• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sir clinksalot
    MiceChatter
    • Feb 2005

Okay Gamers, which PS3 is right for me?

So I think we've decided were going to get a PS3. It's mainly for the Blu-Ray and Rock Band. We got the game for the Wii, love it, but I hate the fact that it doesn't contain Downloadable Content. There are SO many songs I want to play that I can't right now.

SO the plan is to trade in the Wii Rock Band, PS2 (maybe) and get a PS3 and Rock Band for the PS3.

I would prefer to have one with Backwards compatability to the PS2, so that's the 60GB correct? They seem to be going for the same price as the 80GB (probably due to that fact).

If I can't have Backwards compatability, I will probably just go with the 40GB hard drive, those are running at $350 (refurbished).

So what should I do? Will I get ANYTHING for my PS2? And if not, will it even be worth it to pay the extra $100 for backwards compatability? My guess would be no.

This won't be happening for another week or 2 (at least) but I kind of wanted to get all of your opinions.

• zugzug15
    Master of Disaster
    • Jan 2005

Re: Okay Gamers, which PS3 is right for me?

this should help you make the choice.

Comment

• Browncoat
      'splosions
      • Apr 2006

buy the Metal Gear Solid 4 bundle with the 80gb PS3.

BC, a great game and alot of hard disk space. look no further
      PSN: ItsTheRocketeer
      Nintendo Network: ItsTheRocketeer
      3DS: 3050-7580-4526

Comment

• Chernabog
        Earth Intruder
        • Jan 2005

I like the backwards compatibility and the fact that the ps3 upscales the ps2 games onto the HDTV (and stores the saved games onto the hard drive, you never have to purchase another save card).

I have a 60GB.

Really, unless you're planning on chucking all of your old ps2 games (i.e. you've played em and you honestly feel you'll never play em again) then hanging onto the ps2 or BC is recommended. I'm glad I have my BC just for the Singstar games.

It's up to you whether you'll actually use that feature or not on a ps3.
        I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)
        sigpic

Founding Member of the BA!

Comment

• sir clinksalot
          MiceChatter
          • Feb 2005

BC is actually one of the main deciding factors. I don't really see the point of having a PS2 and PS3 (unless I put the PS2 in the bedroom) but I don't want both in the living room.

Then again, I know I won't get $100 for the PS2 on trade-in and if the non-BC PS3 is $100 less than the BC PS3 I'm not so sure it's really worth the extra $100. Does that make sense?

Cherny, you know me, and you know my kids. I'm just not so sure there are too many PS3 games right now that we'll be playing other than Rock Band and I'm dying to get Soul Calibur IV. So the PS2 games are still going to be important for awhile at least.

It's sad that I even have to find one that has BC. They should all have it. :judge:

Comment

• Chernabog
            Earth Intruder
            • Jan 2005

Did you get a HDTV Sir Clinks? I must have missed that thread.... awesome

How much are you going to get for the ps2 turn-in? Honestly, if you get even $50 for it, it's still worth the extra $50 for BC (for me). Also be sure to keep the ps2 save cards -- there's a thing you can buy for the ps3 that will read those cards (and probably transfer them to the hard drive).

It is NOT worth $100 for 20GB of hard drive space, so if BC is important, get it with one.
            I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)
            sigpic

Founding Member of the BA!

Comment

• sir clinksalot
              MiceChatter
              • Feb 2005

^ It's in the works. (the HDTV). Probably get both around the same time.

Comment

• Coast21
                DCA FTW!
                • Apr 2008

The 40gig is being upgraded to the 80 gig this week for the same price. Backwards compatibility isn't really needed. The PS3 is starting to put out some decent titles so current gen games should do you fine.

As far as downloadable content on Wii.. Guitar Hero On Tour will have downloadable content using sd cards so thats some good news on that part. And I think rockband 2 thats coming out this holiday will do the same too but dont quote me on that. With that RB2 you could use the same instruments you have now.
                Everybody's got a laughin' place-
                trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it.

Comment

• justjohn
                  Mr. Faranheit
                  • Jul 2006

Originally posted by Coast21 View Post
                  Backwards compatibility isn't really needed. The PS3 is starting to put out some decent titles so current gen games should do you fine.
                  Yes it is...

Originally posted by sir clinksalot View Post
                  BC is actually one of the main deciding factors.
                  See?
                  Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

Comment

• sir clinksalot
                    MiceChatter
                    • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Coast21 View Post
                    The 40gig is being upgraded to the 80 gig this week for the same price. Backwards compatibility isn't really needed. The PS3 is starting to put out some decent titles so current gen games should do you fine.

As far as downloadable content on Wii.. Guitar Hero On Tour will have downloadable content using sd cards so thats some good news on that part. And I think rockband 2 thats coming out this holiday will do the same too but dont quote me on that. With that RB2 you could use the same instruments you have now.
                    Again, me or my kids don't play violent FPS or GTA or anything like that. Which seems to be the main type of games for the PS3 right now. Sure there are some exceptions. But I still LOVE Star Wars Battlefront, we still have the DDR games for the PS2, among a few. I don't want to lose the ability to play those games. So yes, BC is a necessity.

As for DLC on the Wii ... unfortunately, without a Hard Drive it's still going to be necessary to have an SD, then transfer from the SD to the Wii. Nintendo REALLY dropped the ball on that one.

Although, If Nintendo comes out with a Blu-Ray Wii with a Hard Drive and DLC within the next week or two ... I'm all over it. Hey Nintendo, don't steal my idea, I'll have to sue you.

Cherny, your right, I'd probably get $50 for the PS2 ... but then again, it probably comes down to saving $50 or just putting the PS2 in the bedroom then. I'll probably opt for that.

Comment

• justjohn
                      Mr. Faranheit
                      • Jul 2006

$40 store credit with an extra $20 through Sunday at Gamestop.
                      Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

Comment

• sir clinksalot
                        MiceChatter
                        • Feb 2005

Thanks John.

Comment

• Matt Hamand
                          Collapse the waveform
                          • Jan 2006

This doesn't help much if you want to trade in for it, but Froogle has some deals on the 60gb. Pretty close to the 40gb price. Maybe you could trade it all in just on Rock Band, then splurge on the PS3.

Follow me on Twitter: @matthamand

Comment

• flynnibus
                            MiceChatter
                            • Jun 2006

Reasons to ditch the PS2 and find a PS3 with BC
                            - wireless controllers
                            - less clutter

Problems with older PS3s
                            - less HD space
                            - non-rumble controllers ($$ to upgrade)

To me it would simply boil down to controllers and tidiness. Keeping the PS2 is the best thing you can do if you want to play PS2 games - there isn't going to be any compatibility issues.

Some counter points why you wouldn't keep it
                            - another device sitting around.
                            - upscaling - Who cares? Your TV will do the same job for you
                            - need a component input? - Shouldn't be an issue with most setups
                            - toggling between systems. (more controllers/etc lying around)

Given your strong need for PS2 playing and the fact you already have it. Forget BC and just keep the PS2. The only reason I'd say BC was worth it would be to cut down on the controller wiring and clutter.
                            Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
                            Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Originally posted by sleepyjeff
                            Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X