X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JiminyCEsq
    replied
    Re: EVENT: D23's Candlelight Spectacular at Disneyland - Dec 6, 2009

Well, I am really confused about the pics, because they showed up on my Apple at home last night after posting, but not on my Windows desktop at work this morning. If you cant see them either - Sorry, I tried!

Leave a comment:

• JiminyCEsq
    replied

Ok, I will try the pics again, sorry ... Since I have officially given up my visual anonymity, let me just say that I try to fall somewhere between Pollyanna and Grinch, and that my hope is that by sharing feedback that D23 can become even better, because I know from earlier contacts with some of the folks that they really do care. Thanks again!

Leave a comment:

• JiminyCEsq
    replied

Leave a comment:

• James90241
    replied

Originally posted by Rob33 View Post
    Here you go:
    WOW, someone is selling this on ebay for $99.95!!

Leave a comment:

• Rob33
    replied

Originally posted by ryanvalle View Post
    Just curious, did Jon Voit join everyone at the buffet/dinner?
    No. There were 2 Candlelight shows - 5:30 & 8:00 PM. John Voit was hosting the 5:30 Candlelight while our dinner at Stage 17 was at 6:00. D23's Candlelight was at 8:00. There was a discussion pannel back at Stage 17 after the show, but John Voit was not there.
    Last edited by Rob33; 12-08-2009, 10:10 AM.

Leave a comment:

• bythesea
    replied

A very basic, small red glass Christmas ornament with a screened Mickey & Minnie "Happy Holidays from your Friends at D23." Approximate retail value: 99 cents. Seriously. 99 cents!
    This is great!!! THANKS for the feedback! After hearing this, along with a few other reviews, I am glad that I did not spend my money on this! and by spend I mean WASTE! Sorry to be harsh...but it's true!

Leave a comment:

• ryanvalle
    replied

Just curious, did Jon Voit join everyone at the buffet/dinner?

Leave a comment:

• Rob33
    replied

Originally posted by d43boy View Post
    Also, anyone have a picture of the ornament?

Here you go:

Leave a comment:

• d43boy
    replied

Wow! Sounds cool! I can see where some may be disappointed with the value, though.

Anxiously awaiting pics! I am very interested in pics of the characters and what they were wearing. Also, anyone have a picture of the ornament?

At any rate, would love to see pics from the entire event! I hope someone posts them for those of us far away!

Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• JiminyCEsq
    replied

I havent time to post until Tuesday with my pics, but I enjoyed the event and will share my thoughts after I rest up! I spent Saturday at the Disney Family Museum for Walt's birthday and special lecture, and then flew to OC for D23 event Sunday - and had to work today ugh. I understand the disappointment for some but I am glad I attended and will post thoughts/pics tomorrow (have never posted pics before, have to figure out how). More to come - thanks!

Leave a comment:

• disneylandtour
    replied

Has anyone noticed an inverse relationship between the cost of a D23 event and its quality?

Studio - free - high quality
    Convention - $30/day - some interesting panels and talks
    Candlelight - $275 - (except for the ceremony, which is free with admission) poor reviews all around.

Leave a comment:

• ryanvalle
    replied

Originally posted by Rob33 View Post
    Happy Holidays fellow Mice Chatters! I attended the D23 Candlelight Spectacular event at Disneyland yesterday... The $550 cost per couple was a real stretch for me. I was anticipating a real top notch Disney experience. The Candlelight ceremony itself was phenomenal. The reserved seats were terrific. Not $275 a seat terrific, but still great seats.

As for the rest, I was somewhat underwhelmed. The admission packet included one HHM Fast Pass. That's it for the surprise goodies. The "Reserved Viewing" for "A Christmas Fantasy Parade" was simply a small roped off area in Town Square with no seating. I would have been just as happy standing at any curb along Main Street. Nothing special at all. Dinner at Stage 17... Turkey and ham buffet line. Long lines - food was fine - something I'd expect to pay maybe 25 bucks for at a local restaurant. Dinner entertainment was "Minnie's Christmas Party." Cute - sort of. Then on to Candlelight. Like I said, awesome show with nice seats. Back to Stage 17 for Character Meet & Greet photo op... Mickey, Minnie, Pluto, Goofy, Chip & Dale. Nice. Hot chocolate, coffee and ginger bread cookies. Then about 45 min Q & A on stage with some of the Disneyland show producers and directors. I enjoyed some of the background stories... but frankly you can see stuff like that on You Tube. Oh, and the special "Surprise D23 Gift"? A very basic, small red glass Christmas ornament with a screened Mickey & Minnie "Happy Holidays from your Friends at D23." Approximate retail value: 99 cents. Seriously. 99 cents!

