Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

MiceChat Rules

A list of MiceChat's rules can be found at the top of the Disneyland forum.
2 of 2 < >

Ad Blockers

Please do not use ad blocking software when visiting MiceChat. It costs money to keep MiceChat online, and ad revenue offsets this. Thank you.
See more
See less

D23 merch. for sale at Toby Tyler showing

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D23 merch. for sale at Toby Tyler showing

I got a reminder email today for this Sunday's D23 50 and fabulous showing of Toby Tyler at the Disney Studios in Burbank.

Included in the mailing was a link to merchandise that will be available for purchase. There's a new pin, but there are also the pins that we were given at past events...for sale, now. I can't say I'm happy with this. What do you think? Should the pins be exclusives for people who attend each event only?

Here's the link:

http://d23.disney.go.com/images/0327...andiseForm.pdf

Re: D23 merch. for sale at Toby Tyler showing

They had that same form when I took the studio tour. I have to say that I'm undecided about their decision to sell overstock items.

For one, I see it like a slap to the face for people that buy stuff off ebay because after the UP event, I recall seeing the pins selling for a maximum of $70, but to see it on sale for $20 would probably hurt for anybody that bought it for that much. And for that side of things, I'm sure people would probably not like the decision to put things on sale.

Also, people may be upset because it takes away from the "exclusivity" of a product. Take the D23 party which on the event page (when it was up) was advertised as a "limited-edition, commemorative pin." No words of exclusivity, but the fact that one can buy it without attending the event may takes away from the relationship of being limited edition and commemorative.

However, I can see why Disney is doing this and if they see it the way I do, it all just comes down to the money. I'm sure that Disney ordered "extras" of these items to ensure that everyone that attends an event does get a a piece or perhaps by ordering a certain quantity gets a discount. Who knows. But the fact is that they spent the money to get them and now have extras. With D23 probably needing the money to sustain business without increasing prices on membership and future events, selling these items will probably help those costs.

So either way, I'm not happy or sad because even though it takes away from the exclusive feeling I have on owning a pin or other item, I know that when they sell these items, it does help the costs stay down for me, the member.

Comment

I was actually kind of excited to see the merchandise for sale -- while I do see your point. But I'm mostly excited about the patches and posters for sale. I'll probably get all of them.

I probably won't get any of the pins. I do want the 1st Anniversary Pin, but $30 is a bit too much for me right now.

Though, I think it's nice that people don't have to pay billions of dollars on ebay. I suppose it loses some of the worth to people that got them at the events, but personally I think if people are buying them on ebay then it's a similar thing.

Comment

I'll be at this event too!

I'm thinking about getting the studios lanyard style pin. I'd also like the patches. Remember how crazed people were to get them when that magazine came out?!?

I'm also glad that by offering these for sale at events, it keeps others from gouging on Ebay. Folks will think twice about overpaying for an item on Ebay if there is a good chance Disney may have a few extra left to sell at later events

If they can reduce their inventory and make a few of us fans happy at the same time, I'm all for it.
        MiceChat 101: Be NICE! If you don't play well with others, you are in the wrong sandbox.

Find us on Facebook: .

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,
        Save

Comment

I don't like that they'rre doing this...it takes away how special each of the gifts were. However, I really would LOVE to get all the patches, the posters, buttons, the Launch Pin, and the case...however $45 for that case seems a little steep. was it ever on sale anywhere before?
          Matt!

Comment

Originally posted by Epcot2000 View Post
            the case...however $45 for that case seems a little steep. was it ever on sale anywhere before?
            I've seen it at a few events. They offered it at the Magic and Merriment event at WDW this past December. I think it includes the 4 magazines as well. So, if you've opened your magazines but want to keep pristine copies for collecting purposes, then I guess it would make sense. Though, at that price, I'm happy enough with the dog-eared copies I already have. LOL.
            MiceChat 101: Be NICE! If you don't play well with others, you are in the wrong sandbox.

Find us on Facebook: .

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,
            Save

Comment

Originally posted by Dustysage View Post
              I think it includes the 4 magazines as well.
              Nope . It says it under the picture on the flyer that the magazines aren't included. So yeah, it is quite a bit of money for just the case.

Comment

I'd like the lanyard pin and maybe the expo buttons, just because I used to collect buttons. Don't know if I'll get them, but I'd like them.

