This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most Underrated System

What is, in your opinion the most underrated video game system.

Not as a component (PS3) or a "Kids system" (GC). But the Overshadowed systems that maybe weren't loved by "Gamers" as much as they should have.
    ColecoVision
    5.26%
    Intellivision
    7.89%
    Sega Game Gear
    5.26%
    TurboGrafx-16
    5.26%
    Sega Saturn
    10.53%
    Sega Dreamcast
    23.68%
    Nintendo GameCube
    31.58%
    Xbox (the original)
    2.63%
    Playstation 3
    2.63%
    Other
    5.26%

Re: Most Underrated System

This is the way I look at it:

ColecoVision and Intellivision were both greatly overshadowed by the Atari 2600 and 5200. And for good reason.
    But Intellivision had some great games, although I never could quite understand what the number pad was for. ColecoVision also had some great games.

GameGear was VERY overshadowed by the GameBoy. Which one is still around (to an extent) and which one is gone?

Turbografx just had nowhere to go and nobody to buy it because everybody had either an SNES or Sega, or both. I think this is VERY similar to the PS3 of today. A superior system from a technological standpoint, but it's pricing strategy ($399 for a Turbografix CD all the way back in 1989) and limited catalogue made it die.

Sega Saturn had the same problems with a high price-point ($399) and limited games due to it's rush to beat the Playstation. We all know who won that battle.

And of course, we all know the Dreamcast had similar issues (not with price) but competition with the PS2.

Which brings us to the GameCube. It took 3rd place not only in sales behind the PS2 and Xbox, but also 3rd in the minds of many. For me, I loved the GameCube. Not only did it have great games, but the playability was very simple. For me, I think this is the most underrated.

It's funny to me, looking at the history of failed systems that Sony is seemingly repeating the mistakes of others who they wiped out in the 90's with the PS3.

Comment

I had the Turbografix-16. I loved it. I thought that it was never as popular as it should have been. I was the only person in my entire class to have one when I was in elementary school. I used to love the game Bonk's Adventure. I liked it as much as Super Mario Bros and Sonic the Hedgehog.
      Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally
      Golly, what a day

Comment

Sega Saturn. had some rad action RPG's on it and Iron storm was one of the most amazing games at the time. however with it going head to head with the PS1... it had no chance.

Comment

I loved my Dreamcast.

Comment

I would agree with Sega Dreamcast.

Anybody else have, or had, a 3DO? I have one, for which I have an astounding one game library.

Comment

I voted for the cube. Had a lot of exclusives such as the Metal Gear Remake, Eternal Darkness, Rougue Squadron etc.. that never got the lime light that they deserved.
              Everybody's got a laughin' place-
              trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it.

Comment

Originally posted by lazyboy97O View Post
                I would agree with Sega Dreamcast.

Anybody else have, or had, a 3DO? I have one, for which I have an astounding one game library.

I totally still have my 3do! I totally think the downfall of the 3do was the the jumpstart for the sony playstation. I swear when the playstation first came out half of its game library was ports from the 3do...

3do still had the best road rash game of all time! Ever play quarantine? Loved that game!

Comment

Its the Saturn and the Dreamcast, for anyone wondering why you can look stuff up but heres a quickie:

Saturn a high powered 2D Sprite device that can outperform the PSOne at anything 2D wise.

Dreamcast has twice the Video Ram as the PS2 and can output a better picture quality in full 640 x 480 in P Scan and most games on it run in P Scan EDTV.

Comment

Current consoles: PS3. It has some good games now, it's the most powerful thing on the market... There's a LOT of room for improvement, but what console doesn't? Just wait a little and I'm sure that they'll bring plenty of great games to us in the near future. After all, PS2's game selection was pretty bad for a couple of years after launch. Look what happened.

Classics:

Sega Master System - Technically better than the NES. It just lacked the third party support that Nintendo had.

Virtual Boy - Warioland was a great game. There were some other nifty games released, too. Unfortunately, it suffered from some major design flaws -- monochrome I can understand. Red monochrome?! That was the worst of their decisions.

Dreamcast - yay for emulation! Love the ability to burn emulations of classic consoles and boot them on the dreamcast.

