This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making of World of Color Presentation: Pics and thoughts

Today at D23 Steve Davison presented the making of World of Color in the Storyteller's theatre at the D23 convention. Davison Literally put on a one man show version of the upcoming World of Color night time extravaganza coming to Disney's California Adventure early next year. Through a slide presentation an Steve's boundless enthusiasm we were taken from the opening sequences to the ending finale.

Below are pictures and captions of what we saw.

Keeping only a few surprises to himself Davison shared generously with the eager crowd that was packed into the small 400 seat theatre.

"Remember this?", Davison asked while playing the intro to the original, World of Color television show

We were then show footage of the projector test that were conducted before construction began

We were then shown an overview of the layouts for the fountains

The fountain platform is larger than a football field

Construction pics

The different types of fountains used

Steve then began to give us a play by play of what is planned for the show.

A kaleidoscope of lasers begins the show and gives way to...

Tinkerbell bringing the water to life along with the show's little mascot, Little Squirt

Color is the theme

Rain drops give way to a storm, notice the use of the old mill

Then comes Alice

Crush

Stars

Whales

Toy Story takes the stage, er, lake

Then the baddies come to play YES!

Scar gets ready to attack

The stampede of water and wildebeests overruns the audience

Mufassa dies and scenes of family and what really matters fill the lagoon then

Transformation

Then the Finale!

One surprise announcement ...

Amy Grant as the Signature voice for World of Color.

Amy Grant as the Signature voice? She can sing but really? Not a fan but I will choose to wait and see. Meh.

My only problem with the presentation; There were at least 800 people (My personal estimate from the vast line I saw) queued up in a STANDBY line waiting for any additional room in the already packed theatre. With no additional presentations scheduled these people were turned away after waiting for well over an hour.

Further still, had I wanted to see the next presentation in the same theatre it would have been virtually impossible. We Make the Music: Disney Theme Park Music, was to start in the theatre just one half hour after Making of WOC ended. WOC ended 10 mins late and, after exiting into the lobby I ran into the same over crowding for the music event. Which forced Convention goers to choose between two very popular events or play the dirty game of line place holding.

I do have to admit, though, that it must be a pretty daunting task to estimate what presentations would be popular and which ones would be less attended. However, it should be common knowledge that anything having to do with the parks and film would be the most popular. It just somehow feels a little naive to me. Regardless the presentation, for those fortunate enough to see it, was phenomenal!

Good JOB STEVE DAVISON!
    "All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals.
    Homer Jay Simpson

Re: Making of World of Color Presentation: Pics and thoughts

Thanks for the report and abundant photos from the WOC presentation! This just makes me even more excited about the show next year. :thumbup:

It does seem a little surprising that they didn't put that presentation in one of the larger rooms. I know it's the first year of the Expo and there is a lot of learning going on. Another solution would be to schedule the popular presentations more than once. I did notice that the Science of Imagineering is presented on both Saturday and Sunday. Scheduling a repeat session would help some Expo attendees get to the presentations they really want.

Comment

I love that they are using the Sprite character from Fantasia 2000. Easily one of my favorite characters.

Comment

Originally posted by Armadillo4 View Post
        Thanks for the report and abundant photos from the WOC presentation! This just makes me even more excited about the show next year. :thumbup:

It does seem a little surprising that they didn't put that presentation in one of the larger rooms. I know it's the first year of the Expo and there is a lot of learning going on. Another solution would be to schedule the popular presentations more than once. I did notice that the Science of Imagineering is presented on both Saturday and Sunday. Scheduling a repeat session would help some Expo attendees get to the presentations they really want.
        agreed about the WoC Presentation being held in a bigger showroom. They underestimated the popularity of this show. They could have done this at Stage 23 which I believe is bigger than the Storytellers.

I'll repost this from the DCA tracker, some thoughts on the presentation:
        The presentation was a bit similar to the BSC version, but significantly longer and more detailed. Steven went all out, he could barely catch his breath at the end. The guy is amazing to watch!

Steve talked about the opening scene and the lasers that will be used. Apparently they will be completely new laser technology, done by a French guy who is a laser expert. Steven said they had just gotten the ok to use those lasers; they are supposed to be extra vibrant and rich with color.

He talked about a scene with Dory/Nemo and a giant whale made entirely out of fountains.

