Announcement

Collapse

Attention New Uber/Lyft Users

If you are planning to use Uber or Lyft anywhere in the US and have not already taken your first ride, you can use the following codes for a free or discounted first ride (amount varies by location). Uber - matthewb96 Lyft - matthewb96
See more
See less

Breaking Dawn Book Discussions [CONTAINS SPOILERS!!]

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #21
    Re: Breaking Dawn Book Discussions [CONTAINS SPOILERS!!]

    Dear Stephaine Meyers,


    If you write a fluff peiece thatreally has no meat to it, don't expect your readers to be happy once it's all over...and please don't cry...

    Krystle


    It, meaning this book, sounds like a salad, tastes good at first but doesn't fill you up, then when you start to digest it...well, you realize maybe it wasn't so good after all. I think i'll stick to my main course books, fills you up, leaves you wanting more and it digests just fine, nutrients and all.

    Comment


    • #22
      Re: Breaking Dawn Book Discussions [CONTAINS SPOILERS!!]

      I thought there was a lot of "meat" in this book. We got Bella and Edwards wedding and honeymoon, a crazy mystery birth, and the danger of the Volturi. I was guessing through the entire book, and there was the suspense when I thought Bella and Edward might die and Renesmee escapes to live on with Jacob. Sure, it was fluffy, but I guess I like fluff. It wasn't earth moving amazing, but I liked it.

      Comment


      • #23
        Re: Breaking Dawn Book Discussions [CONTAINS SPOILERS!!]

        Originally posted by krystledm View Post
        Dear Stephaine Meyers,


        If you write a fluff peiece thatreally has no meat to it, don't expect your readers to be happy once it's all over...and please don't cry...

        Krystle


        It, meaning this book, sounds like a salad, tastes good at first but doesn't fill you up, then when you start to digest it...well, you realize maybe it wasn't so good after all. I think i'll stick to my main course books, fills you up, leaves you wanting more and it digests just fine, nutrients and all.
        (Krystle don't hate me....)
        Who says fluff is bad? Sure there are times when you want something thick and meaty, but there are times when you want light and fluffy, in fiction and in food. Sometimes you don't want the steak, sometimes you want to go home get the mixer out and eat butter/sugar (like the first steps of cookie making, where you cream the butter and sugar together), straight out of the mixer. Same with reading I think. There are some days when you want to read the thick meaty steak like novel (and steak is hard to digest in your tummy... same with some books) and then there are those bad days when you want to read the equiviolent of creamed sugar/butter, and that's where this book fits, or this series fits.

        I dig fluff. I'll admit it. The bad chick-lit (not romance novels, but bad chick lit), is my sugar/butter. Nursing (and CNA-ing) is stressful and fluff keeps me sane. I don't like to see the dark side of humanity too much, so my entertainment is like chick lit, Radio Disney, the CW... all light and fluffy.

        Krystle-Jacob is good in this. You'll like him.

        Once again sorry for the babble... lots of thoughts on fluff lit.

        Comment


        • #24
          Re: Breaking Dawn Book Discussions [CONTAINS SPOILERS!!]

          Originally posted by DisneyRoyalty View Post
          I thought there was a lot of "meat" in this book. We got Bella and Edwards wedding and honeymoon, a crazy mystery birth, and the danger of the Volturi. I was guessing through the entire book, and there was the suspense when I thought Bella and Edward might die and Renesmee escapes to live on with Jacob. Sure, it was fluffy, but I guess I like fluff. It wasn't earth moving amazing, but I liked it.
          I agree. I think some people's definition of meat varies from the other.

          Originally posted by knittingknerd View Post
          (Krystle don't hate me....)
          Who says fluff is bad? Sure there are times when you want something thick and meaty, but there are times when you want light and fluffy, in fiction and in food. Sometimes you don't want the steak, sometimes you want to go home get the mixer out and eat butter/sugar (like the first steps of cookie making, where you cream the butter and sugar together), straight out of the mixer. Same with reading I think. There are some days when you want to read the thick meaty steak like novel (and steak is hard to digest in your tummy... same with some books) and then there are those bad days when you want to read the equiviolent of creamed sugar/butter, and that's where this book fits, or this series fits.

