Announcement

Collapse
1 of 3 < >

MiceChat Knott's Scary Farm Event

Tickets for MiceChat's annual Knott's Scary Farm meetup are now on sale. Event info can be found here - scaryfarm2017.eventzilla.net
2 of 3 < >

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge

The Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge has been opened. You can find it in the Lounges section.

All MiceChat rules still apply.
3 of 3 < >

Registrations

All new user registrations require email verification. Please make sure that micechat.com is not blocked by your SPAM filter. Approvals are done at least once per day, but no approval will be given for accounts that have not verified their email address. No account created using anonymous services will be approved. These include proxies, VPN's, and Tor exit nodes. IP address reputations are also checked. Any IP address with questionable reputation will be banned and the registration denied.
See more
See less

Keeping MiceChat the Happiest Place in Cyberspace - "Helpful Posters Reputation"

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keeping MiceChat the Happiest Place in Cyberspace - "Helpful Posters Reputation"

Howdy MiceChatters,

We've heard you loud and clear. A few months ago, we disabled our reputation system due to some concerns about its abuse. However, that has led to an uptick in rule breaking and hostility on the boards. As a result, many of you have written us asking if we could restore the system or create a similar system to ensure civility in our discussions. We have spent months tinkering with the reputation system and have tested several new methodologies. We are pleased to announced that our new "Helpful Posters Reputation" is now live with some important changes and safeguards.

The new system is designed to allow you to mark a post as "Helpful" or "Unhelpful". This is not an "I Agree" or "I Disagree" system. The intention is for you to reward those who have gone above and beyond to create good content for the site or to help identify folks who derails discussions, create hostility or in any other way violate our rules and make it difficult for others to post.

If a member gets enough (greater than 10) "Unhelpful" votes, they will automatically end up in the Litterbox and unable to post on the main boards. This puts the power of user moderation into the hands of the MiceChatters themselves. As a safeguard, once a user ends up in the Litterbox, the moderators will review their situation to see if this status is fair or unfair. If the user should not have been punished for his or her comments, their reputation points will be restored and those who voted him/her into the Litter Box will no longer be able to use the reputation system.

Likewise, if a user is trolling the boards or in any other way violating our rules and they are given positive reputation for those comments, those who gave the positive reputation will also be removed from the reputation voting system.

We strongly encourage you to use the reputation system, but to use it fairly. Please keep in mind that MiceChat encourages opinions from every point of view. Please do not mark a user "Unhelpful" simply because you disagree with him/her even if you disagree strongly. However, personal attacks or hostility of any kind should result in every MiceChatter reaching for the "Unhelpful" button to help protect the site and keep the conversation friendly.

It is everyone's responsibility to help keep MiceChat the Happiest Place In Cyberspace!

For full details on the new system, see our FAQ: Helpful Posts Reputation

Updated: Thanks to your feedback, we've tweaked some values and permissions. For more information, see this post.

Thank you for your help and support!

-Monorail Man, Dustysage, MickeyMaxx, Villians Fan & The MiceChat Crew
    Last edited by TestUser; 05-30-2011, 02:04 AM.
    -Monorail Man

Re: Keeping MiceChat the Happiest Place in Cyberspace - &quot;Helpful Posters Reputation&quot;

I am glad that reputation is back. I guess it will take me a while to get comfortable with using it again. I was always a little squeamish in the past to give a person negative comments. I equated that with "snitching". I do feel that people that are helpful should be rewarded in some way. It is also equally important to let people know when they are breaking the rules of this site.

I immediately noticed that I am now an "unknown MiceChatter", and I look forward to seeing my title change to being a "helpful MiceChatter". MiceChat after all is here for all of us to learn, and share our Disney interests. In the process we should be obeying the rules of this site, and treating each other with respect.

I have always admired the way the administrators have given us our say around here.
    BarbaraAnn

Comment

Re: Keeping MiceChat the Happiest Place in Cyberspace - &quot;Helpful Posters Reputation&quot;

I hope there are plans to let people see the posts that are marked. A feedback system doesn't work if there is no actual feedback loop

I saw a hint of this in the profile the other day, but don't see any now. Please please please setup the template so people see what posts get marked up/down! Don't need to see the user - just the posts!

