• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cry Baby Closing on Broadway after only 113 performances

Noticed this on IMDB today:

http://www.imdb.com/news/ni0249746/
    Producers Cry Over Demise Of Cry Baby

19 June 2008 10:37 AM, PDT

John Waters' second attempt to transpose one of his quirky movies into a Broadway musical has failed. Producers of Cry Baby announced Wednesday that they plan to shut down the show on Sunday after 113 performances. The production had been unable to report a profit for any week since its opening in April. Bloomberg News indicated that the musical will likely lose its entire $10-million-plus capitalization. While personnel connected with the production said that word of mouth was positive, the show never was able to overcome dreadful reviews. Referring to Waters' earlier success with Hairspray, Bloomberg's John Simon had concluded, "Lightning does not strike twice." Ben Brantley in the New York Times dismissed it as "tasteless."

Re: Cry Baby Closing on Broadway after only 113 performances

That's too bad. Oh well.:wave:

Comment

aw...I would actually go see it if I was anywhere near it. That movie made me a JOhnny Depp fan. ~sigh~

Comment

I liked the movie, but it never had anywhere near the potential of Hairspray. It's a little obscure, and a little too oddball, I think. Still, it's too bad - it would have been fun to see, even if it wasn't a terribly strong show.
        You don't need me or my ham, cheese, cheese, cheese, tomato, cheese, ham and tomato sandwiches. And cheese.

Comment

Maybe if they got Johnny to make a guest appearance, that would boost the ticket sales.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X