Nintendo's new Wii system info released.

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OogieBoogie
    Supervillan Extrodinaire
    MiceChat News Team
    • Sep 2005

Nintendo's new Wii system info released.

The hot toy this Christmas?

Nintendo Wii Launches in the US November 20 for $250

September 14, 2006

By Alice Hill
    RealTechNewsSeattle PI the launch date and price point for its next generation console, the oddly named Nintendo Wii. According to the leak, the Wii launches on November 19, 2006 for a price of $250 USD. Today the new website for the Wii also went live. (Click here to check out Wii.com)
    To come with Wii Sports, which includes golf, bowling, baseball and tennis games controlled by swinging the wii-mote. 25 titles available by end of year. 30 classic games, including Zelda, Super Mario Bros. and Donkey Kong. Source: Gizmodo
    We Say:And They Say:
    Growing older is manditory
    Growing up is however, optional
  • Chernabog
    Earth Intruder
    • Jan 2005

Re: Nintendo's new Wii system info released.

Woo woo!!! I am so getting one! My roommate says he wants to laugh at me as I shoot a bow and arrow with the Wiimote onto the screen, listening to the "thwip" noise emitted from the controller

That video rocks, BTW. Too too cool. F the PS3
    Last edited by Chernabog; 09-14-2006, 11:47 AM.
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)
    sigpic

Founding Member of the BA!

Comment

• ni_teach
      Just this guy......
      • Jan 2005

Does anyone else think that sony is in trouble?
      Plague Of Vampires | A Novel by Eric and Elizabeth Gerds:

Buy Now at Amazon

Comment

• sir clinksalot
        MiceChatter
        • Feb 2005

^ Absolutely!!! I have no desire to buy the PS3, or XBOX 360. But I will be all over this. Especially since the games are still about $50.

Comment

• figment1986
          Banned User
          • Jan 2005

Mom.. i know what else i want for christmas... lol

Comment

• Hyperbole
            I'm your huckleberry.
            • May 2005

My other half has been talking about this system for months! It looks pretty slick. I have a feeling we'll be adding it too our gaming library before too long.

Originally posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
            Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Comment

• JerrodDRagon
              Adventure First, Ad Last
              • Mar 2006

WII's the best new system its
              the cheapest
              Free Online game play (and free Browser until June)
              Bext Games of the 3 sytems
              and comes with a FREE Game WII sports

How can you beat all that???
              Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

• crazy go nuts
                Master of Suspense
                • Sep 2005

So the games are controlled just from that little remote? That's kinda cool but it kind of makes for a wierd controller.

"To Serve Man... it's a cookbook!!!"

Ever heard of the dyslexic man who sold his soul to Santa?

Comment

• JerrodDRagon
                  Adventure First, Ad Last
                  • Mar 2006

Originally posted by crazy go nuts View Post
                  So the games are controlled just from that little remote? That's kinda cool but it kind of makes for a wierd controller.
                  There's a remote and a Little Controller.
                  Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

• Soulquarian
                    MiceChatter
                    • Jan 2005

Originally posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
                    WII's the best new system its
                    the cheapest

Best Games of the 3 systems? O Rly?

It has the potential to have the best games for sure, especially first party titles. But Nintendo hasn't had decent third party support since SNES. Hopefully developers will be inspired to mae use of the Wii's innovative features. As of yet, it's far to early to tell.

Originally posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
                    There's a remote and a Little Controller.
                    At cost. Like most Nintendo consoles, you'll have to buy a peripheral. The problem with Nintendo peripherals is that they cost a lot, are usually bulky, and only work for one game. Waste of money IMO.

Looking forward to seeing the Wii when it comes out, but I don't forsee a take over of Sony's market share. The Wii is so cheap that it allows consumers to buy two systems in one generation, and since most of us will have an HD tv within the next five years (they're getting CRAZY cheap), most of us will want to benefit from HD gaming and video. No HD support from Nintendo has been announced.

Comment

• frecky
                      itty bitty
                      • Sep 2006

Ill let my brother get it first and see how I do with it, then decide if I wanna take the plunge.
                      "I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. "Groucho Marx

Comment

• barfownz
                        Legend
                        • Nov 2005

I'm gettin' this!

Comment

• Magus
                          MiceChatter
                          • Jun 2006

Originally posted by sir clinksalot View Post
                          ^ Absolutely!!! I have no desire to buy the PS3, or XBOX 360. But I will be all over this. Especially since the games are still about $50.
                          The new games are 60 the ports of Gamecube with no added anything but Wii mote features are 50 eventually all Gamecube games will be around 60 bucks dude.

