Announcement

Collapse

Reminder

It is against MiceChat's rules to promote any violations of Disney's rules. Members who choose to brag about breaking Disney's rules, or who encourage others to break Disney rules, will be immediately banned. There will be no exceptions.
See more
See less

Lost MiceChatters.

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #41
    Hey everyone... It's been MANY years since I've been by here. I saw some friendly names popping up on this thread that I remember from way back when... like 10 years aga O.O Wanted to drop in and say hi

    Comment


    • #42
      It's completely different from when it first started.

      Comment


      • #43
        Originally posted by Sosai X View Post
        It's completely different from when it first started.
        Truer words were never spoken.
        BarbaraAnn

        Comment


        • #44
          Originally posted by PrncssZ View Post
          Hey everyone... It's been MANY years since I've been by here. I saw some friendly names popping up on this thread that I remember from way back when... like 10 years aga O.O Wanted to drop in and say hi
          Good to see you!
          sigpic

          This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

          Comment


          • #45
            I can only really speak for myself here, but I know I moved on because it stopped being fun. There was so much complaining and negativity dominating the threads - from ride overlays to crowd sizes, from passholders to strollers, from management to merchandise - that it felt like every conversation would devolve into blaming someone for something. This place started to feel more like Disneyland group therapy than a place to get together to share thoughts and feelings. I stopped wanting to post when I realized that no matter what position I took, I would be reduced to a stereotype instead of being respected as an individual. Every now and then I come back to see if there's something fun to participate in, and it makes me sad when I don't see it. Oh well.

            Comment


            • #46
              Originally posted by UltimateSurvivor View Post
              ...This place started to feel more like Disneyland group therapy than a place to get together to share thoughts and feelings.
              You mean "a place to get together to share only those thoughts and feelings that you are comfortable with." Given that definition of MiceChat, your mockery of the forum as "group therapy" makes perfect sense: You don't want a forum that allows the free discussion of all feelings on Disneyland, you want a forum that mirrors your feelings about Disneyland. The reality is that the more Chapek has his way with Disneyland, the more MiceChat and other fan forums, and Facebook and Twitter, will see longtime DL customers expressing feelings that are outside of your comfort zone.
              "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
              it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
              together with every variety of recreation and fun,
              designed to appeal to everyone."

              - Walt Disney

              "Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
              - Michael Eisner

              Comment


              • #47
                Originally posted by UltimateSurvivor View Post
                I can only really speak for myself here, but I know I moved on because it stopped being fun. There was so much complaining and negativity dominating the threads - from ride overlays to crowd sizes, from passholders to strollers, from management to merchandise - that it felt like every conversation would devolve into blaming someone for something. This place started to feel more like Disneyland group therapy than a place to get together to share thoughts and feelings. I stopped wanting to post when I realized that no matter what position I took, I would be reduced to a stereotype instead of being respected as an individual. Every now and then I come back to see if there's something fun to participate in, and it makes me sad when I don't see it. Oh well.
                Why are my views on the current status of the Park any less valid than yours?

                Comment


                • #48
                  Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

                  You mean "a place to get together to share only those thoughts and feelings that you are comfortable with." Given that definition of MiceChat, your mockery of the forum as "group therapy" makes perfect sense: You don't want a forum that allows the free discussion of all feelings on Disneyland, you want a forum that mirrors your feelings about Disneyland. The reality is that the more Chapek has his way with Disneyland, the more MiceChat and other fan forums, and Facebook and Twitter, will see longtime DL customers expressing feelings that are outside of your comfort zone.
                  Thank you for demonstrating my point perfectly. Rather than provide a respectful response, you dismissed me as selfish with the presumption that the only opinions I want are the ones I agree with. Then you followed it up with a statement beginning with, "The reality is..." which is you asserting your opinion as fact instead of a viewpoint open for discussion. Many, many a forums member have grown weary of attempting to converse with you when they have seen you respond this way over and over again. This is what I mean by the boards are no longer as fun as they used to be. I am not interested in participating in a forum where I know I will be condescended to for having a conflicting opinion. Way too often it's predictable down to the page of the thread.

                  Originally posted by stovk View Post

                  Why are my views on the current status of the Park any less valid than yours?
                  Why do you believe they are? I certainly never said they are. All opinions are valid and those who are sharing them deserve to be respected and not dismissed. We have the right to our opinions and should have the freedom to respectfully defend them, but given the tone that accompanies contrary opinions (on both sides), it stops being mature and respectful. Honestly, if I wanted that kind of environment, I'd hand out more on the political subreddits.