It was a nice event - just nowhere near $275 pp nice. Next year... I think I'll skip the D23 event altogether. Perhaps a nice dinner at Napa Rose at $100 pp. I'll use my P AP for admission and wrangle myself into a nice spot to view candlelight for no additional charge.
    Thanks for the insight. I was wondering what kind of extra value was being added to this often sold out event, especially since it seems like it was nearly a d23 exclusive.

Hopefully the look at this feedback for next years event to try and improve the experience for future attendees.

Leave a comment:

• Rob33
    replied

Originally posted by gpiltz View Post
    Thank you for the insight, Rob, and for the kind words about the show.
    The Candlelight Spectacular was truly spectacular! I was blown away by the beauty and grace of the event. Where else in the world can one experience an evening like that? A chorus of 1,000 angels along with a symphony orchestra... wow. John Voit was elegant as can be. What a fabulous gift Walt has left to his fellow mankind. I left with a warm heart and a freshly cleansed soul. An amazing experience.

Last edited by Rob33; 12-07-2009, 07:29 PM.

Leave a comment:

• gpiltz
    replied

Thank you for the insight, Rob, and for the kind words about the show.

Leave a comment:

• Rob33
    replied

Happy Holidays fellow Mice Chatters! I attended the D23 Candlelight Spectacular event at Disneyland yesterday... The $550 cost per couple was a real stretch for me. I was anticipating a real top notch Disney experience. The Candlelight ceremony itself was phenomenal. The reserved seats were terrific. Not $275 a seat terrific, but still great seats.

As for the rest, I was somewhat underwhelmed. The admission packet included one HHM Fast Pass. That's it for the surprise goodies. The "Reserved Viewing" for "A Christmas Fantasy Parade" was simply a small roped off area in Town Square with no seating. I would have been just as happy standing at any curb along Main Street. Nothing special at all. Dinner at Stage 17... Turkey and ham buffet line. Long lines - food was fine - something I'd expect to pay maybe 25 bucks for at a local restaurant. Dinner entertainment was "Minnie's Christmas Party." Cute - sort of. Then on to Candlelight. Like I said, awesome show with nice seats. Back to Stage 17 for Character Meet & Greet photo op... Mickey, Minnie, Pluto, Goofy, Chip & Dale. Nice. Hot chocolate, coffee and ginger bread cookies. Then about 45 min Q & A on stage with some of the Disneyland show producers and directors. I enjoyed some of the background stories... but frankly you can see stuff like that on You Tube. Oh, and the special "Surprise D23 Gift"? A very basic, small red glass Christmas ornament with a screened Mickey & Minnie "Happy Holidays from your Friends at D23." Approximate retail value: 99 cents. Seriously. 99 cents!

It was a nice event - just nowhere near $275 pp nice. Next year... I think I'll skip the D23 event altogether. Perhaps a nice dinner at Napa Rose at $100 pp. I'll use my P AP for admission and wrangle myself into a nice spot to view candlelight for no additional charge.
    Last edited by Rob33; 12-07-2009, 03:40 PM.

Leave a comment:

• gpiltz
    replied

Hey Fellow D23ers,

I hope everyone enjoyed Candlelight 2009! I thought the choir sang the heck out of those songs this year, and I'm proud to be counted among their ranks. For anyone who went to the D23 Private Event, spill the beans! I'd love to know what suprises were in store for you.

Thank!

Geren

Leave a comment:

• rlp
    replied

I was just on the D23 site and it did sell out. I am not sure how many tickets they sold but they are gone. Glad I have my tickets, see you there.

Leave a comment:

• musakman5150
    replied

Well said Tigger, I did feel a little ripped off at the D-23 P&F in Burbank, since the people right behind us for the 930 show got everything we did except the popcorn,drink,beads,litho, and pre-show. But all in all I was still satisfied. I think Candlelight will be money well spent, cant wait.

Leave a comment:

• JiminyCEsq
    replied

Thanks for your thoughts - I too believe that although the price is steep, it will be worth it. I went to a few of the events you mentioned, and had an unforgettable time. I think the D23, Disneyland team, and choir will make it an evening to remember and I am doubly excited because I am flying in that morning from SF, having spent the prior day celebrating Walt's birthday at the new family museum! I never ever would have doubled events up like that but I imagine even though I will be spent - in every sense - by the time I get home Sunday night (or Monday morning), I will have had a weekend I will never forget. I do wish more people could afford but I bet that D23 did their best to make it worthwhile and we will all be happy campers after the day is over!

Leave a comment:

• imtigger2
    replied

"Disney is not "sweetening the pot," they are trying to make it worth $275. As of right now, the value is missing and no one at Disney seems to understand that.