Comment

• Magus
                            MiceChatter
                            • Jun 2006

[quote=JerrodDRagon;991859]WII's the best new system its
                            the cheapest
                            Yeah I guess the other 2 are more expensive cause they are actually Next Gen consoles. The Wii has motion sesnor yes but inside it is not much at all.
                            The browser in the PS3 is free and according to Sony all online games will be free including free content.
                            How can you tell if they all arent out yet dude?
                            The PS3 comes with a free flash game and may come with a free Demo Blu-Ray disc but no confirmed.
                            Blu-Ray can :P and Halo can even though I'm not found of Halo so can Final Fantasy, Devil MC Cry etc.......

Comment

• Mr Ness
                              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Soulquarian View Post
                              Best Games of the 3 systems? O Rly?

It has the potential to have the best games for sure, especially first party titles. But Nintendo hasn't had decent third party support since SNES. Hopefully developers will be inspired to mae use of the Wii's innovative features. As of yet, it's far to early to tell.
                              I completely agree. It is the same issue Nintendo is having on the DS. Nintendo's titles are great, as are select titles from major third parties (Ubisoft, Capcom), but the vast majority pigeonhole a DS feature into the game just to make the game seem relevent to the platform.

However, the nine launch titles Ubisoft is pledging (although some of those are liscensed), as well as the support of Capcom, EA, etc. has me hoping that a wider selection of games is in the future.

At cost. Like most Nintendo consoles, you'll have to buy a peripheral. The problem with Nintendo peripherals is that they cost a lot, are usually bulky, and only work for one game. Waste of money IMO.
                              True, Nintendo is bad about peripherals. However, so is Sony (eyetoy anyone?). However, the difference between controller prices can be taken into account when you consider that at least Nintendo isn't trying to sell the same controller to consumers for a third generation in a row.

Think about it this way: at most you'll need to buy an additional three Wiimotes at an extra $20 (over PS3/XBOX360 controller price) a piece. That is $60 more than their competitors. However, XBOX games are an extra $10 per game, and PS3 games are an extra $20 a game. Buy 6 XBOX games, or 3 PS3 games, and you're back to square one.

Looking forward to seeing the Wii when it comes out, but I don't forsee a take over of Sony's market share. The Wii is so cheap that it allows consumers to buy two systems in one generation, and since most of us will have an HD tv within the next five years (they're getting CRAZY cheap), most of us will want to benefit from HD gaming and video. No HD support from Nintendo has been announced.
                              I agree and disagree. I agree that Sony will not fail in the way everyone thinks. I believe that Sony and XBOX will be fairly close, with Wii in a not so distant third. However, I disagree that when consumers buy two consoles, they will buy a Wii and a PS3. The base consles of a Wii and a 360 combined are about the same price as a base PS3.

Oh, and I can't wait for the Virtual Consle. That is what I'm most excited about. Oh, and of course Twilight Princess.

Comment

• Soulquarian
                                MiceChatter
                                • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Mr Ness View Post
                                True, Nintendo is bad about peripherals. However, so is Sony (eyetoy anyone?). However, the difference between controller prices can be taken into account when you consider that at least Nintendo isn't trying to sell the same controller to consumers for a third generation in a row.
                                Even though the eyetoy is a fairly under utilized peripheral, at least it was incorporated into other games. Face mapping for SOCOM, 3 more games released for it, etc. Even then, that's one peripheral, as opposed to the mountain of Nintendo devices.

Think about it this way: at most you'll need to buy an additional three Wiimotes at an extra $20 (over PS3/XBOX360 controller price) a piece. That is $60 more than their competitors. However, XBOX games are an extra $10 per game, and PS3 games are an extra $20 a game. Buy 6 XBOX games, or 3 PS3 games, and you're back to square one.
                                You'll need more than that! You'll need to buy 3 Wiimotes for your friends, and if you guys are playing old school games, or fighting games, you'll need to buy the other Wii controller. That's going to cost a grip.

As far as games, you get what you pay for. Currently Wii games are available for pre-order at $50. Sony says their games will cost $59, so there's only a 10 dollar difference.

Personally, I WANT to be able to play my games in HD. Having that much space on a disc is going to be amazing for detail. We'll definitely see a difference when a multi-platform game gets released. That's up to the consumer. I rarely buy games anyway since most can be beaten in a rental period, but I really don't want to buy extra peripherals. And with a Blu-Ray player, you'd already be up $1000.

I agree and disagree. I agree that Sony will not fail in the way everyone thinks. I believe that Sony and XBOX will be fairly close, with Wii in a not so distant third. However, I disagree that when consumers buy two consoles, they will buy a Wii and a PS3. The base consles of a Wii and a 360 combined are about the same price as a base PS3.

