Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Positivity Thread (Moved Posts Critical of MiceChat)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Positivity Thread (Moved Posts Critical of MiceChat)

OT posts in the original thread will be moved here.

I appreciate what you’re trying to do here, but if you want to generate discussion about something positive about Disneyland then you’re probably best just starting a thread on a specific topic that you like. People tend to react to the original post, and if it’s done to show opposition to critical threads then people tend to galvanize into camps as defenders or detractors, rather than talking about their actual ideas. At least that’s been my observation here for the last few years.

Comment

Sigh.

Literally the first response derails the topic of discussion into a negative spiral.

Why couldn't you just post something positive you like about the park?

Micechat has become Disneyland's complaints box.

Might as well delete this thread,

Comment

Originally posted by TronLives View Post
        Sigh.

Literally the first response derails the topic of discussion into a negative spiral.

Why couldn't you just post something positive you like about the park?

Micechat has become Disneyland's complaints box.

Might as well delete this thread,
        Micechat keeps Disney held to account.

Comment

No, your first paragraph in your opening post in the thread did that: "...It's littered with nothing but negativity in almost every thread. Every topic somehow gets derailed into something negative about the company, the park, millenials, etc etc."

As Co Foo rightly pointed out, starting a "positivity" thread by complaining about Disney's critics doesn't encourage the tone of positivity you claim to want.

Unfortunately, the combative tone of your OP continues that of your previous posts that been flagged and Litterboxed. For a new member who has contributed so few posts, an unusually large percentage of your posts are complaints about others. A partial sampling:

As always, this forum is guaranteed to be complaining about Disney doing something wrong.... But of course people would be negative on here. Bunch of chicken littles.
          You guys are being melodramatic.
          Seems like you're going out of your way to complain about them. Complaining about that seems odd.
          Originally posted by TronLives (Litterboxed)
          What did you expect on this forum? People complain about everything here.
          Don't be THAT person. Stop being a curmudgeon.
          Wow. Extremely judge-y of you...Unfortunately some pass holders like yourself have such a sense of entitlement that is just terrible.
          Do you not understand how racist you just sounded by saying that?

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
          Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
          imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

"I didn't know the story of baby Jesus could be any better,
          until Thor told it to me."
          -
          Young girl at Disneyland's 2017 Candlelight Ceremony
          narrated by Chris Hemsworth

Comment

I'm afraid I have to agree with the other posts here. It's true that there are times when negative things are said about the parks, but it seems like we see a thread like this every week to try and combat negativity on the forums, and they get litterboxed about 100% of the time, because what they really are are transparent attempts to pooh-pooh criticism that is usually harsh but also valid a lot of the time. For every negative post, there will always be a more positive one arguing its opposite. That is good enough in my opinion.
            Warriors, Giants, Sharks, Texans fan from the Bay Area.
            Annual visitor to Disneyland ('99, '04-08, '11-present)
            So so hyphy.

Comment

Again, Micechat proves how toxic it is....

Comment

Originally posted by Findawayout View Post
                No. MiceChat is frequented by Disneyland fans, but not “fanboys” (or girls). There are those of us who love Disneyland but will not hesitate to criticize when management does something stupid, or engineers bad show. As has been said before, MiceChat seems to have a very high concentration of people who also actually know very well the history of both Disneyland and Walt Disney the man himself, to the point of practically being academic. When you have aficionados of something at that level of knowledge, you’re going to see a higher and harsher level of criticism in general, as well as see praise when things are done right.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Lagoon View Post

No. MiceChat is frequented by Disneyland fans, but not “fanboys” (or girls). There are those of us who love Disneyland but will not hesitate to criticize when management does something stupid, or engineers bad show. As has been said before, MiceChat seems to have a very high concentration of people who also actually know very well the history of both Disneyland and Walt Disney the man himself, to the point of practically being academic. When you have aficionados of something at that level of knowledge, you’re going to see a higher and harsher level of criticism in general, as well as see praise when things are done right.
                  Precisely. The much higher level of discourse that you can find here just doesn't really exist on other Disneyland boards. People who want "positivity" (whatever that means) can go to those other boards and read endless giddy trip reports, look at photos of churros and turkey legs and popcorn buckets, and in general discuss Disneyland in the most superficial of ways to their heart's content. Some of us want more, though.

