Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are there/Should there be Guidelines for Signature Size?

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are there/Should there be Guidelines for Signature Size?

This isn't the most pressing issue for the MiceChat forum, but I think it's worth asking.

Are there official guidelines for how much (or how LARGE of things) we can put into our signature? For example, other forums I've participated in require sig pictures to be within a certain amount of pixels in height, or a given maximum number of lines of text/links. It's not in the official Rules and Regulations, but I wonder if the mods have any related thoughts or input.

It isn't a widespread problem, but a few members have rather large pictures and YouTube videos, etc, in their signatures, and it does disrupt a thread with unnecessary scrolling.

A premature tip of the hat for the MiceChat mods, thank you for all that you do! :thumbup:

~2DieFR

Re: Are there/Should there be Guidelines for Signature Size?

I avoid the problem altogether by disabling signatures in my User CP, just uncheck the box and you're set.

Comment

This subject has been discussed A LOT on MiceChat. If they bother you, do as TRL suggests, turn sig lines off and you won't have to worry about it.

Comment

This has been brought up several times. there are no limits and there is an option to turn signatures off....i think that was the outcome of the threads in a nutshell.

Comment

Originally posted by TikiRoomLiz View Post
          I avoid the problem altogether by disabling signatures in my User CP.
          Good idea but does it disable the 'Go Gold' campaign buttons too? I can see your 'Go Gold' campaign button and I want to make sure mine can be seen.

I agree with the OP that sometimes the signature blocks make it a pain in the bottom, esp. when all they say is 'Great pictures' and then you have 4" of signature block to read the next post.
          sigpic

Comment

I see, it's either all or nothin'. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by 2DieFR View Post
              I see, it's either all or nothin'. Thank you.
              Yeah, pretty much. By disabling signatures you can still add stuff in your signature area - it's just that you won't see yours or anybody else's ... but other people who have not disabled that feature will see whatever you place there.

I disabled it for the reasons you stated there should be guidelines - some signatures were rather lengthy and made me scroll down a lot so I took them off.

Comment

I turned them off too. Too many large pictures and what-not cluttering up my view.
                My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

Comment

Also, if someone has a sig that you think is REALLY! large, you can nicely PM them and ask them to shorten it. IT may or may not work!
                  Good morning, son
                  In twenty years from now
                  Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
                  And I can tell you 'bout today
                  And how I picked you up and everything changed
                  It was pain
                  Sunny days and rain
                  I knew you'd feel the same things...

sigpic

Comment

NNL, your signature is too long and talks of happy things.

Oh wait ... that was supposed to be sent via PM. Sorry.

(BTW, I'm joking)

Comment

I hear what you are saying NNL but I'd hate to miss an interesting Sigline because I have to disable them due to a few taking advantage of it. I'd hate to have to move houses just because of "SigZilla".

Comment

Are there guidelines? No.

Should there be? IMHO, yes.

I know I miss stuff, but I turn them off anyway.

Comment

Oh yeah, I don't turn them off either. I don't want to miss them.
                          THere IS the option of turning off your sig on a post by post basis, like I have for this one.
                          But I usually forget to uncheck the box :blush:
                          I also feel bad because my sig has gotten bigger since this thread began
                          At least I change mine often! (That makes up for it? )
                          Good morning, son
                          In twenty years from now
                          Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
                          And I can tell you 'bout today
                          And how I picked you up and everything changed
                          It was pain
                          Sunny days and rain
                          I knew you'd feel the same things...

sigpic

Comment

As they have said there really isn't a set guideline beyond common courtesy in length or size. There is one thing that hasn't been mentioned that IS a guideline for not only your signature but posting on MiceChat in general that isn't allowed - hot linking. That's directly linking an image to another's site and stealing their bandwidth. Instead you should re-host the image yourself through a photo hosting site such as PhotoBucket.

I've jumped between having them and not. Some days I'll turn them off when I feel like everyone's signature is 80 miles long but eventually I'll turn them back on since they tend to change and it's fun to see everyone's creativity.

Comment

The new style we are currently testing will feature an option to make signatures a fixed size (and then scrollable inside that area).
                              -Monorail Man

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X