moore theatrical films were photographed in color.

It took me a minute to figure out just why Disney owns the rights to The Lone Ranger now. Then it dawned on me - Jack Wrather. He owned the rights. When the Wrather Corporation was bought by Disney, the rights to the Lone Ranger went to them (along with the Disneyland Hotel, the Queen Mary, the Spruce Goose, and other properties).

Jack Wrather's bio mentions it - http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0942019/bio

Anyway, if ANYBODY could make The Lone Ranger into a hit movie, it's Ted Elliott & Terry Rossio. After all, they did a great job with bringing back Zorro. Jerry Bruckheimer producing only helps in this regard as well.

I'm a little curious how Tonto's going to be written, though. I mean, seriously, could anyone really top Jay Silverheels?

Comment

Wearing a mask and having a creed that says you shouldn't kill your fellow man. Hmmm...that sounds a lot like Batman, which appeals to modern audiences greatly.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X