We were also treated to a CGI mockup of an Incredibles scene. It was incredible, excuse pun. The music, the fountains, the movement and height of the water, the MUSIC. omg.

When showing the layout of the platform, he pointed to several spots that he claimed would be "surprises". I'm guessing these will be the jellyfish? When talking about the Chernabog scene he said it would include a secret element that he wasn't giving away.

Steven gave us a sneak peek of the Stampede scene. Steven said the animation had just been completed in France. The whole scene is pure genius.. The entire back wall of projection is the giant wildebeests coming at you, while in the front screen you see Simba and other Wildebeests. The end of the scene is quite dramatic, you see Mufasa's death as Scar whispers 'Long live the King'. You see him fall, then there is a blackout.

The following scene involves baby Simba going to Mufasa's dead body, and in the background you see animals and a sort of afterlife/heaven sequence. You also see Bambi and his mom, along with other characters and their families.

I had seen the BSC video and watched it over and over. But there is nothing like seeing Steven in action, hearing the music as he acts out the scenes, watching all of this with such an awesome crowd. This was the highlight of the day for me.
        - Adventure Is Waiting -

"We're going to take you out of this world of reality for a visit to the most fantastic of all the worlds of fantasy." - Walt Disney

Comment

It was an amazing presentation and I cannot wait for the show! I agree that they should repeat the popular presentations. My DH and I wanted to see the We Make the Music presentation as well, but when we saw the standby line, we gave up and went downstairs to check out the exhibits on the floor.
          Imagination ~ dream a fantastic dream ~ use your imagination

Please visit my store!
          http://www.zazzle.com/carouselofcolor*

My current blog - check it out!
          http://www.thishappyplace.wordpress.com

Comment

I was so happy to see Steve do his own special presentation of the show! I had seen him present other things on the internet in the past and I knew we would get a great show! He is lots of fun to watch!

I agree with you that it's disappointing that the events in the Storytellers Theater didn't have more seating and better designed waiting areas. These were the things (along with the really big stuff in the Arena) that I was most looking forward to seeing. I was watching the time on the WOC presentation, and was one of the first out the door when it ended and straight into the line for the next show (theme park music). I was already in non-guaranteed stand-by as one of the first out of the last show. I was lucky enough to get in, but I'm sure most people exiting the last show weren't.

Comment

This is something I now really look forward to. Great shots Fishy, I can't wait!

Comment

this show is going to be amazing! I just cant get by all the pictures thanks for posting fishbulb.
                "I love Mickey Mouse more than any woman I have ever known."-Walt Disney

Hope I was helpful!

Comment

So glad you were able to report on this. I wasn't able to make it to this, and it was on my list of things to see. I just want to say real quick, anyone who is saying that they are glad they aren't missing out, really is. I have to say I've really enjoyed the past 2 days!
                  Check out my video of Stevie Wonder at Disneyland!

And all of the rest of my videos too:
                  www.youtube.com/user/TopChefRemy

Comment

Thanks! I was in the standby line and 7 people away from the door. So sad I missed it, but thank you so much! Any more pictures?
                    ONE TWO THREE NOT ONLY YOU AND ME :vogue:

Comment

I think Amy Grant is a great choice! I've seen her in person and she is warm, funny, yet gentle and inviting. Everything Disney represents, too. A friend of mine in the recording industry and who is quite the opposite of what people think Amy is, has been to her home. He said she is one of the nicest people he has ever met.
                      Mark

Disney parks and art, movies, music, more... Over 1, 500 Posts!
                      www.InsightsandSounds.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by MTdizzle94 View Post
                        Thanks! I was in the standby line and 7 people away from the door. So sad I missed it, but thank you so much! Any more pictures?
                        What is sad is I sat on the second row on the aisle, and there was one seat open in the very front corner, two seats open behind me, and one on my row. I kept trying to get the attention of the staff seating people, but nobody ever came back up to the front of the theater or looked further up, to see if any seats didn't get filled. I posted a few other shots in the expo photo thread.
                        sigpic

Comment

Looks BEAUTIFUL!
                          -----------------------------------------------
                          DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth :thumbup:

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth :thumbup:

Comment

Thanks for the pics fishy!!!

Comment

The art looks so bright and beautiful. I hope it translates in the show. I'm looking forward to seeing it! :clap:
                              A signature should go here.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X