• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pixar's 'Presto' short

Presto

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/cgi/pixars-presto

http://hiroanim.org/
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Re: Pixar's 'Presto' short

Shurer explains that the stakes are lower and the staffs are smaller on the shorts. "Supervising a crew of five people is a great opportunity to learn how to do that with a big crew on a full-fledged feature like Cars. She cites Doug Sweetland, who was supervising animator on Boundin', the short that accompanied The Incredibles, and moved onto to the same position on Cars.

"Not that Doug needed to be trained in animation, he's one of the top computer animators in the industry. It's that he had the opportunity to lead a crew, which is very different. You're looking to make a whole crew animate at something resembling your level, which is a pretty high bar in Doug's case. You're learning how to do bidding [estimating the time it will take to animate a shot] and balancing a production quota with the excellence you're looking for. If you're Doug it's going to take you a lot less time than one of the junior animators on your team. You have to learn how to work with that and help them along."

Pixar's shorts program serves as R&D for the studio and a way to develop talent.
    Doug Sweetland first supervised the animation on the short, Boundin' (above),
    before moving onto the same job on Cars

Pixar's shorts program has opened the door to some fascinating career moves for their creative staff. Lifted, the studio's newest short is directed by longtime sound designer Gary Rydstrom and will accompany Ratatouille into theaters next summer. "Gary had no directing experience before Lifted, but he had 13 Oscar nominations for sound design," says Shurer. "He's collaborated with us for many, many years on every Pixar film from Luxo Jr. up to Finding Nemo. Now he's moved onto directing side and will be doing a feature for us down the road."
    Beyond the opportunity to deepen Pixar's own talent pool, Shurer considers shorts as a fundamental part of the animation medium. "It's something worthy of protecting," she says. "They're an opportunity for animators, independent animators, people who love the medium to express themselves. That's how we started, so we have a deep tradition of it here. We transitioned from a software/hardware company into an animation studio through short films."
    Read more on Pixar's Doug Sweetland and more here:

The Renaissance Age of Animated Shorts
    http://mag.awn.com/index.php?ltype=p...no=3095&page=1
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Comment

The Amazing Presto!

Source: ComingSoon.net
      June 17, 2008

Moviegoers who go see Disney/Pixar's WALL-E on June 27 will get to see Pixar Animation Studios' latest animated short, "Presto." We at ComingSoon.net have gotten a chance to see the short, written and directed by Doug Sweetland, and can say without a doubt that it's one of Pixar's best ones. It's definitely a treat before the main feature even starts. Here's Pixar's official synopsis with photos following:
      Dignity. Poise. Mystery. We expect nothing less from the great, turn-of-the-century magician, Presto. But, when Presto forgets to feed his rabbit one too many times, well, there's really no telling what to expect! This latest comical short film from Pixar Animation Studios follows the escalating high jinx of the amazing Presto, his rabbit Alec, and what happens onstage when a star magician's ego provokes some clever revenge from his neglected costar.

photos at:
      http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=46025

Comment

I love love loved this short. It starts off a little slow but I was almost crying laughing by the end.
        sigpic
        I raise my Kitties right.... they only watch the finest shows.

Comment

I herd this was funny. I can't wait to see it tonight.
          Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally
          Golly, what a day

Comment

I loved it! That bunny is so cute! Where can I get me one? I will have to see it again to catch all the gags. It went by so fast! Perfect opening to a wonderful movie.

Comment

Certainly my new favorite of all the shorts! I LOVED the Looney Tunes-esque physical humor, you don't get that as much anymore.
              "Remember 'Old Yeller'? We shot the dog." - Roy E. Disney

Comment

My whole family absolutely LOVED this cartoon!! I was laughing for a few minutes after it ended! :thumbup:

Comment

Fabulous!!!!!! Rolling in my seat laughing.
                  The Mur

Comment

Presto! is now available on iTunes.

Enjoy!
                    "If you build it right, they will come." - Bob Iger

"I'm not a literary person. As far as realism is concerned, you can find dirt anyplace you look for it. I'm one of those optimists. There's always a rainbow." - Walt Disney

"I don't care about critics. Critics take themselves too seriously. They think the only way to be noticed and to be the smart guy is to pick and find fault with things. It's the public I'm making pictures for." - Walt Disney

Comment

it was really funny! I just wish a new pixar short dvd would come out with it on it, my kids love em!
                      Mandy

Comment

another amazing pixar short....

Comment

'Presto' Director speaks

Audio interview with Doug Sweetland:
                          http://www.cartoonbrew.com/animators...irector-speaks

Comment

Best short yet.
                            -Jack :geek:
                            Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

Comment

Presto! Little Golden book

availabe at:
                              Amazon.com: Presto! (Little Golden Book): RH Disney: Books

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X