This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Universal Studios Ad Banner...

I don't know if the Universal Studios/Southern California ad banner at the top of MiceChat is done randomly by a computer, or if there's a way to maybe not make it come up as much. The reason I'm writing is because ever since the U.S. ad showed up on MiceChat it makes my computer and MiceChat lag pretty badly. I don't have any issues when I go onto other sites that have ad banners, just this site with the Universal one. I'm hoping there's a way to either change it out for another one or lessen the freqent times it comes up. To be honest it's made me not want to come to MiceChat as much.

Thanks for listening!

...Joe...

Re: Universal Studios Ad Banner...

yeah, me too.
    VISIT my sketchblog: M54

Comment

Use Firefox browser, with the Flashblock add-on installed, and you will never see it or any stupid Flash ads ever again. It has saved my sanity, especially on eBay. No more dancing shadows/tattoo parlor mortgage ads for me!

ed: Here's links to them, if you want to try it out. Trust me, it makes for a much better Internet.

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/433/

ed redux: Modify your Windows 'hosts' file, and you won't see 99% of online ads. Here's a page that tells how, with a simple download to do it:

www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

mod note* if this reply fits better in the tech thread, please feel free to move.
      Last edited by Sosai X; 01-18-2007, 11:13 PM.

Comment

I've had no other reports of the Flash banner lagging their MC experience. Confirm you have Flash 9, and that your flash install hasn't been altered in anyway.

Just a reminder, it's those "stupid Flash ads" that help keep MiceChat on the net. Just something to consider when you pull out your favorite ad-blocker.

Every time you block an ad, a little part of Dusty and I die.
        -Monorail Man

Comment

it could be your connection speed...

and the fact your getting what 2 flash banners loading at one time. (i see a slight increase in loading time on my end...)

Comment

Originally posted by Monorail Man View Post
            As long as its a little part.
            Follow me on Twitter: @matthamand

Comment

So when the SoCal City Pass ad first started showing up, it was fine, but lately it's been killing me to surf MC. Myabe it's the loading of the two flash ads, but it's driving me crazy (and I really don't want to have to block ads, but if this keeps up, I'm going to have to)
              "Tonight I wash my hands of you
              You set the bar I could not live up to
              Tonight the light is breaking through
              So thank you very little and send me postcards from hell"
              Zebrahead

Comment

Just a reminder, it's those "stupid Flash ads" that help keep MiceChat on the net. Just something to consider when you pull out your favorite ad-blocker.

It's not that I'm calling these ads "stupid Flash ads" at all. I totally agree that if it weren't for these ads MiceChat would cease to exist. The only thing I'm saying is that this one in particular, the SoCal pass ad, has started to make my connection and browsing of MiceChat slow as a slug. I'm just glad that it isn't just my computer.

...Joe...

Comment

thats a very good question.
                  I know that some message boards can control which ads are shown - but I think that's because they solicit those ads.
                  if the Universal ads are Google ads (like the text ones) then we're stuck with them, I'd think, until they decide to swap them out. Because those just get fed based on keywords and such.
                  Good morning, son
                  In twenty years from now
                  Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
                  And I can tell you 'bout today
                  And how I picked you up and everything changed
                  It was pain
                  Sunny days and rain
                  I knew you'd feel the same things...

sigpic

Comment

Do you have problems on other flash sites? Have you tried playing with adobe's own flash site?

I see no difference what so ever with what banners are up. If it slows you down even after its loaded.. then the problem is lack of memory on your computer or maybe conflicts with other stuff on your computer. Do you have lots of various toolbars loaded as well?

flash should be nearly transparent on most machines.

Get IE7 or Firefox2.. and never install any of those junk toolbars (even ones like Google/Yahoo)

Comment

Nope, every other Flash site I go to works fine for me. Also, I have no extra toolbars added (i.e. Google, Yahoo!, etc.) It's just this particular ad that slows my computer down. I guess my visits to MiceChat will just have to be low until it goes away. I really have no other choice.

...Joe...

Comment

Have you tried closing the frame for the MiceChat 2 Year Anniversary Banner? Click the little above it. That will cause it not to render on the page. Good to note that this banner will be gone on Sunday, so that may help your browsing speed on the home page.

Unfortunately, the Google Terms Of Service prevent us from explaining why we are keeping that banner around. I really wish I could explain why, but I can't put our status or reputation in jeopardy with our advertisers or Google themselves. My only official advice is to Uninstall the Flash Player.
                        -Monorail Man

Comment

Originally posted by Sosai X View Post
                          Use Firefox browser, with the Flashblock add-on installed, and you will never see it or any stupid Flash ads ever again. It has saved my sanity, especially on eBay. No more dancing shadows/tattoo parlor mortgage ads for me!

ed: Here's links to them, if you want to try it out. Trust me, it makes for a much better Internet.

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/433/

ed redux: Modify your Windows 'hosts' file, and you won't see 99% of online ads. Here's a page that tells how, with a simple download to do it:

www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

mod note* if this reply fits better in the tech thread, please feel free to move.
                          :thumbup:

Originally posted by flynnibus View Post
                          Get IE7 or Firefox2.. and never install any of those junk toolbars (even ones like Google/Yahoo)
                          What about the MC one?
                          Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

Comment

Originally posted by justjohn View Post
                            What about the MC one?
                            A MC toolbar? Didn't know there was one.. and if there was, I wouldn't recommand installing it either.

Comment

I don't know if the City Pass ad is finally gone, but it hasn't popped up anymore for me. And the new tax ad doesn't slow my computer up one bit. It was just that darn SoCal City Pass one that messed things up. WooHoo! I can do MiceChat to the fullest again! LOL

...Joe...

PS...Thanks for letting me rant about this. I know it's trivial, but I just wanted to get it out. LOL

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X