X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Vote It Up/Vote it Down

Originally posted by Monorail Man View Post
    This is part of our new thread rating system. Soon, this system will enable a custom page of our top threads every day/week/and month.
    So far it looks like the 'top' threads are Fart-ation and something about drunk llamas. That custom page of yours ought to be a hoot.
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

-Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Moonliner View Post
      So far it looks like the 'top' threads are Fart-ation and something about drunk llamas. That custom page of yours ought to be a hoot.
      yeah, the fund and games threads should probably not have voting on them.

Comment

There are a few Random Threads that people spend an awful lot of time posting in. I actually think that what I have seen on the "Home" page is a good representation of MiceChat as I myself know it. I don't understand why the Fun and Games Lounge should be excluded. It has become an integral part of MiceChat. I have made many friends there. I understand that MiceChat was founded on the "love of Disney. The Parks are a good part of that. However, the Fun and Games Lounge is a great place to chat, laugh, and yes we even talk about our Disney vacations in there. I can see how a new member would click on one of those threads, and come to the realization of what a fun place MiceChat is.
        BarbaraAnn

Comment

Originally posted by SCUBAbe View Post
          yeah, the fund and games threads should probably not have voting on them.
          Or perhaps separate the so-called "Fun and Games" section from the rest of the lounges. "Fun and Games" is just a bunch of fluff and a waste of time IMHO (not that we are always need to discuss world events or other serious matters ). It would just be nice to see discussion of real things versus fluff and aimless rambling, and that may be lost in the voting.

Comment

Everyone should be able to decide just how they want to spend their time here at MiceChat. I really applaud the "equality" of the way the forums have been divided as of late. When a new person sees the sampling of the threads being offered, they can best decide for themselves just what suits them, and what doesn't. We don't all head for the same place when we log on here.
            BarbaraAnn

Comment

I wouldn't suggest eliminating Fun and Games from the voting, since a lot of other people enjoy that section. But separating it would be good enough.

Comment

While I think it's silly that you can only "vote up" a thread, unfortunately voting negatively was only used to ridicule Prag's threads (and hence his ideas). I wasn't sure before, but now I'm definitely going to ignore this feature.

Comment

Folks - Once again I find myself asking for a little patience. Making statements that you are going to ignore a feature that we have already explained that we need, isn't helpful to the folks who spent an entire weekend building new features and code for this site. We do our best to create new features which help the users navigate the site and/or enhance the site and keep it on the modern side of the forum world. Like anything else we've ever done, we keep an eye on our new features and are never afraid to make changes to make sure that they function well for our boards.

We think we've got this one the way we want it for right now. We'll keep an eye on it and if we need to make changes, we will. For now, we'd like for you to give it a chance and please take a moment to vote up the threads that we don't want others to miss.

You can see what we are using the thumbs for here: http://www.micechat.com/forums/portal.php

Thanks for your thoughts and help. But we're moving on from this conversation right now to focus on our soon to be new landing page.

MiceChat 101: Be NICE! If you don't play well with others, you are in the wrong sandbox.

Find us on Facebook: .

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,
                  Save

Comment

Originally posted by Barbaraann View Post
                    There are a few Random Threads that people spend an awful lot of time posting in. I actually think that what I have seen on the "Home" page is a good representation of MiceChat as I myself know it. I don't understand why the Fun and Games Lounge should be excluded. It has become an integral part of MiceChat. I have made many friends there. I understand that MiceChat was founded on the "love of Disney. The Parks are a good part of that. However, the Fun and Games Lounge is a great place to chat, laugh, and yes we even talk about our Disney vacations in there. I can see how a new member would click on one of those threads, and come to the realization of what a fun place MiceChat is.
                    I agree barbaraann

Friends for life

Comment

Originally posted by Dustysage View Post
                      Folks - Once again I find myself asking for a little patience.
                      Fair enough. Can I still make a comment about the new feature? I understand why you removed the negative rating but I still would like to be able to vote thumbs down on a thread as long as the thumbs up count is greater than zero.

For example, lets say a user posts a suggestion to require all women entering Disneyland to wear a hat.

Under the old system a post like that would quickly drop down into significant negative numbers and deservedly so. However with the new "up only" option, a vocal minority (with some decidedly odd views) could quickly vote such a thread up.

So despite the fact that the overwhelming majority of chatters think the thread is drivel it could still show up as a highly rated thread.
                      "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

-Mark Twain

Comment

So despite the fact that the overwhelming majority of chatters think the thread is drivel it could still show up as a highly rated thread.
                        IMO, people who post in certain threads will vote the threads up anyway to ensure they are on the new splash page. It just won't be an accurate rating, but I'll give it time.

Comment

Fair enough. Can I still make a comment about the new feature? I understand why you removed the negative rating but I still would like to be able to vote thumbs down on a thread as long as the thumbs up count is greater than zero.

For example, lets say a user posts a suggestion to require all women entering Disneyland to wear a hat.

Under the old system a post like that would quickly drop down into significant negative numbers and deservedly so. However with the new "up only" option, a vocal minority (with some decidedly odd views) could quickly vote such a thread up.

The point is not to vote whether you agree with a thread's proposition, it's whether you think that the thread is worth looking at. Whether it's interesting or not, to more than a few people.

If you have the ability to vote a thread down as well as up; threads that a majority of people think are interesting will score highly; threads that a significant minority think are interesting will gain a score but be voted back down by people disagreeing with the proposition. That's not very representative.

