This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just got a PS3 - Need some help with game ideas

Wow, here's a thread I never thought I'd be starting! I could use some help from all the experienced gamers here. Thanks to an awesome deal through the Amazon Customer Vote Black Friday contest I was able to score a PS3 at an awesome price. My husband is beyond happy and has already given me a list of games he'd like. While these are all great for him, me - not so much.

I don't play games much, in fact the last system we bought was a Playstation about 10 years ago and I haven't touched it in 5 or more years now. I do play computer games from time to time and my absolute favorite are the Diablo games from Blizzard. So I'm wondering if there are any games similar to Diablo for the PS3? Or any games that you just think are "must haves" so I can check them out.

I'd sure appreciate the help since I have limited time to search the net and there are so many games to chose from. I'm just trying to give my husband a small list in case he wants to buy any for Christmas.

Thanks so much!

Re: Just got a PS3 - Need some help with game ideas

Most people I know use the PS3 player as a Blu-Ray almost exclusively, so I can't help you there. Sorry.

Comment

Nice score on the Amazon deal, it was pretty sweet as I recall.

My PS3 has been primarily a Blu-ray player, however I have played a few great games. I honestly can't think of any Diablo-esque games. On a side note, Titan Quest for the PC is supposed to be along the same line.

As far as PS3 offerings in general:

Check out Little Big Planet, which just came out. It's a Mario-esque side-scrolling platformer with a remarkably robust level creation tool. The user generated content will keep you entertained indefinately, even if you don't get creative yourself.

I recently played Bioshock, and it is now one of my favorite games of all time. It's a first person shooter with a lot of different ways to play in terms of strategy. It has a decent story and the atmosphere of the game is top-notch. Play the demo, it's enough to decide if the full game is right for you.
      My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

Comment

Metal Gear Solid 4 - greatest game of all time

LittleBigPlanet - HIGHLY recommend

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune - Tomb Raider/Indy clone storywise, but seriously alot of fun and its by the same company that did the Jak & Daxter series

speaking of which, did you happen to get one that plays PS2 games? you might fare a bit better with htose unfortunately =/

but big points for liking Diablo =]
        PSN: ItsTheRocketeer
        Nintendo Network: ItsTheRocketeer
        3DS: 3050-7580-4526

Comment

Besides the games listed above, a game that is DEFINITELY worth a rental is Heavenly Sword (don't buy it -- it's too short, but it is very fun). Fallout 3 (first person rpg set in post-apocalypse Washington DC) is also really cool (but if you have the computer specs I would recommend the PC version of that game over the PS3 version).

Other games that have gotten good reviews are Dead Space (horror survival/shooter set in space), Eternal Sonata (Japanese RPG), Valkyria Chronicles (Japanese RPG).

Plus of course at some point Final Fantasy 13 will come out!

Congrats on your purchase -- just FYI, the best sites to look at for reviews of games if you aren't sure what the game is about or how good it is are gamespot.com, ign.com, and 1up.com.

Also, though you probably don't want to get a used game as a gift, for future game purchases you should head to a local GameStop and pay for a discount card. I think it costs $14/yr, it comes with a gaming magazine subscription, it gets you 10% off of used games (which are already discounted from the regular price) and 10% extra credit when you trade in used games. Oh, and the used games are guaranteed to work. It's a good deal.

Anyway, have fun with the system
          I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)
          sigpic

Founding Member of the BA!

Comment

Originally posted by BC_DisneyGeek View Post

I recently played Bioshock, and it is now one of my favorite games of all time. It's a first person shooter with a lot of different ways to play in terms of strategy. It has a decent story and the atmosphere of the game is top-notch. Play the demo, it's enough to decide if the full game is right for you.
            +1 for Bioshock. It is my favorite FPS single player game. The storyline, scenery, and atmosphere are fantastic!

You might want to try the Star Wars: Force Unleashed demo as well. It is a pretty fun game to play, especially if you are a Star Wars fan.

I will say to avoid Assassin's Creed. Way to repetitive, and the ending was lousy.

Comment

Man I loved Assassin's Creed... That game was awesome... I will say AVOID like the black plague Hail to the Chimp... That game is HORRIBLE!!!!

Comment

I bought Assassin's Creed for super cheap used, like $20.

I think it is fun and pretty, but way WAY too repetitive. There are four or five types of missions, and it just repeats them over and over.
                I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)
                sigpic

Founding Member of the BA!

Comment

Thank you all so much for the game suggestions and advice on reviews/rentals. This has helped me a bunch and I've given my husband a list of some games.

Comment

Working...
                  X