Game Gear - It was quite the ultimate travel package -- TV Tuner accessory, Sega Master System adapter, and lots of great games kept me busy for hours on the road as a kid. (I didn't rely on the power-hungry abilities of the 6 AA batteries.)
                    -Tim

Comment

You left off the N64. It was a great system that brought 3D gaming into our lives, analog control and rumble. Plus it did have some awesome games..just not enough of them. I still boot up my N64 though to play Mario Kart, Perfect Dark and THQ's old wrestling games.
                      For this poll though I voted for the Gamecube. It was a powerful little system that didnt get the props it deserved. Games like Metroid Prime, Wind Waker, the Metal Gear Remake and the Resident Evil games were awesome.
                      Out of the NIGHT....
                      When the full moon is BRIGHT!!
                      Comes a horseman known as ZORRO!!!
                      ---------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by sir clinksalot View Post
                        This is the way I look at it:

ColecoVision and Intellivision were both greatly overshadowed by the Atari 2600 and 5200. And for good reason.
                        Dunno about good reason. Part of it was price and glut of games. Putting up an atari 2600 game vs a Colecovision game is like putting Pong up against Doom.

The Colecovision was bringing virtually identical games from the arcade home. That was its strong point. Intellivision had more complex controllers (but were not very reliable). Intellivision had the voice add-on tho.... Beee Seventeen BOOOOOMMMBBBBER

But Intellivision had some great games, although I never could quite understand what the number pad was for.
                        You had overlays that came with the games, you inserted them over the keypad area and that labeled all your controls.

There was an atari space game I had that had an add-on controller like that as well.. whose name escapes me right now.

Which brings us to the GameCube. It took 3rd place not only in sales behind the PS2 and Xbox, but also 3rd in the minds of many. For me, I loved the GameCube. Not only did it have great games, but the playability was very simple. For me, I think this is the most underrated.
                        The gamecube has a great controller and has great Nintendo games behind it. The problem was after Sony won with the 'mature' gaming and all the realism that was becoming popular and violence becoming more accepted in gaming.. the GC was pigeonholed from the start and then it's technical limitations held it back. Simply put.. GC was considered a kid's system in the market Sony had matured through PS1 to PS2.

It's funny to me, looking at the history of failed systems that Sony is seemingly repeating the mistakes of others who they wiped out in the 90's with the PS3.
                        Exactly.. with the biggest being PRICE POINT. Hopefully they'll get that figured out in the next 18 months.

Originally posted by zugzug15 View Post
                        I totally still have my 3do! I totally think the downfall of the 3do was the the jumpstart for the sony playstation
                        Simply put... PRICE POINT and emphasis on video capabilities.

I voted for Coleco... for its time it had the best games but few had it as gaming was still not that widespread. The Pistol Grip controller was pretty damn cool too

Comment

Originally posted by flynnibus View Post

Simply put... PRICE POINT and emphasis on video capabilities.

I voted for Coleco... for its time it had the best games but few had it as gaming was still not that widespread. The Pistol Grip controller was pretty damn cool too

The 3do had awesome video capabilities. What I meant was that 3d0 was on its way out when the sony/sega war started and sony swooped in and picked up half its library which game sony an advantage out the gate!

Comment

Originally posted by zugzug15 View Post
                            The 3do had awesome video capabilities. What I meant was that 3d0 was on its way out when the sony/sega war started and sony swooped in and picked up half its library which game sony an advantage out the gate!
                            3DO came out when Full Motion Video was all the buzz... which was all hype and no game play (Sega CD anyone???) and they incorporated the stupid Phillips Video CD format. The system was virtually dead as a doornail from day one due to the stupid price of $700.

An interesting system that suffered from the same pain is the NEO-GEO. Trying to repackage the arcade platform in the home never took off due to the costs - yet many games remained popular through the late 90s on the platform in the arcade cabinet.

Comment

the GC was pigeonholed from the start and then it's technical limitations held it back.
                              the GC was slightly more powerful than the PS2. The only real limitations were the mini DVD's although some companies got around that by releasing multiple discs.
                              Out of the NIGHT....
                              When the full moon is BRIGHT!!
                              Comes a horseman known as ZORRO!!!
                              ---------------------------------------

Comment

I put my votes down for Sega Dreamcast and Gamecube.

With the Dreamcast it had a good amount of games that were really good, so it was a real bummer when it was discontinued.

As for the Gamecube, sure it had a rocky start but it really pumped out some fantastic games. Wind Waker, Rouge Squadron and the biggest title for me...RE4.
                                Disney and Universal fan for life!...Shocking ain't it?
                                Seize the future with X-S! Not Stitch.
                                I'm not crazy, now if you will excuse me I have tea time with the ghosts at Haunted Mansion.

Comment

My vote goes to Gamecube. It had some really good titles throughout its life span.

Comment

Working...
                                  X