Look, I have no problem dropping $1K for a family of four on this.. I did last year. ($71 park admission x 4 = $284 + $175 dinner admission x4 = $700 = $984) But that included dinner at the Napa Rose.. which had value to it.

Stage 17 is pathetic. Who is the Chef? I have done these "private dinners" with Disney before in Stage 17 and in Hollywood and Dine, next to the Hyperion. IT WAS NEVER WORTH IT.

To some of us, it's not about the money, it's about the value. Disney needs to understand that this is the reason some of us are upset. Andrew Sutton made Napa Rose's menu amazingly worth $175. but $275 in a non-dinner environment? I think I'll wait and see first."

==========================================

Have any of you (those that are complaining about the price) ever been to a WDAC or WDCC or OUAC or any of the Disney exclusive collectors events or dinners before? If you haven't, then you have NO IDEA what the value of this is. Seriously.

Don't get me wrong, we're all entitled to our own opinions, but to tear it all down not even knowing what you're tearing down seems a little "uptight" to me.

My wife Laura and I have been going to most all these events for years now and flat out, the "FREE" gift they give you ALONE is usually worth selling on eBay to cover the entire cost of the event. I have examples of exclusive Pirates Pins (boxed beautifully in a treasure chest with coins and other items), Chenabog coins, Snow White crystal apples, on and on... The dinner event itself should by NO MEANS be judged by it's location. In fact, the larger the EMPTY space, the better. You won't believe what D23 and Disney is capable of when making these events come to life. Are you thinking we're going to have a buffet table and bright white lights above us on paper plates?

For the Pirates 40th Event, they turned a meeting room at the DL Hotel INTO the Bayou and New Orleans Square at Disneyland. It looked like the Blue Bayou had been moved piece by piece into this large room... fog, music, Pirates band, etc.. The quality of the food and service was just insane. You truly feel like you're being carried by Disney on a soft pillow the entire event.

Some of my other fav were the Divas Event, WOW!! Mr. Toads anniversary where we got to hold our cocktails in our hands, and while in the queue for each attraction, we picked finger foods from along the entire queue and loaded up WITH Peter Pan or WITH Snow White while enjoying wine and food. In the end of the Toads event, we were showered with gifts and to top it all off, the headless horseman rode through FAntasyland, reared up on Main Street and tossed his flaming pumpkin head SMASHING it down the street.

The WDAC Studios Tour event was 2-3 days of the most insane treatment we've ever had on an event. The Studios, the Archives, lunch at the Studios, and huge beautiful private dinner at the DL Hotel and even Maquette painting classes! it was great!!

Don't ever underestimate D23 or Disney Event Services. They pull out ALL the stops and while you can't please everyone, I would say that 98% of the people will be STUNNED by the food, the special seating for the parade and Candlelight, the show, the atmosphere, the special treatment and the special gifts given.

For us, worth it without hesitation. We'll of course sell our gifts (maybe) to recoop most the cost... but even without, these are memories and experiences you just can't pass up. $275? People are paying $450 a night for a room at the Grand, or $275 for a View Room at the DL Hotel. I completely understand that this IS a disposible income thing. Most people won't have the money for the event, and that makes some people angry. Why?? Just don't buy the package! As a reminder, Disneyland IS OPEN for the Candlelight, and it's FREE. Completely FREE. (well, if you have an AP or ticket for DL that is). For me I feel it's priced just right for an entire afternoon/evening of events, special seating, dinner, show, after show reception, special guests, special gifts. Just believe me when I say that it's worth every penny, if you have the means. If you don't have the means, I'm sorry, I truly am. I'm not rich, and I do like to get value for my money, and this IS value for the money.

On another note, yes, Disneyland needs badly to create a larger venue like WDW's. I agree. In fact, the first thing I've suggested to MANY is that because the tree is in the way, put a LARGE projection screen in FRONT of the Xmas tree so people can SEE the CP down Main Street USA(tm), then relax all the way down Main Street and watch and listen. I've seen them put up huge screens during the 50th, I know they can do it, and they should. Put them up in the Small World Mall as well, show it live on the screens! It would bring the park to life that night. The CP is very special and shouldn't be missed, even if you can just hear it, you can at least see the Processional walk down Main Street and enjoy the Disneyland atmosphere that night.

Anyway... to each his own. Don't bag on the cost and the hard work D23 and Disney Event Services puts into these events unless you know exactly what you're talking about. Unless you've been able to experience it yourself to determine if it's worth it or not, you can't judge it by it's cover (price).

Thanks and enjoy the show if you go.

Sincerely,

Dan B
    imtigger2
    Last edited by imtigger2; 12-01-2009, 07:35 PM. Reason: spelling, change structure, remove ranting ;-)

Leave a comment:

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X