Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do we have to wait between searches?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do we have to wait between searches?

The title of this thread is pretty much it.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

Re: Why do we have to wait between searches?

I think it's a memory "thing".

Comment

Exactly. Every time you do a search (even a 'New Posts' search, it crawls through the entire database). Quite an intensive process (especially since most of the community uses New Posts).
      -Monorail Man

Comment

Actually now that you bring it up I cant seem to get it to work at all tonight! Everytime I click "new posts" I get the messgae that I must wait 25 more seconds, even though I haven't clicked on the new posts like in a long time! I'm guessing MM is working on the site or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Olympicnut View Post
          I'm guessing MM is working on the site or something.
          I am. Specifically, I am setting up a new way to exclude certain forums from the New Posts page. You can see the new interface in your User CP, under 'Edit Options', and scroll all the way down to the bottom.
          -Monorail Man

Comment

So then, is the restriction just a way to keep bandwidth costs down? I'm not complaining or anything... I just wanted to gain some knowledge.
            "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."

Comment

SWEET!!! This is a feature Ive been DYING to have :yea: Thanks MM!!!

Comment

Is this the problem I PM'd you about, MM? Also getting "this page doesn't exist" or whatever after submitting replies and that.

--Barry
                God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Radiobarry View Post
                  Is this the problem I PM'd you about, MM? Also getting "this page doesn't exist" or whatever after submitting replies and that.
                  This should have been fixed. Mainly, there is a 25 second delay, so the SQL server isn't hammered with requests. It's very easy to set up a script that constantly refreshes a search page, causing the server to overload.
                  -Monorail Man

Comment

OK... now you're saying things like SQL so I know I'm out of my depth!

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X