Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post Counts

How important are post counts? Post counts appear under your username and they show how many posts you have created.
    Extremely Important
    7.69%
    Very Important
    15.38%
    Somewhat Important
    38.46%
    Not Very Important
    38.46%

It is nice to see how far I have come since joining but it is just a number.

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoMatt View Post
      How important are post counts? Post counts appear under your username and they show how many posts you have created.
      I think the question this poll actually asks is, "How much weight should post counts carry?"

My vote would be "no weight." The same with join dates. Posts should be read in terms of their content, without the influence of the poster's longevity in the forum as measured by post counts and join dates.

Post counts and join dates should be available for members to see on their own profile pages, and on the Member List for those who want to look them up... but not displayed in public under the username.

For the same reason, the User Title should be eliminated. "New MiceChatter" and "Senior MiceChatter" are labels that imply status, and can thus influence perception of the content of the member's post. Posts should be agreed with or argued against on their content, without the perception-skew of "senior" or "newbie."

Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 06-24-2019, 01:46 PM.
      "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
      it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
      together with every variety of recreation and fun,
      designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
      - Michael Eisner

Comment

I remember when I first joined MiceChat. I was not only new to this site, but I was also brand new to posting on forums anywhere. I did not know my way around. I knew nothing. I liked this site because overall the people/posters here were friendly. MiceChat was not only about Disneyland/Disney. It was also a place where I could make friends. At first, I was very timid about saying much. I soon learned that as long as I followed the rules, I could speak my mind. I like the personalized titles, under the usernames. It added another level of enjoyment to the place. It still does. Post counts don't necessarily equate with knowledge, because I admit to not necessarily being an expert on the many topics that are being discussed each and every day here on this site. I am a high school graduate, but I must admit that sometimes, I read a post, and I scratch my head. I just don't understand everything that I read here. Some posters can get pretty technical, and it goes right over my head. Or in a heated debate, I must admit that after I read something, I can't tell which side of the argument, the poster is on. It breaks my heart that MiceChat is now accused of being a hostile place to hang out. I never think of it like that. Instead, I remember all the fun that I have had here, and all that I have learned here. I learned about Disneyland, of course. I also learned about life, and how to get along with all types of individuals. I probably accumulated more of my post numbers in the Fun and Games Lounge than I ever did in the more serious forums of the site. I miss those days, and those people.
        BarbaraAnn

Comment

The user title is a fun little aspect. It’s like a signature but short and sweet (thus less cumbersome). If someone is abusing it, then they should be dealt with accordingly.

Comment

"Seniority" does no good in a place where all opinions should be considered equally. Also, post count doesn't relay the thoughtfulness of a user's posts vs just a bunch of one word replies.

If it was up to me, I would suggest all users have the same "status" and only the moderators be delineated as such.

Comment

The number of posts only matters to those who thinks anyone cares about it.
              "And yes, we implore EVERYBODY to follow the park rules. Having off-ride footage is great, but any still photo's or video's taken ON the coasters at SFMM are strictly against the rules. They are there for your (and everybody's) safety." "Six Flags doesn't allow ANY loose articles on their coasters, and they don't allow video taping on their coasters. " BUT, "​ This is not true. Six Flags does not allow ANY On-Ride video or pictures on the rides. The ONLY way is if you get explicit permission from Park Management." ???

Comment

Originally posted by savarese04 View Post
                "Seniority" does no good in a place where all opinions should be considered equally. Also, post count doesn't relay the thoughtfulness of a user's posts vs just a bunch of one word replies.
                Exactly.

- Walt Disney

- Michael Eisner

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

Exactly.
                  This made me laugh.

Comment

Originally posted by WaltDisney'sAlec View Post
                    This made me laugh.
                    Oops. My bad -- I'd meant that as agreement with savarese04's post... and I missed the irony that my response was one word!

In all seriousness, public displays of post counts, join dates, and labels like "New Member" and "Senior Member" promote a false sense of status and hierarchy ranking. I think a member's standing in a forum community should be a function of what they say and how they say it, for better or worse -- not how many or few years they've been a member, or how many or few times they've clicked "Send."

Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 07-18-2019, 01:00 PM.

- Walt Disney

- Michael Eisner

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

Oops. My bad -- I'd meant that as agreement with savarese04's post... and I missed the irony that my response was one word!

In all seriousness, public displays of post counts, join dates, and labels like "New Member" and "Senior Member" promote a false sense of status and hierarchy ranking. I think a member's standing in a forum community should be a function of what they say and how they say it, for better or worse -- not how many or few years they've been a member, or how many or few times they've clicked "Send."

Some forums have a "likes received" counter as well, that shows how many times the users posts have been liked.

Perhaps Micechat can implement one of these.

Comment

Likes don't necessarily prove how knowledgeable a poster is on any given topic. Likes are handed out for contributing to a topic. However, they are also handed out for many other reasons. Even those that might be considered negative by some.
                        BarbaraAnn

Comment

Originally posted by Barbaraann View Post
                          Likes don't necessarily prove how knowledgeable a poster is on any given topic. Likes are handed out for contributing to a topic. However, they are also handed out for many other reasons. Even those that might be considered negative by some.
                          I agree. Anonymous likes in social media and forums often are given to posters we agree with -- it's human nature. The downside on threads about controversial subjects is it's a kind of voting system that can create a sense of sides, "party affiliation," and tribalism.

- Walt Disney

- Michael Eisner

Comment

Working...
                          X