I know all these were available on ebay and sure you could get them even if you didn't attend an event. I'm just a bit disappointed to see them offered in this way. However, that doesn't mean I like mine any less. I do expect to see more of them on ebay right after this event.

Comment

I do think that them selling the left overs devalues the gifts in the first place and make them less special. That being said, I am glad that there are a few items I am able to pick up but still do not think that it is right.

When the UP screening took place, the pins was marked LE 1500 which really confused me at the time. The theater has 1000 seats. Leaving 500 extra pins I always wondered what happened to them. 500 pins at $20 each = $10,000.

I do believe that is the only gift that had a stated edition size and it was a little shocking they made so many extra beyond what the venue could hold. It makes me wonder if they will make over runs of all the gifts for the point of selling them for a profit at other events. Im sure the extra 500 pins over the original number needed did not cost very much to produce but could bring in upto $10,000 if all were sold were $20 each.

It really makes you wonder about all the gifts and that if the are making extras just to sell for a profit.

Comment

They are only valuable if people are willing to pay those crazy prices for them in the first place. I'm glad they make the merchandise available; they are obviously placing the value in the item itself and not its uniqueness or exclusivity. We were told D23 is not meant to be a club of merchandise events, unlike the pin or Shag events. The D23 pins commemorate the events and are nice keepsakes, much like the dated t-shirts and mugs at the parks. I don't see anyone complaining when the outlet stores sell Disney merchandise dated from the previous year at 75% off!

I have the slipcase for the magazines, and it is quality and very nice. I think the price is reasonable.
                    Ludwig von Baroketch
                    sigpic
                    Kapellmeister, Gracey Estate

Comment

I like the idea that they are selling the surplus items. Not every D23 member can get into all of the events, this way they can buy the item from the event. This year, I have only been able to attned the anniversary party at Disneyland and we were not given the opportunity to buy these items.
                      Mike L
                      Premier Annual Passport
                      D23 Charter Member

'09 - D23 Expo, Princess & the Frog preview, Magic & Merriment Weekend
                      '10 - 1st Anniversary Party, Roy Disney Tribute, Pollyanna screening, Toy Story Marathon, Disney Archives 40th Anniversary, Dateline Disneyland 1955, Secretariat preview, Destination D, Zorro screening, Tangled preview
                      '11 - Love is Magical, 2nd Anniversary Mixer, Absent Minded Professor screening, Destination D, Studio Tour, Sci-Fi Academy, D23 Expo (premier), Babes in Toyland screening, Magic & Merriment Weekend
                      '12 - Newsies screening, Journey to Marceline tour, Sister Act screening, Brave preview, Brave artists meet/greet/screening, Treasures Exhibit - Reagan Library preview, Timothy Green premiere, Destination D (diamond), Treasure Island screening, Magic & Merriment Weekend
                      '13 - El Capitan Peter Pan Panel & Screening, Disney Video Game Unveiling, Fanniversary, OZ preview, Son of Flubber screening, Summer Magic screening, Tiki Room 50th anniversary, D23 Expo (sorcerer), Sword in the Stone screening, Hocus Pocus screening, Frozen preview, 20,000 Leagues screening
                      '14 - Pirate Fairy screening, Rebel Rendezvous, Three Musketeers screening, Mr. Toad screening, Snow White screening, Big Hero 6 preview, Little Mermaid screening, Destination D
                      '15 - D23 Expo, Pinocchio screening,

Comment

They sell things at every event. Makes me wish they were having events out here lol Its a good way to get rid of excess.
                        Good morning, son
                        In twenty years from now
                        Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
                        And I can tell you 'bout today
                        And how I picked you up and everything changed
                        It was pain
                        Sunny days and rain
                        I knew you'd feel the same things...

sigpic

Comment

Aww. They said at the expo that the patches would not be put up for sale so I bought them on eBay...

I'm glad they're offering the merchandise, but I wish they would have some consistency in what they tell us.
                          "The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing" -Walt Disney

Comment

I don't mind them selling the extra stuff.

However, I wish they would do it online so that those that don't live near Florida or Southern CA could have a chance to purchase some of these items.

Comment

Originally posted by NeverNeverland View Post
                              They sell things at every event.
                              That is not true. They did not sell any at the Disneyland 1st Anniversary event.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X