The Hunchback of Notre Dame Cast Album in the Works

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• News The Hunchback of Notre Dame Cast Album in the Works

BroadwayWorld has just learned that Paper Mill Playhouse's recent production of THE HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME, based on the novel by Victor Hugo and the Disney animated film, will get a cast recording.

This news comes less than two weeks after it was announced that the show will not be transferring to Broadway.
    Shayne Austin Miller, Director of Press and Public Relations for Paper Mill, commented to BWW exclusively, "We are extremely proud of this production, but it never had any plans following the Paper Mill Playhouse run."
    Exclusive: THE HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME Cast Album in the Works!
    sigpic

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

A preview of the OCR being recorded.

sigpic

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

Comment

Yay! I'll definitely be buying this. It will go nicely with my OST to the Disney film and Cast recording of Der Glockner von Notre Dame. If you ever have some time to do some digging on YouTube, I highly recommend watching some clips from that production. Wonderfully dark, just how that story should be told!
      The Few, The Proud, The Fans Fan of Light Magic!

Walt Disney World College Program, Spring 2005, Entertainment

Comment

^I'm the same, I was already sold on it, but for those who aren't yet, here's a longer featurette, showcasing some of the new songs.

sigpic

Walt Disney

Comment

I saw this in San Diego and I'm go glad I did, what an amazing show. I love the studio recording.
          Jeff Wayne

Comment

Got the OCR yesterday. A wonderful recording - they really did a good job.

Admittedly, I'm not overly keen on some of the changes. Things like the change to Frollo (and the inclusion of his brother) are understandable. And likewise the ditching of Victor, Hugo and Laverne. However I wonder if their decision to head back in the direction of the book (and therefore a darker tone) may have been a little too much? In some places it felt like it lost the joie de vivre of the animated film. Granted though, they are really separate products that happen to share common characters and songs, so they should perhaps not be compared side by side.

Perhaps I'm still reminded of how well they adapted Sister Act to the stage. The conversion of that managed to take the original source and seamlessly add the musically element.

Other than that, and a couple of other minor gripes, it's still a great production and album. The choral parts give you chills, and with Olim being the opening number it sets the tone from the get go.
            sigpic

Walt Disney

Comment

Originally posted by Hathaway Browne View Post
              Got the OCR yesterday. A wonderful recording - they really did a good job.

Admittedly, I'm not overly keen on some of the changes. Things like the change to Frollo (and the inclusion of his brother) are understandable. And likewise the ditching of Victor, Hugo and Laverne. However I wonder if their decision to head back in the direction of the book (and therefore a darker tone) may have been a little too much? In some places it felt like it lost the joie de vivre of the animated film. Granted though, they are really separate products that happen to share common characters and songs, so they should perhaps not be compared side by side.

Perhaps I'm still reminded of how well they adapted Sister Act to the stage. The conversion of that managed to take the original source and seamlessly add the musically element.

Other than that, and a couple of other minor gripes, it's still a great production and album. The choral parts give you chills, and with Olim being the opening number it sets the tone from the get go.
              You really have to view the musical as a different adaptation of the animated film. I was surprised when I saw the show that none of the promotional item said "Disney's" Hunchback of Notre Dame, which suggested to me they were trying to market this as an adult show vs when you see things as The Lion King, Little Mermaid, etc. The stage show was brilliant and I'm shocked that it won't be going to Broadway.
              Jeff Wayne

Comment

Working...
              X