Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vote It Up/Vote it Down

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #21
    Re: Vote It Up/Vote it Down

    Originally posted by Monorail Man View Post
    Do you have any adblock softare installed? That can prevent the voting icons from appearing. As always, when clearing your cache and cookies:

    1. Clear them either with the browser closed, or not on a MiceChat page.
    2. Clear Cache, then Cookies.
    3. After logging in, check the thread.

    If this doesn't work, I'll PM you and ask for some more details.

    Thanks!
    ad blocking is off, cache and cookies ahve been cleared, I have even restarted my computer and I don;t see them. When the page first comes up there are two square boxes with red dots inside, then the disappear and all I see is the number.I'm not able to click the boxes.

    In explore there are two boxes, no picture, just empty boxes, but hey do allow me to clock on them. I gate explorer though and never use it on this computer.

    so, I can't see them still in firefox.

    Comment


    • #22
      Re: Vote It Up/Vote it Down

      I figured one thing out. If i use the color option bckgrounds I do not see hands, but switching to the default has brought the hands up and I can click them. They are working. So, is there a reason they do not work with red or green backgrounds? (Those are the only two I tried. )

      Comment


      • #23
        Re: Vote It Up/Vote it Down

        Don't we sort of have a 'ratings system' already in place? I mean, the ones that are on the front page are usually the top rated, because they are the ones most frequently viewed - just my thought.

        Not sure I like the ratings idea, as we sort of already have one in place.

        Comment


        • #24
          Re: Vote It Up/Vote it Down

          SCUBAbe, when I switched to default view and then back to Green, the hands suddenly appeared (Firefox 2.0, WinXP).
          Current hat total: 100 of 100 - completed!

          Duckland
          : Stroll through downtown Duckburg, making sure to tour Scrooge's Money Bin, then cross the Audubon Bay Bridge to St. Canard. Visit Liquidator's Splash Pool, and don't forget a stop by Bushroot Gardens!

          Comment


          • #25
            Re: Vote It Up/Vote it Down

            Originally posted by EmeralineDragon View Post
            SCUBAbe, when I switched to default view and then back to Green, the hands suddenly appeared (Firefox 2.0, WinXP).
            awe, that worked. Thank you.

            Comment


            • #26
              Re: Vote It Up/Vote it Down

              Now I see them everywhere! I don't know what you did Hastin but thank you for that vodoo that you do so well!!!




              Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!


              Originally posted by AGhostFromThePast
              all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

              Comment


              • #27
                Re: Vote It Up/Vote it Down

                working for me too in FF, with adBlock on, fwiw (it shouldn't matter). Let the rating begin


                Comment


                • #28
                  Re: Vote It Up/Vote it Down

                  Some advice from my experience in running ratings systems on other boards:

                  If possible take away the ability to vote something down, only let people add a positive vote to something. We're already seeing it on the boards, people are using the vote down feature to "disagree with questions". This kind of thing discourages discussion, it's easier to press a button than to state your opinion. This is bad for a discussion forum. A question should be answered not voted on.

                  Also if this is meant to drive a public content page, hide the ratings from public view. Voting on a blind headed system discourages "me too" votes and gets a more honest result. Also seeing your thread in the red for no good reason, other than you're proposing a point of view that is unpopular with some people, will upset some posters and damage free discussion of points of interest.

                  Encourage users to click on threads that they think are important, that they enjoy or other criteria, but keep the workings hidden to avoid skewed results.
                  Disney FAQ#275: What is DCA?
                  DCA stands for Disney Construction Area. All the Cast Members are themed with hard hats and steel toed boots.

                  Comment


                  • #29
                    Re: Vote It Up/Vote it Down

                    double post

                    Comment


                    • #30
                      Re: Vote It Up/Vote it Down

                      Originally posted by monotonehell View Post
                      Some advice from my experience in running ratings systems on other boards:

                      If possible take away the ability to vote something down, only let people add a positive vote to something. We're already seeing it on the boards, people are using the vote down feature to "disagree with questions". This kind of thing discourages discussion, it's easier to press a button than to state your opinion. This is bad for a discussion forum. A question should be answered not voted on.

                      Also if this is meant to drive a public content page, hide the ratings from public view. Voting on a blind headed system discourages "me too" votes and gets a more honest result. Also seeing your thread in the red for no good reason, other than you're proposing a point of view that is unpopular with some people, will upset some posters and damage free discussion of points of interest.

                      Encourage users to click on threads that they think are important, that they enjoy or other criteria, but keep the workings hidden to avoid skewed results.
                      I agree with everything this post said. and we did have a good system before. I think seeing the big red box is hurtful to see on ones thread. It brings imediate attention to that thread ,sort of like look this post really sucks, I have got to look to see what its all about. I also feel bad for the one who made the thread. gee talk about discouraging him from making another thread.

                      Comment


                      • #31
                        Re: Vote It Up/Vote it Down

                        Originally posted by monotonehell View Post
                        If possible take away the ability to vote something down, only let people add a positive vote to something. We're already seeing it on the boards, people are using the vote down feature to "disagree with questions". This kind of thing discourages discussion, it's easier to press a button than to state your opinion. This is bad for a discussion forum. A question should be answered not voted on.
                        This makes a LOT of sense. :thumbup:


                        Also, is there or will there be any way to do a quick search (like the "new posts" button) to view the top rated threads?