          I dig fluff. I'll admit it. The bad chick-lit (not romance novels, but bad chick lit), is my sugar/butter. Nursing (and CNA-ing) is stressful and fluff keeps me sane. I don't like to see the dark side of humanity too much, so my entertainment is like chick lit, Radio Disney, the CW... all light and fluffy.

          Krystle-Jacob is good in this. You'll like him.

          Once again sorry for the babble... lots of thoughts on fluff lit.
          I enjoy fluff as well. It's still a book to digest, you can even learn something from them. Like new words to increase your vocabulary. No matter what you read, whether it's thick and meaty or thin and fluffy, you still get something out of it.

          I don't enjoy meaty books all the time. But I don't bash them. Or their authour's.

          Bionic Village Babe of the RCMC
          "Wisdom is knowing what you don't know" - Socrates

          Comment


          • #25
            Re: Breaking Dawn Book Discussions [CONTAINS SPOILERS!!]

            Originally posted by <3WillTurner View Post
            I enjoy fluff as well. It's still a book to digest, you can even learn something from them. Like new words to increase your vocabulary. No matter what you read, whether it's thick and meaty or thin and fluffy, you still get something out of it.

            I don't enjoy meaty books all the time. But I don't bash them. Or their authour's.
            And meaty books have their time and place. And going in you know "Stephenie Meyers writes teen sci-fi fluff and it's yummy. She likes happy endings" so don't get all tush hurt when it is fluffy and has a happy ending.

            Comment


            • #26
              Re: Breaking Dawn Book Discussions [CONTAINS SPOILERS!!]

              i agree
              i like fluff, it adds more to the plot
              i was in suspence throughout the entire story
              and like how it ended. i was glad no one died! i was worried she would have edward and/or bella die, and what would happen to the one that lived?

              i was really surprised about the amout of people who didnt like it!
              i personally <33 it and plan to re-read it again (once i finish re-reading all the other books )
              ^Click them or they will die^

              Comment


              • #27
                Re: Breaking Dawn Book Discussions [CONTAINS SPOILERS!!]

                Originally posted by knittingknerd View Post
                And meaty books have their time and place. And going in you know "Stephenie Meyers writes teen sci-fi fluff and it's yummy. She likes happy endings" so don't get all tush hurt when it is fluffy and has a happy ending.
                Exactly! :cgrin:
                I went in knowing it was fluff, but that didn't dull the allure and taste for the rest after reading the first :ctongue:

                Originally posted by Ducks View Post
                i agree
                i like fluff, it adds more to the plot
                i was in suspence throughout the entire story
                and like how it ended. i was glad no one died! i was worried she would have edward and/or bella die, and what would happen to the one that lived?

                i was really surprised about the amout of people who didnt like it!
                i personally <33 it and plan to re-read it again (once i finish re-reading all the other books )
                I'm happy nobody died either :lol:
                ---
                As was I. But in a way I can understand. People just get a certain view of how things should go. And when they don't work as they wanted it to, they vent on the person they expected to bend to their desires.

                If everyone was 100% happy with the way any book is written, there would be no such thing as fan-fiction (unless it's just for fun to test new waters). Or role-play on a great majority of fan sites.

                Bionic Village Babe of the RCMC
                "Wisdom is knowing what you don't know" - Socrates

                Comment


                • #28
                  Re: Breaking Dawn Book Discussions [CONTAINS SPOILERS!!]

                  It's a Teen Romance novel.. what did people really expect? Death and destruction? Anyone who payed attention in the previous books would know that fluff is Stephenie's style! It was just as fluffy as I expected it to be. I liked it better the second time I read it, I was able to slow down (because I speed though books to see what happens next) and appreciate all the things I liked about it.

                  Comment


                  • #29
                    Re: Breaking Dawn Book Discussions [CONTAINS SPOILERS!!]

                    Same here. After reading it the second time I could read slower and appreciate the details and unique style she included.

                    Bionic Village Babe of the RCMC
                    "Wisdom is knowing what you don't know" - Socrates

                    Comment


                    • #30
                      Re: Breaking Dawn Book Discussions [CONTAINS SPOILERS!!]

                      I'm a day late, but here's Twilight Tuesday!

                      Stephenie Meyer Answers Your Burning 'Breaking Dawn' Questions
                      Author opens up about vampire-human anatomy, torturing her characters and what's next for the Cullens.