                  Comment


                  • #49
                    I often made the comment, to my closest MiceChat friends that I would hang around here, as long as it was fun to do so. Years ago, that was truer than true. Now, not so much. Almost all of those friends are long gone from here, and when I feel the need to converse with them, I can find some of them on Facebook. I guess that's just the way it is. I suppose that it's called progress. It doesn't make me any less sad though. What makes me really sad is when MiceChat is criticized for it's present state, which is very very different than the one I found in 2005. Reality is that there's no going back to that. Many have moved on. I keep my foot/toe in the door.
                    BarbaraAnn

                    Comment


                    • #50
                      Originally posted by UltimateSurvivor View Post

                      Thank you for demonstrating my point perfectly. Rather than provide a respectful response, you dismissed me as selfish with the presumption that the only opinions I want are the ones I agree with. Then you followed it up with a statement beginning with, "The reality is..." which is you asserting your opinion as fact instead of a viewpoint open for discussion. Many, many a forums member have grown weary of attempting to converse with you when they have seen you respond this way over and over again. This is what I mean by the boards are no longer as fun as they used to be. I am not interested in participating in a forum where I know I will be condescended to for having a conflicting opinion. Way too often it's predictable down to the page of the thread.



                      Why do you believe they are? I certainly never said they are. All opinions are valid and those who are sharing them deserve to be respected and not dismissed. We have the right to our opinions and should have the freedom to respectfully defend them, but given the tone that accompanies contrary opinions (on both sides), it stops being mature and respectful. Honestly, if I wanted that kind of environment, I'd hand out more on the political subreddits.
                      Great points. I am trying to figure out why some of my posts are put into the Letterbox also. There used to be a button to ask why, but that is missing now. But looking at them, there is no attacks, just a disagreement with those who think they know everything, kind of like the person you were responding to.
                      "And yes, we implore EVERYBODY to follow the park rules. Having off-ride footage is great, but any still photo's or video's taken ON the coasters at SFMM are strictly against the rules. They are there for your (and everybody's) safety." "Six Flags doesn't allow ANY loose articles on their coasters, and they don't allow video taping on their coasters. " BUT, "​ This is not true. Six Flags does not allow ANY On-Ride video or pictures on the rides. The ONLY way is if you get explicit permission from Park Management." ???

                      Comment


                      • #51
                        Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

                        You mean "a place to get together to share only those thoughts and feelings that you are comfortable with." Given that definition of MiceChat, your mockery of the forum as "group therapy" makes perfect sense: You don't want a forum that allows the free discussion of all feelings on Disneyland, you want a forum that mirrors your feelings about Disneyland. The reality is that the more Chapek has his way with Disneyland, the more MiceChat and other fan forums, and Facebook and Twitter, will see longtime DL customers expressing feelings that are outside of your comfort zone.
                        Try to hold your opinions about our posts. We have our opinions but you always try to override them with yours like your opinions are fact.
                        "And yes, we implore EVERYBODY to follow the park rules. Having off-ride footage is great, but any still photo's or video's taken ON the coasters at SFMM are strictly against the rules. They are there for your (and everybody's) safety." "Six Flags doesn't allow ANY loose articles on their coasters, and they don't allow video taping on their coasters. " BUT, "​ This is not true. Six Flags does not allow ANY On-Ride video or pictures on the rides. The ONLY way is if you get explicit permission from Park Management." ???

                        Comment


                        • #52
                          Originally posted by Mouseearsusa View Post
                          I miss Darkbeer's post, photos and updates. He always had great info about the parks, back in the day.
                          Darkbeer had info that no one else had. He was the heart of this site.
                          sigpic

                          This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

                          Comment


                          • #53
                            I always thought that the "heart" of the site was that the posters here told it like it was. I never set foot in Disneyland before 2005, and while preparing for that "Golden" vacation, I researched Disneyland. Many MiceChatters helped me do that online. For many years after that I could count on MiceChat for the facts. Visiting Disneyland was a dream come true, and all my vacations have been magical. MiceChatters/MiceChat helped me have many wonderful trips. I miss the many folks who collectively became the heart of the site.
                            BarbaraAnn

