This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite Jane Austen book

I have been a fan of the BBC version of Pride and Prejudice for a couple of years now (how can you not fall in love with it...and with Mr. Darcy as portrayed by Colin Firth), and Sense and Sensibility has long been one of my favorite movies, but until last month I had never read any of her books. Now I can happily say I have read all six Jane Austen books, and am deeply saddened that there are not more to enjoy.

My question for all of you Austenites is, which book is your favorite?

I think I have to reread them all to get a better idea, but just by my first quick read through I would say Pride and Prejudice. I fear that I may myself be prejudiced however by my adoration of Darcy/Firth. So just assuming that I will forever have a special fondness for that book and taking it out of the running, I think I enjoyed reading Persuasion the most out of the remaining five. That letter at the end made my heart ache from happiness! I loved it. But it is a hard choice for me because I loved them all.

Re: Favorite Jane Austen book

Pride and Prejudice for me. Her sense of humor is so acute in it and I loooove Mr. Bennett so much. He's a great character, funny and flawed.

Next is Emma. Again, it's a bit funny here and there and Emma is so flawed, I love her.

My daughter has read all six and says P&P is her favorite followed by Emma as well.

Comment

I do love Emma. I've read that Austen said that Emma was a character that only she could love, but I think she's an amazing character. She is flawed, but she always learns and grows from her mistake, which I find to be such a great characteristic in a person.

Comment

Mansfield Park is my favorite. Followed by a tie between Pride and Prejudice and Emma. But then I really love Northanger Abbey. I have to be in the right mood to appreciate Persuasion and Sense and Sensiblilty would be my least favorite.

Comment

Originally posted by stinkerbell View Post
          Pride and Prejudice for me. Her sense of humor is so acute in it and I loooove Mr. Bennett so much. He's a great character, funny and flawed.

Next is Emma. Again, it's a bit funny here and there and Emma is so flawed, I love her.
          These are also my two favorites and for much the same reasons. Elizabeth Bennett is my favorite heroine. She has brains, spirit and a fine sense of humor. The only Jane book I really don't care for is Mansfield Park. I try and I try but I just can't bring myself to like it. Fanny is just a drip.

Comment

Pride. I LOVE that book. It was the first Austen I read. I just love Elizabeth Bennett...I guess I made a connection with her because of her love of reading, her relationship with her father, and her sensible nature. She's an amazing character....so lifelike. And who wouldn't fall for the connection between her and Mr. Darcy? Good book!

Comment

Mine would have to be Sense and Sensibility. I love Colonel Brandon!!

Comment

I can't choose one. I think Sense and Sensibilty would be the first on my list. Then mansfield park, then pride and prejudice.
                " It takes a lot of courage to love with your whole heart something that you know is temporary."
                - Nyree Emory(dear friend)

Comment

Pride & Prejudice is number one in my court, followed by Sense & Sensibility.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X