Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• News Little Mermaid (Live) Has Been Cast

Halle Bailey has officially been cast to play, Ariel, in the live production of, The Little Mermaid.

Being that this Disney Princess is my all-time favorite princess, I have my strong opinions about the casting of this character.

But I'm curious, what do YOU think?

DISNEYLAND IS YOUR LAND

I've never heard of her before and apparently she's a singer so that's definitely a good thing. As opposed to Beauty and the Beast which I think was badly miscast by going with Emma Watson. I prefer the lesser knowns for these roles. Cinderella live action for example. Obviously Halle doesn't look like the image of the Ariel we are all accustomed to seeing. Is her hair going to be red?

Comment

welp, I'll always have the animated classic and my..umm..fantasies...
      L + L = R

Comment

My opinion: Disney, stop remaking your old movies and come up with something new. All these live-action remakes are just pointless to me.

Having said that, my only real concerns are whether or not she can sing and act. That's what will make or break the performance. I don't think it really matters what she looks like.

DL Trips: '78, '84, '89, '90, '91, '96, '03, '06, '07(x2), '08, '10(x2), '12, '14, '15, '16, '17, '18
        DW Trips: '08
        International parks: Some day...

Comment

Originally posted by DrAlice View Post
          My opinion: All these live-action remakes are just pointless to me.
          This.

And really, anyone who has any kind of problem with this casting decision needs to get their priorities straight

Comment

At first I read it as Halle Berry, and my first thought was, “She’s kinda old for Ariel.”

Comment

Is this for a live action movie of The Little Mermaid or are you talking about a show at Disneyland?

Comment

I thought this was a new show for the Hyperion in DCA .... since this topic is in the “parks” section of the forums.
                MY SIGNATURE:
                Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

Comment

Originally posted by Ttgal4 View Post
                  At first I read it as Halle Berry, and my first thought was, “She’s kinda old for Ariel.”
                  I did too .............

HALLE BERRY .............

HALLE BAILEY ...............

Because of their choice ... I wonder if the setting won't be Denmark of the 19th Century. That is if it's a black cast. No clue ... but .. also .. since it's a fantasy ... doesn't matter what race they'll be.
                  MY SIGNATURE:
                  Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

Comment

Originally posted by theatremouse View Post
                    Is this for a live action movie of The Little Mermaid or are you talking about a show at Disneyland?
                    Originally posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
                    I thought this was a new show for the Hyperion in DCA .... since this topic is in the “parks” section of the forums.
                    It's about the live-action movie, as reported today in Variety and Hollywood Reporter.

The thread has nothing to do with DLR. (It has been flagged for PhotoMatt to move it to the "Walt Disney Pictures" forum.)
                    "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                    it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                    together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                    designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                    - Michael Eisner

Comment

My opinion: Disney, stop remaking your old movies and come up with something new. All these live-action remakes are just pointless to me.
                      I agree. Disney live action movies copy Disney animated movies. Disney animated movies copy Disney live action movies. Disney stage shows copy Disney animated movies. Disney TV animation series copy Disney animated movies. Disney theme park rides copy Disney animated movies. Disney live action movies copy Disney theme park rides. And so it goes, with Iger following the money-making formula that Eisner established in the 80s.

As Chapek said in his video, "It’s very symbiotic."

The big question for the future is, when will audiences say "enough?"
                      "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                      it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                      together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                      designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                      - Michael Eisner

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

I agree. Disney live action movies copy Disney animated movies. Disney animated movies copy Disney live action movies. Disney stage shows copy Disney animated movies. Disney TV animation series copy Disney animated movies. Disney theme park rides copy Disney animated movies. Disney live action movies copy Disney theme park rides. And so it goes, with Iger following the money-making formula that Eisner established in the 80s.

As Chapek said in his video, "It’s very symbiotic."

The big question for the future is, when will audiences say "enough?"
                        I get your point, and agree with it. Having said that, the remakes for stage shows (or theme park rides) don't bother me. Perhaps because it is a different experience and medium. I feel like you gain something when you see a familiar story on stage. The experience is just different. Going from animated movie to live-action movie and vice versa (especially when they are scene for scene identical in many parts) doesn't add anything to the experience. But, you are right, people are still going to theaters to watch them. Easy money.
                        DL Trips: '78, '84, '89, '90, '91, '96, '03, '06, '07(x2), '08, '10(x2), '12, '14, '15, '16, '17, '18
                        DW Trips: '08
                        International parks: Some day...

Comment

Having said that, my only real concerns are whether or not she can sing and act. That's what will make or break the performance. I don't think it really matters what she looks like.
                          I agree! It's really getting old that Disney is remaking nearly every single animated feature into a live-action film. These movies are already masterpieces. They don't NEED to be remade! And so far, none of the live-action remakes have lived up to the originals or really added anything that needed adding.

I will say that I did find Aladdin much more tolerable than Beauty and the Beast. I'd even go as far as to say it was enjoyable, though again, not better than the original, and certainly not something that was NEEDED. The difference between these two films was that BATB went for big names to draw the crowds, whereas with Aladdin, they got people who could actually sing. And, go figure, in a musical,that makes all the difference. There's a reason that when you audition for any kind of musical theatre, the very first thing they have you do is sing. I'm glad Disney is learning that, at least.

I don't know anything about Halle Bailey, but I hope she can at least sing. I mean, she's ARIEL!
                          I also heard a rumor that Melissa McCarthy was being considered to play Ursula, and if that happens...this may be one film I don't go to see. Nothing against her or her acting, but imagining her as Ursula just does not compute in my brain.

Comment

Disney remaking nearly every single animated feature
                            into a live-action film does noting for me....
                            Being animated feature is being First Class - in ART form
                            and
                            having them live (((is not the same ,IMO
                            Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

I seem to recall about 20 years ago Brandy being cast as Cinderella in a Disney made for TV movie. Granted it was the Rogers and Hammerstein Cinderella, but it was still produced by Disney so it’s nothing new to them. Personally I’m looking forward to this.

Comment

Just saw this picture of her and happy to see her hair was still red. She looks great, really looking forward to this one! I enjoy these remakes, thought Beauty and the Beast was a let down due to Belle choice, but the others I've seen were well done.
                                Click image for larger version

Name:	D-lKvxOVAAAjAoZ.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	153.8 KB
ID:	8593517

Comment

Chris Evans is one of the rumored actors to play Eric, with the other being Noah Centineo.

I'll be honest, if Tituss Burgess doesn't reprise his role of Sebastian, I will throw a Titus Andromedon fit.

Comment

The remakes are my (non)guilty pleasure.

if anything this type of casting is better use of the remake. Go in a different direction since you can.

Comment

Originally posted by Fenix View Post
                                      Just saw this picture of her and happy to see her hair was still red. She looks great, really looking forward to this one! I enjoy these remakes, thought Beauty and the Beast was a let down due to Belle choice, but the others I've seen were well done.
                                      Click image for larger version

Name:	D-lKvxOVAAAjAoZ.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	153.8 KB
ID:	8593517
                                      She looks just like the cartoon version of Ariel ~ eyes rolling ~

Comment

Working...
                                      X