Personally, I prefer discussing the history of the Park in all of its nuances; theme and what that means, story, the inspiration of the various lands and attractions and the Park's contribution to art and culture. What's negative about this?

Comment

Originally posted by Right Down Broadway View Post
                    Precisely. The much higher level of discourse that you can find here just doesn't really exist on other Disneyland boards. People who want "positivity" (whatever that means) can go to those other boards and read endless giddy trip reports, look at photos of churros and turkey legs and popcorn buckets, and in general discuss Disneyland in the most superficial of ways to their heart's content. Some of us want more, though.

Personally, I prefer discussing the history of the Park in all of its nuances; theme and what that means, story, the inspiration of the various lands and attractions and the Park's contribution to art and culture. What's negative about this?
                    Speaking of which, let me know how you enjoy the Finch book.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Lagoon View Post

Speaking of which, let me know how you enjoy the Finch book.
                      Will do. Tracking says I should get it between May 3 and 9.

Comment

Most of us are passionate Disney fans here. We are passionate to the point to hold Disney accountable when they make or announce a change we don't agree with.

Comment

I agree with some posts that tone of the OP could use improvement, but there is no need to waste a thread with a fun heart:

I love the introduction (and subsequent holiday themes) of Afternoon tea at the Disneyland hotel. It was a concept that was foriegn, but intriguing to me and it is now becoming a tradition (a good time to take a long lunch with friends). It’s also good example of an add on experience where the cost is backed by quality and service we should expect from Disney. The tea itself is lovely (Shanghai Rose for the win) and the clotted cream is the stuff of the gods.

Comment

Normally, I would ignore this, but it deserves a response.

Respectfully, your statement is merely subjective and not supported by facts. I spend plenty of time on other forums, and I routinely see members bashing each other at levels that would never be tolerated here. This goes on thread after thread, and the mods/admins do nothing. I am not being critical of those other forums; I am just stating a fact. Additionally, if a forum owner wants to allow this then they are within their right to do so. MiceChat is certainly not perfect, but we do take action when a member is clearly being abusive towards other members.

What you are really complaining about is that a forum exists in which many members are critical of Disney, and you don't like this. My suggestion is that you either learn to accept MiceChat for what it is, or please consider finding another place with a level of pixie dust that is more suited to your preferences.

Thank you.

Oh, one last thing. If you think I am being unfair, please show me any other Disney forum that has a section dedicated to criticism of that same forum. Also, please show me where you have openly criticized said forum and not been banned.

Thank you, again.

Comment

Untrue. Disney's defenders like to parrot the myth that MiceChat is primarily a gripe-fest of anti-Disney threads. But when you look at the actual numbers, the myth evaporates: An actual count of threads and posts in any month shows those critical of Disney are in the vast minority.

It's been that way since the site was founded. Month after month, year after year, non-critical posts greatly outnumber critical posts, in the same way that non-critical posters greatly outnumber critical posters.

Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 05-01-2018, 12:52 AM.

- Neil Gabler

-

Comment

I think that the critics sometimes just won't shut up. They keep coming back, and may think that if they constantly repeat their gripes, they will change people's minds. The saying "one rotten apple spoils the barrel, may apply here as well.
                                BarbaraAnn

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

An actual count of threads and posts in any month shows those critical of Disney are in the vast minority.

And are often the loudest.
                                  "Fantasy, if it's really convincing, can't become dated, for the simple reason that it represents a flight into a dimension that lies beyond the reach of time" Walt Disney

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Fan View Post
                                    And are often the loudest.
                                    There is no volume on an internet forum post.

No one complains about happy-talk posters being "too loud" or "too repetitive" or "too unfair" or "too toxic" or "spoiling the magic." From the days of Al Lutz on Usenet to the MiceChat forum today, the complaints are about posters who criticize the Disney brand.

It's understandable -- the psychological engine driving complaints about Disney's critics is that the critics are offending people's sense of brand loyalty.

Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 05-02-2018, 01:08 AM.

- Neil Gabler

-

Comment

So very true and every response after this quote just proved it. The Irony is thicker than the toxicity at this point. Almost have to laugh.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Lee View Post
                                        The Irony is thicker than the toxicity at this point. Almost have to laugh.
                                        The irony is the members who show up just to mock other members and bash the board. The laugh is on them.

- Neil Gabler

-

Comment

Working...
                                        X