                            Comment


                            • #54
                              Originally posted by UltimateSurvivor View Post
                              I can only really speak for myself here, but I know I moved on because it stopped being fun. There was so much complaining and negativity dominating the threads - from ride overlays to crowd sizes, from passholders to strollers, from management to merchandise - that it felt like every conversation would devolve into blaming someone for something. This place started to feel more like Disneyland group therapy than a place to get together to share thoughts and feelings. I stopped wanting to post when I realized that no matter what position I took, I would be reduced to a stereotype instead of being respected as an individual. Every now and then I come back to see if there's something fun to participate in, and it makes me sad when I don't see it. Oh well.
                              The perfect Fan Discussion Board is one that includes - Being fun, Complaining, Complimenting, Being negative, Being positive. Respect others, and question them too. It's a place to just state what their favorite ride is. It's a place to discuss controversial subjects ... and everything else in between.

                              HELLO EVERYONE .... I've gotten too busy in recent years, (among a few other reasons), that's why I haven't been around much ... and I'm sure the same reason fits the bill for scores of others, as well.

                              It was 2000 I discovered the discussion board at Laughingplace. I was a devotee to the hundreds to thousands of discussions there for so long. Then I discovered MC right at the time the discussion forums started here ... and I was off and running simultaneously between 2 sites. It's funny my time at both sites didn't get interrupted for so long, but Life does get in the way eventually.

                              Of all the various reasons covered in 3 pages of posts ... I have another one. Now ... my primary interest is Disneyland in Anaheim. I grew up 6 miles from it ... so other divisions of the company take a backseat ... but DL is front and center.

                              Disneyland had a finite set of years where it felt it was run by people who truly cared for it at deep levels. It's not just our experiences alone (of our visits over the years) at the park. It's also the stories we've read, or people some of us were fortunate to meet in person who built and maintained DL. All that gets wrapped up into one thing in our heads ... and gave us some informed opinions. Informed opinions of a place built with an "art for art sake" motto.

                              The internet may have been around since the 90s .. but it wasn't till closer to the end of the decade the internet became more widely available. And then all these memories and knowledge and experiences suddenly had a NEW place to voice itself. Which is why I think the first full decade 2000-2010 was the height of being able to have a voice at any one of several sites, like this one.

                              All the passion .... All the excitement and "wow" factor Disneyland has provided for years .... all the discussions so many people were discussing. The low point we thought would never happen again .. the Pressler years/DCA 1.0 ..... to what seemed the dawn of another renaissance. Well ... something happened. Something has stabbed my interest in DL (as I think it did for many others who bailed) .

                              What it is it? The growing Cash-grabbing Overly Corporate World.

                              The further away we get from the years Walt's family had a vested interest in the company.......
                              The more new execs come in with their own schemes.
                              Think they are doing it good.
                              But these newer and newer hierarchies care less and less of the "heart" of what makes DL a success.
                              New projects aren't being carried out in the best way.

                              Bottom line .... it's like the corporate world is killing off my love for it.
                              How many others are having their love killed off by corporate, and have lost any care to come here and post about it?
                              And worst yet, our society just keeps accepting new levels of Low and no one has the power to do anything about it.

                              I have that feeling. And then a few other things got misconstrued and misunderstood regarding a few reputation point type of systems that never got cleared up properly .. and left it be. It's blown over. Thinking I was ever some serious troublemaker with no understanding of basic rules, was greatly exaggerated. But that was long ago, now. Water under the bridge. Seems MC is a better place again. And I hope it stays that way.

                              Fewer people? Yes. Life will have us phasing in and out depending on our career status at any given time. And then there's Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc. You know .. it's all too much. Too many sites vying for our attention. Which in turn becomes too many distractions. And now nearly 2 decades of social media ... makes me wonder if by mid century it's remembered as an early 21st century fad. Does it really improve relations between people? Keeps us in touch. But an improvement to relationships? I'm not so sure about that.

                              But for now .... I can't be bothered with Laughingplace or Mouseinfo, Mouseplanet ... their discussion forums could be toast, I haven't looked. But I seem to keep my profile active here ... It's fun to get into debate with those who are still here, and with new members. And see if that overly corporate world running Disney ever makes changes for the better. When topics become heated .... I always hope people maintain a thick skin, don't get so easily offended by everything, and have faith in many of us can follow easy forum rules.

                              Anyhow ....... glad to see Micechat is still around.

                              Thanks Micechat!
                              MY SIGNATURE:
                              Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X