Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

MiceChat Rules

A list of MiceChat's rules can be found at the top of the Disneyland forum.
2 of 2 < >

Ad Blockers

Please do not use ad blocking software when visiting MiceChat. It costs money to keep MiceChat online, and ad revenue offsets this. Thank you.
See more
See less

Guild Wars - Who has played?

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guild Wars - Who has played?

Hey kids...

I just bought Guild Wars but I haven't opened it yet... because I don't want it to turn into another Everquest.

Specifically, I can't play the time of game that you have to join a guild where you need "raid attendance" or "you gotta be on X amount of days per week otherwise we boot you" or "we want you to be on at 5pm during the week" type crap that the endgame of EQ put you on.

GW seems like a pretty fun game and seems broken down a bit more so all missions are done with a smaller amount of people.

So the questions I have for those that have played (besides any comments you have on the above) are

1) Does Guild Wars require you to do gigantic raids (a la Everquest) where you need to be on at a certain time to meet your guild?

2) How many characters can you create per account?

Thanks so much! I don't want to open the game if it is going to turn into another EQ --- I quit that game for a reason and I donn't want to open a whole new can of worms
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)
    sigpic

Founding Member of the BA!

Re: Guild Wars - Who has played?

answers from my son...lol

#1 answer to this one is 'no'
    #2 answer to this one is 'four' :-)

man of many words...& this coming from a writer! lol

Comment

Guild Wars is MUCH more story based. Everything (besides the main cities and guild halls) are a single instance. Best of all, there's no cost to play, EVER!
      -Monorail Man

Comment

Originally posted by Monorail Man
        Guild Wars is MUCH more story based. Everything (besides the main cities and guild halls) are a single instance. Best of all, there's no cost to play, EVER!
        So if you are in a player guild on GW in the high-end of the game, what does that entail? Are the instanced missions simply made only for groups under a certain amount of toons?

For example, in Everquest, in order to progress past certain areas you had to battle huge monsters that took between 40-70ish players to kill. The only way to get past many of these monsters was to join a high-end raiding guild (getting into one is basically like applying for a job, no joke). To be in a high-end raiding guild (and maintain active status), you had to meet up with the other members of your guild a certain number of days per week at a particular time so you could go raiding together.. usually between 3-5 days per week. That is what I cannot do (due to work and RL social life). I don't want to be sucked into a game where I need "video game attendance", or where I HAVE to log into the game and play even when I don't want to, because otherwise I'd be "fired" from the guild.

World of Warcraft is another example of a MMORPG where you eventually HAVE to meet people at certain times of the day certain days of the week or you cannot progress.

Heheh true about about no monthly cost to play -- tho GW:Factions is coming out, and if you want to have your toon from GW explore those areas you need to spend $50. Usually when an expansion comes out for one of these types of games the items/weapons are better in the expansion. The ones who purchase the expansion always have a distinct advantage over one who doesn't.
        I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)
        sigpic

Comment

Guild Wars' battles are never that large.

In fact, the maximum amount of people you can have in a party is 8 (10, IIRC, in Factions' Alliance battles).

It's true that this game is linear compared to MMORPGs. The game even offers henchmen (or AI controlled partners) to fill up your party when you can't/don't want to find other human players to play with.

Comment

Originally posted by Chernabog
            World of Warcraft is another example of a MMORPG where you eventually HAVE to meet people at certain times of the day certain days of the week or you cannot progress.
            That's why I will never play a game like WoW again. I was in a popular "casual" raiding guild. Casual is in quotations because they were actually hardcore. It was horrible. I was a priest so if I was on the computer I would get IMs "Why aren't you at the raid?" I felt like I had to play and it wasn't fun. I'll stick to playing games like The Sims.

Comment

Originally posted by LuvsLilo
              That's why I will never play a game like WoW again. I was in a popular "casual" raiding guild. Casual is in quotations because they were actually hardcore. It was horrible. I was a priest so if I was on the computer I would get IMs "Why aren't you at the raid?" I felt like I had to play and it wasn't fun. I'll stick to playing games like The Sims.
              Seriously. Any time you find yourself making social plans around video game time (or worse, cancelling social plans to play video games), rushing home from work to be there for a raid head count, or playing when you don't want to play just to maintain an active status.... there's a big problem Whether the game has a monthly fee or not, I don't want to be sucked into a game that causes stress in real life!

But it sounds more and more like GW isn't that type of game.
              sigpic

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X