                        Comment


                        • #32
                          Re: Vote It Up/Vote it Down

                          Originally posted by Hakuna Makarla View Post
                          I agree with everything this post said. and we did have a good system before. I think seeing the big red box is hurtful to see on ones thread. It brings imediate attention to that thread ,sort of like look this post really sucks, I have got to look to see what its all about. I also feel bad for the one who made the thread. gee talk about discouraging him from making another thread.
                          No more hurtful really than seeing your thread with a single star beside it really. The only difference it that with the star rating system it couldn't go into negative range.




                          Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!


                          Originally posted by AGhostFromThePast
                          all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

                          Comment


                          • #33
                            Re: Vote It Up/Vote it Down

                            Originally posted by Hakuna Makarla View Post
                            I think seeing the big red box is hurtful to see on ones thread. It brings imediate attention to that thread ,sort of like look this post really sucks, I have got to look to see what its all about. I also feel bad for the one who made the thread. gee talk about discouraging him from making another thread.
                            Or it's a good indicator that you're posting stuff that doesn't need to be posted. It shouldn't be hurtful, as it's just a rating of the thread, not a reflection on the individual themselves. And even if someone does feel hurt, really, so what? Where does it say in life that nobody can ever have their feelings hurt? Perhaps that situation would present a useful lesson to the individual about life and one's need to be secure enough in themselves that they aren't hurt by other's trivial opinions.

                            Comment


                            • #34
                              Re: Vote It Up/Vote it Down

                              Originally posted by Jazzman View Post
                              Or it's a good indicator that you're posting stuff that doesn't need to be posted. It shouldn't be hurtful, as it's just a rating of the thread, not a reflection on the individual themselves. And even if someone does feel hurt, really, so what? Where does it say in life that nobody can ever have their feelings hurt? Perhaps that situation would present a useful lesson to the individual about life and one's need to be secure enough in themselves that they aren't hurt by other's trivial opinions.
                              Yeah, that's the real purpose of Micechat.

                              Comment


                              • #35
                                Re: Vote It Up/Vote it Down

                                Originally posted by TikiRoomLiz View Post
                                MM and Dusty, I just have to say that you two are doing a great job of keeping this site up to date and easier to navigate.
                                Hear, hear!
                                Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

                                Comment


                                • #36
                                  Re: Vote It Up/Vote it Down

                                  Personally, I find all these rating systems on the High-Schoolish side.

                                  In-crowds, In-posts ... bleah

                                  Comment


                                  • #37
                                    Re: Vote It Up/Vote it Down

                                    Originally posted by Jazzman View Post
                                    Or it's a good indicator that you're posting stuff that doesn't need to be posted.
                                    As always, MiceChat has never been about the established way of running a community. We like to experiment. Reputation was a big one, and we are still more self-moderated than other sites with reputation. We believe that this new voting system is just part of our evolution. As always, nothing is 'set in stone', and we'll adjust the system if it's needed. For now, we'll see how the voting goes. So far, there's only one thread that's been 'voted down', and I think that says alot for the new system.
                                    -Monorail Man

                                    Comment


                                    • #38
                                      Re: Vote It Up/Vote it Down

                                      Originally posted by Monorail Man View Post
                                      As always, MiceChat has never been about the established way of running a community. We like to experiment. Reputation was a big one, and we are still more self-moderated than other sites with reputation. We believe that this new voting system is just part of our evolution. As always, nothing is 'set in stone', and we'll adjust the system if it's needed. For now, we'll see how the voting goes. So far, there's only one thread that's been 'voted down', and I think that says alot for the new system.
                                      I really like this new system

                                      thanks you guys:yea:

                                      Friends for life

                                      Comment


                                      • #39
                                        Re: Vote It Up/Vote it Down

                                        Originally posted by PrincessY View Post
                                        Also, is there or will there be any way to do a quick search (like the "new posts" button) to view the top rated threads?
                                        Exactly. Once the new system gets the kinks worked out, we will be launching a new page featuing the 'Top Threads' for the week in each section (News, Parks, Lounges, Your Clubs, etc.). Then, when we launch our new home page, we'll have the 'hot threads' with the voting details.
                                        -Monorail Man

                                        Comment


                                        • #40
                                          Re: Vote It Up/Vote it Down

                                          Originally posted by JeffYardDog View Post
                                          Personally, I find all these rating systems on the High-Schoolish side.

                                          In-crowds, In-posts ... bleah
                                          That isn't the purpose of the rating system at all. It is a feature that we intend to use to create a real time list of the current hot threads - as voted on by our members.

                                          When casual visitors come to MiceChat there may be 100 or more threads that have been posted in within the last few minutes. That makes it pretty darn hard to find the really interesting thread among all the chit chat.

                                          We will certainly be tweaking the system in the coming days (perhaps removing the thumbs down or not using the system in certain forums). But for the most part, the thumbs up/down is not about "Popularity" it is about how useful a thread is.

                                          You'll see the same approach on many large sites - like digg.com - where there are too many posts to determine what to read if you have only a short amount of time.

                                          Hopefully, people will give this system a chance, as we see it as an important step in helping to make MiceChat more usable for those who do not live on the site like many of our hard-core users do.

                                          We would simply like to remind all users that voting is not about agreeing or disagreeing. It is about how useful or newsworthy a thread is. Not all threads will move you to vote at all (that is a good thing)


                                          MiceChat 101: Be NICE! If you don't play well with others, you are in the wrong sandbox.

                                          Find us on Facebook: .

                                          How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,
                                          Save

                                          Comment

                                          Get Away Today Footer

                                          Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X