X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A-Ha is calling it quits

The Associated Press: `80s pop sensation a-ha to call it quits

WTF? They recently released their best album since 1986 and they're calling it quits? Ok I know probably most of you here only know them for "Take On Me" (which honestly was not even their best song), but they've been HUGE over in Europe & Scandinavia ever since. They were supposed to tour here in the US for the first time in like 23 years with Simple Minds, but apparently that fell through. So now they're going to do a world tour on their own as a farewell thingy, but apparently this "world tour" doesn't include the US. Sucks. I am not happy.

Re: A-Ha is calling it quits

Didn't they call it quits like 20 years ago?

I had absolutely no idea they were still around.

Comment

I liked 'The Sun Always Shines on TV' better than 'Take on Me'. I thought this group called it quits over 10 years ago.
      Growing older is manditory
      Growing up is however, optional

Comment

Nope they never called it quits. They had some individual projects they all worked on, but they never split up. They've always played to huge sell-out crowds over in Europe and especially Scandinavia.

I liked 'The Sun Always Shines on TV' better than 'Take on Me'.
        Oh me too! That's my favorite song on "Hunting High and Low".

Comment

Originally posted by sir clinksalot View Post
          Didn't they call it quits like 20 years ago?

I had absolutely no idea they were still around.

Same here, I thought they quit like after "Take On Me".
          "You are watching FOX"

Comment

Originally posted by MickeyMousePal View Post
            Same here, I thought they quit like after "Take On Me".
            I knew they at least were around long enough to perform the theme to the James Bond film "The Living Daylights". One of my favorites.

Comment

That's disappointing news. Their albums in the last 10 years have been their absolute best... Minor Earth Major Sky, Lifelines, Analogue. Foot of the Mountain seemed like a farewell album when I first heard it, with the theme of 'endings' sort of running through it. I'm not sure why bands feel the need to break up when they can just take as many years off between albums as they want, seemingly going on forever like the Stones.

Comment

It's really sad they didn't really do well here in the US, fizzling out after one big hit. But as I've already posted, they've constantly remained HUGE in Europe and especially their native Norway and Scandinavia.

And for those who didn't know, the James Bond theme they did, "The Living Daylights" was on their 3rd album, "Stay on These Roads". Really one of the better 007 themes of that decade too (behind Duran Duran's "A View to a Kill", but I digress).

Some bands have the stamina/capacity to just keep plugging along. I think U2 is going to be my generation's version of the Rolling Stones. They're going to keep going until they have to be wheeled out onstage and even that probably wouldn't stop them. :lol:

But I'm just sad because I've been waiting over 20 years to see A-Ha and now it looks like I'm never going to get that chance. Then again I thought the same of The Police, but that short-lived reunion was nothing short of a major miracle.

And just because...

(embedding disabled on this one, but it's the new single, Foot of the Mountain)
                [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIzY97nJBjE]YouTube - a-ha - Foot Of The Mountain: Video[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYVK9jfptjM]YouTube - The Sun Always Shines On TV[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjvVj9-4k0o]YouTube - A-ha - Living Daylights[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtirgDYhW3A]YouTube - a-ha hunting high and low live[/ame]

Comment

I have the 45 (remember those?) for the Living Daylights, and I rank it in the top ten best James Bond pop song themes.

1. A View to a Kill - Duran Duran
                  2. Live and Let Die - Paul McCartney (sorry Paul)
                  3. Nobody Does It Better - Carly Simon
                  4. Living Daylights - A-ha
                  5. For Your Eye's Only - Sheena Easton
                  6. Goldfinger - Shirley Bassie

Comment

No clue they were still around lol
                    Good morning, son
                    In twenty years from now
                    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
                    And I can tell you 'bout today
                    And how I picked you up and everything changed
                    It was pain
                    Sunny days and rain
                    I knew you'd feel the same things...

sigpic

Comment

See? Here in the US, no one knew they were still around, yet over in Europe they were selling out stadiums for the last 20+ years. They were marketed very poorly in America. Such a shame because they had so many songs that were LIGHT YEARS better than "Take On Me".

Comment

Originally posted by aimster View Post
                        I think U2 is going to be my generation's version of the Rolling Stones. They're going to keep going until they have to be wheeled out onstage and even that probably wouldn't stop them. :lol:
                        Well they're currently in the mid-70s Stones "terrible albums" phase!

Sorry, but their new album massively dissapointed me. The one before wasn't any great shakes either. But I'm also an oddball U2 fan- my favorite albums are all from Achtung Baby thru All That You Can't Leave Behind.

But yeah, back to A-Ha, sucks they're breaking up, I wish they did more in the US, and made a great Bond theme.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Bungle View Post
                          Well they're currently in the mid-70s Stones "terrible albums" phase!

Sorry, but their new album massively dissapointed me. The one before wasn't any great shakes either. But I'm also an oddball U2 fan- my favorite albums are all from Achtung Baby thru All That You Can't Leave Behind.

But yeah, back to A-Ha, sucks they're breaking up, I wish they did more in the US, and made a great Bond theme.
                          It seems almost every other U2 album isn't up to par. "Atomic Bomb" was awesome, but "No Line on the Horizon" is disappointing. It's still a good album in general, but just an ok U2 album. So I'm with you there. But I think my favorite U2 albums are the old ones... Boy, War, October, Unforgettable Fire...

And yeah, as I posted already, it saddens me a-Ha didn't do better in the States after the mega success of "Take On Me". I still say that wasn't even their best song on that album. Sure the video was groundbreaking but...

Comment

At least it generated an awesome Reel Big Fish cover!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZ4S-UiNmzo"]YouTube - Reel Big Fish - Take on Me[/ame]

Comment

I never heard that cover before. Not bad.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X