Only being able to vote a thread up means that both threads that are interesting but controversial will still get a look in, albeit lower in the list. Which makes for a much more interesting and inclusive portal. The alternative is a bland and uni-topical portal which doesn't give a cross-section of interests.

The point is that a thread will only get a look in if a quantity of votes are recorded. Even if that quantity is a minority, it would have to be a significant minority.

It comes back to the adage; if you haven't anything nice to say, say nothing.
                          Disney FAQ#275: What is DCA?
                          DCA stands for Disney Construction Area. All the Cast Members are themed with hard hats and steel toed boots.

Comment

Originally posted by monotonehell View Post
                            The point is not to vote whether you agree with a thread's proposition, it's whether you think that the thread is worth looking at. Whether it's interesting or not, to more than a few people.

If you have the ability to vote a thread down as well as up; threads that a majority of people think are interesting will score highly; threads that a significant minority think are interesting will gain a score but be voted back down by people disagreeing with the proposition. That's not very representative.

Only being able to vote a thread up means that both threads that are interesting but controversial will still get a look in, albeit lower in the list. Which makes for a much more interesting and inclusive portal. The alternative is a bland and uni-topical portal which doesn't give a cross-section of interests.

The point is that a thread will only get a look in if a quantity of votes are recorded. Even if that quantity is a minority, it would have to be a significant minority.

It comes back to the adage; if you haven't anything nice to say, say nothing.
                            very well said my friend

Friends for life

Comment

If you'd like to know "Why" we are using this system before you decide to ignore it, please visit our testing page for the new Front page of MiceChat:

http://www.micechat.com/forums/portal.php

While we will probably be removing the thumbs down, the voting of threads will be very important to front page page views and we'd appreciate your continuing to use it for threads that you think people shouldn't miss.

-Dusty
                              OK, I took a quick look at the testing page, and I'm not sure I like it any better than the current one. One thing bothers me--it's too wide for my computer screen. At the moment, I'd probably be inclined to bypass it and go directly to the Forums page where things are more familiar.

But that may be because I'm not particularly interested in which threads are the most popular. Still, it seems like a good idea; it just doesn't appeal to me.
                              Have bicycle, will ride. Finished 2012 with 10,089 miles, 683 hours, and 482,000 feet of elevation gain.
                              2013: 201 rides, 8171 miles, 544 hours, 480K feet.
                              2014 so far: 7846 miles, 451,000 feet
                              sigpic

Comment

I really wanted to leave the vote down as well, but we have several mean spirited people who insist in simply voting a thread down because they don't like someone - Rather than sticking to the content of the thread.

As soon as we can figure out how to limit a vote to going down to "0" we will bring the thumbs down back. (we will also be removing some people from the system who have already shown that they simply want to punish those they don't like). However, until then, we'd still like you all to vote up the threads that we don't want others to miss. Hopefully, the result will be the same either way. The most interesting threads will still receive the highest votes.

But let's not worry about this subject for now. It is way too soon for us to be overly worried about this issue. All I need is for you to help us identify the most interesting and high quality threads on the site and vote them up so our new "home" page has the best possible content on it.

So, please, for now, let's move on from this discussion and let's work a bit on the Home page which is our immediate need. There are some big traffic stories coming up and we would like to switch to pointing micechat.com to the new home page as soon as possible to handle the traffic from folks who have never been to the site before.

Thank you for your help everyone.
                                MiceChat 101: Be NICE! If you don't play well with others, you are in the wrong sandbox.

Find us on Facebook: .

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,
                                Save

Comment

I really wanted to leave the vote down as well, but we have several mean spirited people who insist in simply voting a thread down because they don't like someone - Rather than sticking to the content of the thread.
                                  And you also have the flip side of that, people voting up a thread just because they like the person who started it. Can you put limits on it like the rep system had? And I also think thread STARTERS should not be abe to "vote" on thier own thread for obvious reasons.

I would like to see the thumbs down option to return. I have not come across a thread to use it in yet, but it would be nice to see that option. Can you not set rules on it like the rep system had? Abusers would be abused type of thing...

As for the front page "highlights" I liked the hand-picked stories that went up, they were always fair and a great sample of the threads that were a "not-miss".

Comment

I think I like this system.. it seems ok to me.. just hard to get used to because we have had the other system for so long

Friends for life

Comment

I love MiceChat. I give a big thumbs up to "who cares about voting".

Comment

So, please, for now, let's move on from this discussion and let's work a bit on the Home page which is our immediate need. There are some big traffic stories coming up and we would like to switch to pointing micechat.com to the new home page as soon as possible to handle the traffic from folks who have never been to the site before.

Thank you for your help everyone.
                                        You know Dusty & Co, you can always just assume a big "OMG I LOVE YOU GUYS TOTALLY AND ALL THE HARD WORK YOU PUT INTO MICECHAT OMG IT'S THE BEST THING SINCE CHURROS!" into everything I say. I know how hard it is to make one of these things work.
                                        Disney FAQ#275: What is DCA?
                                        DCA stands for Disney Construction Area. All the Cast Members are themed with hard hats and steel toed boots.

Comment

Originally posted by monotonehell View Post
                                          You know Dusty & Co, you can always just assume a big "OMG I LOVE YOU GUYS TOTALLY AND ALL THE HARD WORK YOU PUT INTO MICECHAT OMG IT'S THE BEST THING SINCE CHURROS!" into everything I say. I know how hard it is to make one of these things work.

Ditto Mono! I hate to think we all sound like whiners, so let it be known Dusty,MM, et all: are all doing an excellent job!

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X