X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newsies Stage Production in Development

Hi everybody,

I have such great news for all of you Newsies fans out there. The Disney Theatrical Productions is developing a stage version of Newsies.

I found three links. Check it out:

http://animated-views.com/2008/encha...d-danny-troob/

http://www.laughingplace.com/News-HID.asp?ID=29792

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...in+Development+

Don't know when will it come on Broadway, but it sounds like a good sign. It maybe a Tony winner. And maybe Alan Menken will finally win a Tony Award. YAY!:yea:

In the meantime, there are more upcoming projects from Disney Theatrical Production. Such as The Man In the Ceiling, Peter & the Starcatchers which will premiere at the La Jolla Playhouse in February 2009, and thinking to bring The Hunchback of Notre Dame to Broadway. Yes it's a musical version from Berlin.

Re: Newsies Stage Production in Development

Sorry, I'm not sure where on those sites it says it? I just did a text search and didn't see any mention of it? Help?
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NeverNeverland View Post
      Sorry, I'm not sure where on those sites it says it? I just did a text search and didn't see any mention of it? Help?
      Here you go,

AV: Can you tell me a little about your upcoming projects?
      AM: Sure. Beside Little Mermaid opening on Broadway, Sister Act is being rewritten. It had opened in Los Angeles and in Atlanta last year and now it’s gonna be coming to London next fall and we’re rewriting into that. It’s gonna be directed by Peter Schneider, as you know, former executive at Disney Feature Animation. And Leap of Faith will be opening on Broadway in the 2008-2009 season, being directed by Taylor Hackford, who is of course known as the director of Ray, An Officer and A Gentleman, and producer of La Bamba, etc. He’s got this incredible track record and of course, it’s a director who works a lot with music. And I love working with him. And then Stephen Schwartz and I are looking some possibilities: another filmed musical, a stage version of Newsies and we’re looking at doing maybe another theatrical production of Hunchback of Notre Dame. So it’s a pretty busy plate for me!

Among the projects currently under development by Disney Theatrical Productions is a "Peter and the Starcatchers" which will get its first public showcase in a no-critics run this spring as part of the Page to Stage program at the La Jolla Playhouse. Also mentioned in the article as developing are projects based on Jules Pfeiffer's book "The Man in the Ceiling" and a stage version of the movie musical "Newsies."

Meanwhile, development of new tuners continues. Properties being explored or developed for legit treatment include Jules Pfeiffer's' book "The Man in the Ceiling," Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson's "Peter Pan" prequel "Peter and the Starcatchers" and the 1992 tuner pic "Newsies."

Comment

Thanks!!!
        Sounds like they're more exploring the opportunity which doesn't sound too hopeful to me LOL
        Good morning, son
        In twenty years from now
        Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
        And I can tell you 'bout today
        And how I picked you up and everything changed
        It was pain
        Sunny days and rain
        I knew you'd feel the same things...

sigpic

Comment

Hey, think of this....the movie of Xanadu was a flop. But on the Broadway version of Xanadu was a huge hit. This will be the same thing for Newsies. As long they use the perfect creative including Alan Menken, David Ortega, and maybe to find a perfect bookwriter. Like maybe we should give Doug Wright another chance. Or maybe Thomas Meehan or Douglas Carter Beane. Or someone knows how to make a New York Accent.

Comment

YAY!!!! I love Newsies!!!!! This would totally rock! I wonder if they'd get the cast of the movie to go to the premiere and stuff!!

My best score ever!

Comment

I wonder if this production will seize the day, or atleast seize the approval of the producers .

Comment

Originally posted by Disney Wrassler View Post
                I wonder if this production will seize the day, or atleast seize the approval of the producers .
                LOL!:lol:Good one.

Comment

Originally posted by TsWade2 View Post
                  Hunchback of Notre Dame.
                  This excites me a whole heap more than (stifles yawn) Newsies.
                  WDW - 1987 & 1991
                  DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
                  DLR - October 2011

Comment

I would LOVE to see Newsies on stage!!!! :thumbup:

WooHOO! I Think the mere possibility that this is being explored is great news!
                    --Jonathan

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X