                      No doubt, many devoted Twilighters are already well into their third read of "Breaking Dawn," now that it's been out for a full week and a half. But no matter how many times you delve into the final installment of the "Twilight" series, there are burning questions left to be answered.

                      Stephenie Meyer couldn't reveal much when we spoke to her before the book's release, so we cornered her one more time and hit her with the queries you submitted in the MTV Movies Blog.

                      (Just in case you've been locked in a subterranean hideout, far from any bookstores, SPOILER ALERT!)

                      Though she's been enduring complaints about "Breaking Dawn" from a very vocal minority, the author said she was relieved to be able to talk about the novel after keeping it a secret for so long. Here, she opens up about the technicalities of Bella's pregnancy, the original "Forever Dawn" version of the story, the future of the "Twilight" universe and more. (Meyer reveals her suggestion for two "Dawn" movies in the MTV Movies blog.)

                      Question:Stephenie Meyer: Actually, I was engaged more than once. I had my runaway-bride moment. Maybe there was some of that, although it's really different, because it wasn't the right person [for me] to marry. With Bella, there's no question in her mind that she's going to end up with Edward. It's all about people's perceptions, which is a really silly thing for her to worry about. ... I knew she was going to be with Edward. I wrote this story before I wrote "New Moon" and "Eclipse," and that relationship [with Jacob] actually went a lot farther than I thought it would.

                      Question:Meyer: One of the longest things about this last year is that I've been reading all these quotes that people have been attributing to me that I never said. I had a rough draft of [this story] by the beginning of 2004, so before I ever did a tour or answered any questions or did an interview, I knew where the story was going. ... When people said, "Hey, can vampires have babies?" I always said no, because female vampires don't change at all, and it takes a lot of change for your body to accommodate a fetus, so it's not possible. But I never said anything about the part that I knew was coming. ... It is true ... there's a whole chromosomal-count difference, but venom works a lot of different ways, so for me, it always worked just fine.

                      Question:Meyer: In the first rough draft, it was Bella throughout the entire story. There's this section of the story where Bella's pretty much stuck on a couch and is not part of anything that's going on, and she's just hearing about it from the outside, and it's boring! ... So when I went back to do this, I realized that where the action was, was something we can only get through the first-person perspective of Jacob. And once I made that decision, I was really glad I had, because that was the most fun section to write out of the whole story.

                      Question:Meyer: A story has to have an element of danger and hazard. If there isn't a risk, if there isn't something that goes wrong, there's no story. But no, the pregnancy wasn't a punishment. When you're writing characters, one of the things you do to make it interesting is you push them past their limits, and that's when the story gets exciting. Sadly, it's kind of fun to torture your characters.

                      Question:Meyer: Bella's really the only vampire who went into it knowing what to expect, being mentally prepared and on guard for her reactions. And she's a naturally stubborn person, which helps when you make up your mind to do something.

                      Question:Meyer: No, it represents Bella and Bella. ... Bella starts out as the weakest player on the board, and she ends up as the one who decides the outcome of the story. She becomes the most powerful player, and I really liked that metaphor. I liked seeing her evolution in one picture.

                      Question:Meyer: They had a good chance of holding their own, not winning. There wouldn't have been a lot of people walking away from that. And because I'm kind of a happy-ending girl, I didn't want the "Hamlet" ending, where everyone's dead on the floor, and one person's standing there giving their monologue about what they've learned. I wanted it to be something that could be won, so I set it up to be a mental game.

                      Question:Meyer:

                      Question:Meyer:

                      Question: If Nessie's not able to have children on her own ...

                      Meyer: [Interrupts the question.] Here we're going off way into the future. For all intents and purposes, "Breaking Dawn" is the last book. It might easily happen that I quit here. There'd be a lot of good reasons for doing that, so I don't know if we need to get into all the future possibilities and speculations, 'cause I'll just go crazy, and I'm so close already!

                      Question:Meyer:

                      Question:Meyer: This is the moment, after all of these years, that Edward really gets to understand how Bella feels about him, and they're finally, truly seeing eye-to-eye for just that moment. For me, it was like four books of buildup for this moment, and it was great.

                      Video URL:
                      http://www.mtv.com/overdrive/?id=1592581&vid=265349

                      Bionic Village Babe of the RCMC
                      "Wisdom is knowing what you don't know" - Socrates

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X