This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reporting Spam

Hardly a day goes by when I don't find at least one spam thread that has the words "Watch _____ online" that links to who knows where. Perhaps the links are malicious websites that contain malware. They are pretty easy to find, as:

The subject lines rarely match the forum they are posted in
    The forum is one that is less visited
    There are no replies
    The poster is a new member, and all the threads posted by that member are spam.

I dutifully report these threads as spam, but if I find more than one at a time by the same poster, I only report one, as there is a waiting period imposed between sending reports. Eventually, a moderator removes the spam threads reported.

I wonder if there isn't a more efficient way to deal with these threads or prevent them from being posted in the first place. These threads "live" for hours until they are reported and deleted. What's taking so long?
    Have bicycle, will ride. Finished 2012 with 10,089 miles, 683 hours, and 482,000 feet of elevation gain.
    2013: 201 rides, 8171 miles, 544 hours, 480K feet.
    2014 so far: 7846 miles, 451,000 feet
    sigpic

Re: Reporting Spam

I mark "1 of 4 Spam by this user" and so forth.

But I thought I was the only one reporting them!

Comment

I report them, too. In my mind I am sure the mods are rolling their eyes every time they see my name come up. "Here she goes again..."
      sigpic
      “That's the way a lot of things happen... You think one person did something
      but he was just the one to put the color on it." – Ken Anderson
      ​I'm blogging here again!

Comment

I flag the users as "encouraging illegal behavior" *shrug*
        Boggard LIEEEEF!

Comment

Click on NEW POSTS right now and there's a few new ones

Comment

Originally posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
            I mark "1 of 4 Spam by this user" and so forth.

But I thought I was the only one reporting them!
            Nice to know I am not alone.
            Have bicycle, will ride. Finished 2012 with 10,089 miles, 683 hours, and 482,000 feet of elevation gain.
            2013: 201 rides, 8171 miles, 544 hours, 480K feet.
            2014 so far: 7846 miles, 451,000 feet
            sigpic

Comment

I report 'em too, nearly every day.

If a spammer has made multiple posts, you only need report one of his posts -- the mods are able to simultaneously zap all posts made by an individual spammer.

To avoid the "Wait 60 Seconds" thing when reporting multiple spammers, I report the first one I see, and in that report include links to the other spammers. (And again if any of those spammers have made multiple posts, we only need to provide a link to one of their posts.)

Like Trekkie Dad says, they're easy to spot -- their names and post titles jump out at you with just a glance at the forum index.

...But wait...

...what's this...?

The scene: A cafe. All the tables but one are occupied by Vikings wearing horned helmets. A man and his wife enter.

Man: You sit here, dear.

Wife: All right.

Man: Morning!

Waitress: Morning!

Man: Well, what've you got?

Waitress: Well, there's egg and bacon; egg sausage and bacon; egg and spam; egg bacon and spam; egg bacon sausage and spam; spam bacon sausage and spam; spam egg spam spam bacon and spam; spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam...

Vikings (singing): Spam spam spam spam...

Waitress: ...spam spam spam egg and spam; spam spam spam spam spam spam baked beans spam spam spam...

Vikings (singing): Spam! Lovely spam! Lovely spam!

Waitress: ...or Lobster Thermidor a Crevette with a mornay sauce served in a Provencale manner with shallots and aubergines garnished with truffle pate, brandy and with a fried egg on top and spam.

Wife: Have you got anything without spam?

Waitress: Well, there's spam egg sausage and spam, that's not got much spam in it.

Wife: I don't want ANY spam!

Man: Why can't she have egg bacon spam and sausage?

Wife: THAT'S got spam in it!

Man: Hasn't got as much spam in it as spam egg sausage and spam, has it?

Vikings (singing): Spam spam spam spam... (Crescendo through next few lines...)

Wife: Could you do the egg bacon spam and sausage without the spam then?

Waitress: Urgghh!

Wife: What do you mean 'Urgghh'? I don't like spam!

Vikings (singing): Lovely spam! Wonderful spam!

Waitress: Shut up!

Vikings (singing): Lovely spam! Wonderful spam!

Waitress: Shut up! (Vikings stop) Bloody Vikings! You can't have egg bacon spam and sausage without the spam.

Wife: I don't like spam!

Man: Sshh, dear, don't cause a fuss. I'll have your spam. I love it. I'm having spam spam spam spam spam spam spam beaked beans spam spam spam and spam!

Vikings (singing): Spam spam spam spam. Lovely spam! Wonderful spam!

Waitress: Shut up!! Baked beans are off.

Man: Well could I have her spam instead of the baked beans then?

Waitress: You mean spam spam spam spam spam spam... (but it is too late and the Vikings drown her words)

Vikings: (Singing elaborately...) Spam spam spam spam. Lovely spam! Wonderful spam! Spam spa-a-a-a-a-am spam spa-a-a-a-a-am spam. Lovely spam! Lovely spam! Lovely spam! Lovely spam! Lovely spam! Spam spam spam spam!
              Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 11-18-2013, 03:24 PM.
              "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
              Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
              imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Comment

:bow: Well played, Wiggins... well played.
                sigpic
                “That's the way a lot of things happen... You think one person did something
                but he was just the one to put the color on it." – Ken Anderson
                ​I'm blogging here again!

Comment

"Not Carnegie, Vanderbilt, and Astor together could have
                  raised money enough to buy a quarter share in my little dog."

� Ernest Thompson Seton

Comment

Perhaps we need to build a better mouse trap?
                    Be Cool Stay in School!
                    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

Comment

As an administrator, the amount of spam thrown at sites like ours is huge. We have lots of "industry standard" tools working away diligently to ensure that most of it doesn't make it to the site. Even though there are some clear patterns to the spam at the human level and we are constantly tweaking the settings to try and catch this, the truth of the matter is that spam is a million or even billion dollar industry that ensures it continually evolves.

Remember, all of the Moderators and Administrators here at MiceChat are volunteers. We do our very best to make the site the absolute best it can be, and the reports we get are all part of that. We sincerely thank you all for taking the time to make our job a bit easier and faster so we can focus on the things that really matter like content and fostering good discussion.

Comment

Psst. Anybody wanna buy some sunglasses?
                        Fight On!:sc: Beat the Red Wolves!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

[None]
                        The brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want it badly enough - Randy Pausch

Comment

Only if sold from a genuine trench coat.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X