Oh, and I can't wait for the Virtual Consle. That is what I'm most excited about. Oh, and of course Twilight Princess.[/quote]

Comment

• Mr Ness
                                  • Mar 2005

Even though the eyetoy is a fairly under utilized peripheral, at least it was incorporated into other games. Face mapping for SOCOM, 3 more games released for it, etc. Even then, that's one peripheral, as opposed to the mountain of Nintendo devices.
                                  I'm really not sure which peripheral you are talking about. The DK Bongos, which have been used for 4 games so far, or the GC/GBA link cable, which have been used for a lot more. It's not like Nintendo charges extra for more of their peripherals. The DK Bongos were bundled with Donkey Konga for $50, and the GC/GBA cable has been bundled with multiple games at price. The microphone was even bundled with Mario Party 7 and Odama at price. Those are all the peripherals I can think of.

You'll need more than that! You'll need to buy 3 Wiimotes for your friends, and if you guys are playing old school games, or fighting games, you'll need to buy the other Wii controller. That's going to cost a grip.
                                  The Wiimotes actually store your own character information, game saves, etc. so if you have friends, then they are encouraged to bring their own Wiimotes.

The Classic controller is a $20 shell that snaps onto the Wiimote, and for N64 era games, the GameCube controller will be used.

Sure that seems like a lot of different controllers, but you really can't compare the amount of controllers to other systems, because Nintendo is enabling you to play 5 different generations of games all on one console.

As far as games, you get what you pay for. Currently Wii games are available for pre-order at $50. Sony says their games will cost $59, so there's only a 10 dollar difference.
                                  Thank you for correcting me. The last I heard, 1st party games were $70.

Personally, I WANT to be able to play my games in HD. Having that much space on a disc is going to be amazing for detail. We'll definitely see a difference when a multi-platform game gets released. That's up to the consumer. I rarely buy games anyway since most can be beaten in a rental period, but I really don't want to buy extra peripherals. And with a Blu-Ray player, you'd already be up $1000.
                                  However, I think previous Sony fans resent Sony for forcing a DVD player on their fans that might not even succeed. True, they did it with PlayStation2, but then there wasn't a war over the next generation format like there is now, and it didn't raise prices noticably.

I truly believe that the HD debate is all but irrelevant to all but 2-3% of gamers.

Do you really only rent most games now? I think that more than speaks poorly on the quality of game being released this generation than anything.

Comment

• Soulquarian
                                    MiceChatter
                                    • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Mr Ness View Post
                                    However, I think previous Sony fans resent Sony for forcing a DVD player on their fans that might not even succeed. True, they did it with PlayStation2, but then there wasn't a war over the next generation format like there is now, and it didn't raise prices noticably.
                                    Blu-ray has the most ground. It has the most support of the studios, better features. The only thing negative is a slightly higher price point. And even then, it's not enough to polarize someone.

I truly believe that the HD debate is all but irrelevant to all but 2-3% of gamers.
                                    What? You should have heard Xbox fans cry for days about how games were supporting 16:9, surround sound, and 1080p

Do you really only rent most games now? I think that more than speaks poorly on the quality of game being released this generation than anything.
                                    I work at Blockbuster, so it makes little to no sense for me to buy games that I can beat in about 15-20 hours. I buy PSP games sense they usually have a high replay value, online, and wireless connectivity (a lot of opponents between classes!), but I rarely buy console games.

However, I can help but look at Nintendo, which insists that games not be too challenging as to alienate non-gamers. That's the whole purpose of the Wiimote anyway right?

I guess it works from a financial standpoint. A lot of micechatters really enjoyed KH II, despite the fact that many of them rarely play games. Personally, I slept throught the thing. I literally pressed X while eating a sandwhich and beat most of the enemies.

Comment

• Magus
                                      MiceChatter
                                      • Jun 2006

Blu-ray has the most ground. It has the most support of the studios, better features. The only thing negative is a slightly higher price point. And even then, it's not enough to polarize someone.

What? You should have heard Xbox fans cry for days about how games were supporting 16:9, surround sound, and 1080p

I work at Blockbuster, so it makes little to no sense for me to buy games that I can beat in about 15-20 hours. I buy PSP games sense they usually have a high replay value, online, and wireless connectivity (a lot of opponents between classes!), but I rarely buy console games.

However, I can help but look at Nintendo, which insists that games not be too challenging as to alienate non-gamers. That's the whole purpose of the Wiimote anyway right?

I guess it works from a financial standpoint. A lot of micechatters really enjoyed KH II, despite the fact that many of them rarely play games. Personally, I slept throught the thing. I literally pressed X while eating a sandwhich and beat most of the enemies.
                                      I agree with out 98%! The other 2 % comes from UNIVERSAL sadly they moved to HD DVD and other companies followed it is really worrying me.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                      Working...
                                      X