X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spammer (or Suspicious) New Users - Reporting

"Keep Your MiceChat Clean"...

Just on a hunch I started checking out the New Users Today link.

The first two listings set off my "Idiot Radar" with a very strong Ping, they have "Alphabet Soup" names - think qwertyuiop or antoin_shrdlu - same thing but more obscure, it's running your finger down the column on a Linotype and the _underline_ is a <space> matrice. So I started checking them out.

And the second one (ankkaygral) and fifth one (linockahaurj) posted obvious Russian (or something Cyrillic...) Spam in their Album titles, with a very explicit URL, but no pictures.

There's no "Report" button on the "Profile" or the "albums" pages... Yet?

And you *might* want to log and monitor what the new users do in their first few actions, or set them to "First Post Moderated" - that will catch a lot of that stuff cold.

Or add a Captcha or ReCaptcha to screen out the Bots, or a mandatory "return e-mail" ID check... There are ways. Looks like you might have to step it up a notch.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

Re: Spammer (or Suspicious) New Users - Reporting

Originally posted by Bruce Bergman View Post
    Or add a Captcha or ReCaptcha to screen out the Bots, or a mandatory "return e-mail" ID check... There are ways.
    We do both of these. The problem is, is that they just get too tricky.

Thanks for the heads up though!
    -Monorail Man

Comment

Originally posted by Monorail Man View Post
      We do both of these. The problem is, is that they just get too tricky.

Thanks for the heads up though!
      Well, if you'll notice I haven't had to sign up for a new account here in a while...

If you can come up with a solution before "the other little project" is done, might be a really good idea. Give them any opening at all, and that kind of stuff metastasizes.

EVERYONE ELSE: Until they make changes and add a formal reporting system, if you see something suspicious going on this is as good a place as any to say something about it. Include usernames and forums or thread titles, so the Admins can get out their Clue Bats and go hunting.

--<< Bruce >>--

Comment

Or even send a PM to the mods. We catch some of them, but help is always appreciated.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Originally posted by AGhostFromThePast
        all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

Comment

Been doing this for a while, when it was just "Welcome our newest member...."
          It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

Comment

Go check out user linockavxurv - when they make their Custom User Title "sock puppet" you have to wonder...

Last I checked, that was against the AUP.

Comment

Just use the report post button or send a PM

Spammers use human posters too (they farm out recapcha and other things) so you can't beat them as long as your system is like other people's.

There is all kinds of human powered spam flavors you see...

- The lead-in... one spammer posts a legit looking question.. while another account comes along a day later and posts an 'answer' that includes linking to some site
              - The follow-up... a spammer finds a like looking thread and posts a follow-up about their site/product. Most often the tip off is the new poster resurrecting a long dead thread
              - The signature bot. Since vb sites limit new posters from posting URLs in their posts.. the spammers put the URLs in their signatures.. and then post what looks like a harmless post (usually human..) in a thread. Relying on their URL just being seen in the signature..
              - The 'old school spammer'... they just post new threads pushing their crap (usually just totally automated)

It's difficult to filter them before they post without risking too much collateral damage. Many spammers now create the accounts long in advance, and the account sits idle until used later... the 'sleeper cell'. I think this is a combination of the bulk farming out they do (fill the queue of potential accounts ahead of time..) and the notion of letting accounts 'age' so they get past new user limits imposed on many sites.

Really the strongest link is still usually the wierd source IPs. Like lately all of ours have been from Indonesia. The source IP along with pretty much a guaranteed yahoo or hotmail address are usually the final verification.

You can't ban yahoo or hotmail... and the spammers know it
              Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
              Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Originally posted by sleepyjeff
              Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
              Working...
              X