Comment

Originally posted by flynnibus View Post
        I hope there are plans to let people see the posts that are marked. A feedback system doesn't work if there is no actual feedback loop

I saw a hint of this in the profile the other day, but don't see any now. Please please please setup the template so people see what posts get marked up/down! Don't need to see the user - just the posts!
        Agreed.

Comment

ooo - I now see positive posts show up. Maybe a mod can demostrate a negative post for testing-only purposes.

Looks good so far in what I see MM!

Comment

Originally posted by flynnibus View Post

Originally posted by Retrocool View Post
            Agreed.
            As you saw, Flynn, positive posts are displayed to you, along with the comments from the person giving you positive rep. Only Mods will be able to view negative rep, which is displayed to us in an identical way, save with a red mark, instead of green. As before, members are encouraged to write any Moderator to inquire about concerns regarding their specific reputation. If you find (or even suspect) that you have lost points, write us. The Mod team is the fail-safe of the system. We'll review the rep that got you where you are, correct any inappropriately given points, and where we find abuses, we'll have a discussion with members who may be attempting to work the system.
            "Not Carnegie, Vanderbilt, and Astor together could have
            raised money enough to buy a quarter share in my little dog."

� Ernest Thompson Seton

Comment

I like this. There have been a lot of helpful people during the rally chat that I would have liked to let them know they were helping out a ton of new people. Hope it works!!

Comment

Very good system, and thank you for tweaking and implementing it
                when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

Comment

..so why does my status say "unknown" ? But yesterday i had a green "+" sign

Comment

Originally posted by Poisonedapples View Post
                    With the announcement this morning, the system was reset.
                    -Monorail Man

Comment

Originally posted by Poisonedapples View Post

May I suggest that you go back to the very first post in this thread, and scroll down to the bottom of that post. There is a link to the FAQ about reputation. If you read that, it explains, and goes into detail about the different titles, and when they change.

That green plus sign, was used in the past. I like the new titles much better.

There is also a link at the top of the page to FAQ. Under there you can read all about reputation as well.
                      BarbaraAnn

Comment

Oh goodie the high school democracy system is back! Let's play more popularity games....

Seriously, this system seems like complete over kill for the amount of staff MiceChat has. Let the moderators, moderate.

Comment

Originally posted by ICe101 View Post
                          Oh goodie the high school democracy system is back! Let's play more popularity games....

Seriously, this system seems like complete over kill for the amount of staff MiceChat has. Let the moderators, moderate.
                          At any given time we have one moderator active online - if we are lucky (it is a HUGE time commitment and a lot of work) - and they rarely spot the spammers and problems as they are occurring. Since the old rep system was removed, the level of hostility and rule breaking on the boards really increased and resulted in many folks feeling like they'd be attacked for posting even the simplest comments. That isn't the MiceChat spirit. Since it is clear that we need a better form of moderation, we've brought back a modified reputation system with moderator oversight. Now we can use the eyes of every member of the site to help keep the board friendly and will remove folks from the system who abuse it.

This should be a positive and not a negative. MiceChat isn't one of those boards which allows people to be nasty just for the sake of being nasty. There are lots of places out there on the Internet where that is OK (and some where that is the only way to fit in), but that has never been OK here. You all agree to play nice when you register here, so this reputation system shouldn't be anything worth being upset about.

We launched with a Reputation system and our site was structured around the community policing itself. We are bringing that back.

Thank you for helping keep MiceChat a safe and friendly place for everyone to have a good time.
                          MiceChat 101: Be NICE! If you don't play well with others, you are in the wrong sandbox.

Find us on Facebook: .

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,
                          Save

Comment

Hhmm, I have not been here as long as many of you have, but I love this site (me being a Disney Fan and all ). Anyways, I like this new system
                            http://www.facebook.com/#!/michael.ebba

Comment

I have been here a long time, and as I have said before, I am glad that the reputation system is back. There are always a few rotten apples in the bunch. Or a bully, who wants to push people around, or intimidate others. The new system gives, us, the members just enough power to stand up to the negative stuff that some people try and dish out. It also lets us commend those who abide by the rules, and treat other members with respect. The ones that are helpful to their other members. I love the fact that it is called helpful.

The moderators, and administrators do a wonderful job around here, and I for one am glad that they have asked us, the members of MiceChat to help them. It makes MiceChat our site, and not just the site for a select few.
                              BarbaraAnn

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X