Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Ad Blockers

Please do not use ad blocking software when visiting MiceChat. It costs money to keep MiceChat online, and ad revenue offsets this. Thank you.
2 of 2 < >

Registration Policy

In order to eliminate SPAM, all new users must verify their email. Once the email address is verified, we make sure your IP address is not a VPN, proxy, or tor exit node. If you have tried to register and it was not approved, please send an email to administrator@micechat.com. We will try to resolve the issue and then you can try again. Thank you.
See more
See less

Forum discipline issues

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forum discipline issues

I believe this is the proper place to discuss this.

Im glad the report function is working again but I don't feel like there's still much working in improving the behavior of participants in the site, and I mean everyday regular people, not just "trouble people" or otherwise.

When you make a post post that's an issue, it gets moved to the litter box. This is fine, ands great function. But you aren't alerted that it was, you aren't told why, and therefore have nothing to learn from it, even if you're aware of it. This doesn't let people reflect or improve.

It also feels like lacking any consequence, it feels like I rarely see people get banned for a temp time, and most likely just wait for people to break a major rule to become perms banned. To me this feels like a community whose only tool for discipline is the death penalty. I'm all for giving people chances, but as mentioned earlier, there's no real way for people to even know they're causing problems or step back and realize they're engaging in slapfights.

I can say this from exeprience, I've had posts moved to the litter box and I'm not sure why. I'm not questioning that decisions as it was probably for the best but I have absolutely no way of knowing what was to learn from that action.

I guess what I'm trying to say is it feels of very little consequence, and the end result is "problem users" not even aware of what they're doing wrong, and therefore nothing changes until a major rule is violated.

Again if this is the wrong place to post this sort of thing than I'm sorry about that, the forum layout is still a bit confusing to me.

Originally posted by GameNBurger View Post
    I believe this is the proper place to discuss this.

Im glad the report function is working again but I don't feel like there's still much working in improving the behavior of participants in the site, and I mean everyday regular people, not just "trouble people" or otherwise.

When you make a post post that's an issue, it gets moved to the litter box. This is fine, ands great function. But you aren't alerted that it was, you aren't told why, and therefore have nothing to learn from it, even if you're aware of it. This doesn't let people reflect or improve.

It also feels like lacking any consequence, it feels like I rarely see people get banned for a temp time, and most likely just wait for people to break a major rule to become perms banned. To me this feels like a community whose only tool for discipline is the death penalty. I'm all for giving people chances, but as mentioned earlier, there's no real way for people to even know they're causing problems or step back and realize they're engaging in slapfights.

I can say this from exeprience, I've had posts moved to the litter box and I'm not sure why. I'm not questioning that decisions as it was probably for the best but I have absolutely no way of knowing what was to learn from that action.

I guess what I'm trying to say is it feels of very little consequence, and the end result is "problem users" not even aware of what they're doing wrong, and therefore nothing changes until a major rule is violated.

Again if this is the wrong place to post this sort of thing than I'm sorry about that, the forum layout is still a bit confusing to me.
    I appreciate your input.

Right now I am the only person moderating the forum on a regular basis. That might change at some point, but I don't know when. I can't read every post, although I do skim over them. If a post is brought to my attention I always review it. Many times there is no issue, other than the fact that the person who reported the post disagrees with what is being said. In those cases, I do nothing. If there actually is an issue, the post is moved. I don't have time to contact every person who has a post moved, but I will always respond to every message I get. If a post is moved, just ask and I will let you know why.

Often when a post is sent to the Litter Box, all the posts that reply to or reference it are also moved. This is done in an attempt to try to stop discussion that will most likely lead to conflict. It is not done because everyone did something wrong.

Moderating a forum is not something that can be done with an iron finger on the ban button. Sure, there are some lines that can never be crossed, but most of the time everything is a judgement call. I think keeping a distance is the best way to do things, and I step in only when it's absolutely necessary. I do the best I can, and there is no way I can moderate in a way that everyone will agree with. I try to stay in the middle and hope for the best.

If there are posts you want me to look at, please use the flag feature. I check those multiple times every day.

Thank you again for your input.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X